Dynadot

discuss Dilemma...Develop? Sell? Hybrid?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

ThatNameGuy

Top Member
Impact
Many of the domains I own are registered with a business idea in mind. Unfortunately development takes a lot of time and money that limits its potential:xf.frown:

While I've mentioned several of the ideas I've had in the past, the most recent idea I have involves "scoring" domains and business names similar to the way scoring works with credit, debt, vitals, and personal performance.

What to do? Stand alone, I believe the domains I own associated with "scoring" are pretty good, but with a business plan/model backing them, it should make them more valuable?

I mentioned "Hybrid" because I'm certainly not a developer, however I can add value to the name(s). What would you do? Thanks

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
[QUOTE="Wordpress may be a good starting point, but not for me. When i ran a successful medical billing business, my IT partner handled all that. I'm the idea guy, the startup guy and the name guy ....[/QUOTE]

Bulloney

Sometimes you have to get your hands dirty. Note as well that I believe developing a domain is a life experience that someone who holds a domain portfolio should go through. It helps to see another side of the business - from the perspective of the guys who might actually do something with the domain you sell them.

•••
phD in computer science and you can't work with Wordpress? You're full of it.
uhhhhh? Did i say "I" have a PhD in statistics? I took statistics in college 50 years ago and did just fine. I think I got a "B", but from what I can tell, statistics hasn't changed much in the last 50 years.

•••
Am i responding to your Air-Guitar Marketing Strategy? Do the folks in the UK know your level of expertise?
Inquiring minds would luv to know:xf.wink:
I deleted an unnecessary remark to you. It's no fun poking needles or mocking the bubbles people put themselves in by choice.

Many here want to advance up the domaining hierarchy so time is better spent with those earnest ones.

•••
[QUOTE="Wordpress may be a good starting point, but not for me. When i ran a successful medical billing business, my IT partner handled all that. I'm the idea guy, the startup guy and the name guy ....

Bulloney

Sometimes you have to get your hands dirty. Note as well that I believe developing a domain is a life experience that someone who holds a domain portfolio should go through. It helps to see another side of the business - from the perspective of the guys who might actually do something with the domain you sell them.[/QUOTE]
Maybe if this were my first business experience I might agree, but at 70 years young, I don't have the time or the desire to "get my hands dirty" with the technical side. My partner in the medical business had a computer science degree from LSU (1970), and did I have to know anything about how he programmed and developed our medical application software? No, I don't think so, and here's the company 40 years after I founded it; http://www.acsel.org/. I'm really enjoying the fact that old time domainers are just "riders" like my favorite NamePros member likes to call them.

All this said...I've learned a lot from NamePros...especially from those who insist I don't know what I'm doing:xf.grin:....Seriously, anyone out there know anything about "scoring" and care to discuss?

•••
phD in computer science and you can't work with Wordpress? You're full of it.
Excuse me...do you have a PhD in reading comprehension? Seriously, I didn't say "I" have a degree in computer science?

•••
Excuse me...do you have a PhD in reading comprehension? Seriously, I didn't say "I" have a degree in computer science?

I know you pointed out it was your friend who actually had the PHD but then you wrote it:

Just one more thing wurdd...i suppose you have a PHd in computer science, statistics or something similar? If you do, you may want to talk to me....who knows, you may learn something.

Why would they want to talk to you if you're not the one who has it? Would you be the go between? Then, what does that have to do with selling domains or anything else? Having your PHD friend hasn't helped in that department.

Last edited:
•••
You ask questions but don't learn from the answers.
Either you develop domains to add real business value to the world, or you hold the gems. No middle ground. Wrong, I guess the middle ground would be to sell for equity in the company who's buying, but that only works for the top percentile of one word domains.
Either way, "scoring" has only 3 reported sales to date, highest being 2k in 2016. And only .com btw.

You're right you didn't. You can't work with WP so how would you right?

•••
Thanks for another entertaining thread @Bulloney ... Keep them coming.

•••
FYI I sold RiskScore(.)com in 2011 for $1500 at SEDO

•••
Thanks for another entertaining thread @Bulloney ... Keep them coming.
Hey Tiger...I know you're saying that tongue in cheek, but the entertainment value I get from this is priceless, and I'm sure the feeling is mutual:xf.wink: Maybe you might like a little piece of "Score or Appraise My Brand" or maybe a little piece of "Score or Appraise My Domains" I know at LSU statistics profs teach about "scoring", but do they teach it at other SEC schools? Inquiring minds would luv to know.

•••
FYI I sold RiskScore(.)com in 2011 for $1500 at SEDO
Great name garptrader, and true to what you were saying, no one has developed it. It appraises at GD for 5K and Estibot for 3K. My scoring names are a little more specific in that they "score" Brands and Domains.
Again, my domains have a lot more value if developed, or sold to someone that understands the idea and value of "scoring".

RiskScore(.)com is a lot like CreditBureau(.)com in that it's pretty generic. However, CreditBureau(.)com leads to Credit Bureau Systems, Inc or CBSI in Tuscaloosa, Alabama and it appraises for a lot of $$$.

•••
•••
I have to agree with the general opinion, Your stubborn ol'git Richard ;) but even I look out for your posts. I like that idea that your the "start-up" guy - but, aren't they the ones that put-up the investment money in the first place and I don't mean just $1.99 (or even $9.99) for a domain registration.

Even after my 19 years in the domain game . I can't see anything that you suggest as being anything not said before. even in my early days everyone thought you had to have a 'Super-Premium' domain to work with. I admire your tenacity but I can imagine your probably only a couple of months from those renewal fees starting to hit and that's when reality bites.

my reasonable success came from identifying the markets/technologies that were already in some sort of early development or investment stage. Trying to invent a market (or a hybrid of a actual existing one) from a domain name registration stage, just will prove to be a waste of money, I'm sorry to say

Last edited:
•••
The idea of domain investing is to acquire domains which would make for good brands for a business. There is nothing inherently wrong with alternative extension domains if they make sense. But the resale market for them is far more limited. Most weekly sales reports will show about half of domain sales being .com while the hundreds of other extensions fight for the leftovers. I have seen small businesses using .net, .info, .biz and .us. Some are starting to use the newer extensions. Many will fail not entirely because of the domain. But if you choose to brand on a confusing domain it will hurt your business' prospects. If you invest in extensions which rarely experience aftermarket sales your portfolio turn will suffer.

•••
@Bulloney so... You want to make a tool for scoring (as in rating?) domains and brands? Because I think that tool is called GoDaddy Appraisals.. And Estibot.. And expireddomains.net.. And NamePros

Last edited:
•••
I have to agree with the general opinion, Your stubborn ol'git Richard ;) but even I look out for your posts. I like that idea that your the "start-up" guy - but, aren't they the ones that put-up the investment money in the first place and I don't mean just $1.99 (or even $9.99) for a domain registration.

Even after my 19 years in the domain game . I can't see anything that you suggest as being anything not said before. even in my early days everyone thought you had to have a 'Super-Premium' domain to work with. I admire your tenacity but I can imagine your probably only a couple of months from those renewal fees starting to hit and that's when reality bites.

my reasonable success came from identifying the markets that were already in some sort of early development or investment stage. Trying to invent a market (or a hybrid of a actual existing one) from a domain name registration stage, just will prove to be a waste of money, I'm sorry to say
Bailey...it's been a while, but just six months since I joined NamePros...oh, eight months to be more precise:xf.wink: Before registering the majority of the domains I own now, I was simply developing a couple of brand(s) similar to "Life is Good", and registering a couple hundred domains that I've dropped because they no longer apply. While I spent about $1,500 registering those domains, I've renewed only a few, thus a minimal expense. I'm sure the same thing will happen with the majority of domains I registered since joining NamePros...thus I'll incur minimal expense again. The entry level into this business, even the way I've entered, is less than any business I've ever started. However, the learning experience, and the FUN is immeasurable:xf.grin: I don't know if you know anything about "scoring" Bailey, but I happen to know quite a bit amount about it. I'm sure you wouldn't pay me to score anything, whether it be your domains, your brands, or the area where you live in the UK. I'm sure you don't see any value in it, but I'm betting that non domainers who own branded businesses and have domains may be curious enough to pay a few bucks for me to score and appraise their names. Keep in mind there are over 300 Million domains and over 100 Million Business/Brands/Names in the world to score and appraise. Success in the "scoring" and "appraisal" has nothing whatsoever to do with the domain industry...Thank God!

Thanks for chiming in Bailey, but the renewals you refer to are really a moot point:xf.wink:...especially when fewer than 25% of them will probably be renewed.

•••
but I'm betting that non domainers who own branded businesses and have domains may be curious enough to pay a few bucks for me to score and appraise their names.

:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

•••
@Bulloney so... You want to make a tool for scoring (as in rating?) domains and brands? Because I think that tool is called GoDaddy Appraisals.. And Estibot.. And expireddomains.net.. And NamePros
You're missing the point my friend. "Scoring" and "Appraisals" are totally different, but that's not to say appraisals may not be subject to scores.

•••
•••
That's why you're a domainer/air guitar, and I'm a business guy, and a trend setter:xf.wink:
my 5 and 6 figure sales represent the business wannabes like you dream of

•••
My two cents:

As a developer, I would never fall for your crap. Most developers are swimming in lucrative business ideas, they just don't have the time. Think about this: what value do you bring to the table? A domain name is cheap, ideas are worthless unless executed well, and to be frank, you bring nothing to the table. Do you expect a developer to spend hundreds of hours building this for free so they can have the "privilege" of being part of your non-existant company? Yeah right. Most of us work at real companies that pay salaries and everyone brings something to the table in valuable experience and skills. You are not special. Figure out what value you have or no technical cofounder will ever partner with you to do 90% of the work for 10% of the reward.

•••
Lol @Bulloney you're pushing scoring like @DOMAIN ILLUMINATI pushes .top. Your post formatting is even similarrrr (how do you do those fading letters DI?)

•••
I think most members here on Namepros, really just humor Bulloney along and lets be honest I don't think he takes himself too seriously either. My guess is he realizes he missed the boat on domains. the hint comes from the early(ish) reg of "MakeSomethingHappen.com" 2001 and that was probably a good time to go with 'Catch-phrases' or indeed any of the developing technology names - But he didn't. Anyway I'm sure he had some successes in his life-time but he can't retrospect it to domains.

Nope he wont make a name for himself in the domain world either, my guess he will find something else to occupy his retirement years before long, but hey for humorous posts he can't be beaten

Last edited:
•••
My two cents:

As a developer, I would never fall for your crap. Most developers are swimming in lucrative business ideas, they just don't have the time. Think about this: what value do you bring to the table? A domain name is cheap, ideas are worthless unless executed well, and to be frank, you bring nothing to the table. Do you expect a developer to spend hundreds of hours building this for free so they can have the "privilege" of being part of your non-existant company? Yeah right. Most of us work at real companies that pay salaries and everyone brings something to the table in valuable experience and skills. You are not special. Figure out what value you have or no technical cofounder will ever partner with you to do 90% of the work for 10% of the reward.
LMAO...so you don't believe I can bring ideas and businesses to fruition? You couldn't work with me anyway simply because of your poor attitude. You wouldn't understand my business model anyway because you're not a business guy...just a crappy developer:xf.wink: Everyone is special in there own way, and until you realize that, your life will continue to be miserable.Cheers:)

•••
LMAO...so you don't believe I can bring ideas and businesses to fruition? You couldn't work with me anyway simply because of your poor attitude. You wouldn't understand my business model anyway because you're not a business guy...just a crappy developer:xf.wink: Everyone is special in there own way, and until you realize that, your life will continue to be miserable.Cheers:)

And yet I have served on the executive teams of multi-million dollar companies. But, you are right, I wouldn't understand anyway...😂

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back