IT.COM

discuss Dilemma...Develop? Sell? Hybrid?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

ThatNameGuy

Top Member
Impact
Many of the domains I own are registered with a business idea in mind. Unfortunately development takes a lot of time and money that limits its potential:xf.frown:

While I've mentioned several of the ideas I've had in the past, the most recent idea I have involves "scoring" domains and business names similar to the way scoring works with credit, debt, vitals, and personal performance.

What to do? Stand alone, I believe the domains I own associated with "scoring" are pretty good, but with a business plan/model backing them, it should make them more valuable?

I mentioned "Hybrid" because I'm certainly not a developer, however I can add value to the name(s). What would you do? Thanks

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think most members here on Namepros, really just humor Bulloney along and lets be honest I don't think he takes himself too seriously either. My guess is he realizes he missed the boat on domains. the hint comes from the early(ish) reg of "MakeSomethingHappen.com" 2001 and that was probably a good time to go with 'Catch-phrases' or indeed any of the developing technology names - But he didn't. Anyway I'm sure he had some successes in his life-time but he can't retrospect it to domains.

Nope he wont make a name for himself in the domain world either, my guess he will find something else to occupy his retirement years before long, but hey for humorous posts he can't be beaten
Bailey...thanks for at least acknowledging my entertainment value:xf.wink: Like I said...you wouldn't buy anything I might create because you're much smarter than all the business people I know, have entertained and worked with over the years. I score you a perfect 10 because you're so smart(n)

•••
And yet I have served on the executive teams of multi-million dollar companies. But, you are right, I wouldn't understand anyway...😂
You mean you're just a team member, and not a team leader? In case you didn't notice, it's the leaders who you work for...not the other way around:xf.smile:

•••
Hopefully, I'm just smart enough Not-to-Bite is good enough for me

•••
Hopefully, I'm just smart enough Not-to-Bite is good enough for me
Bailey...don't need you or any other domainers to bite...Thank God:xf.grin:

•••
hey like me your in retirement, and not necessarily through choice. still my mantra is spend at least 200 hours investigating and choosing your domain investments for every hour you spend talking about them has served me well. And of course the several hours in sales negotiations and identifying you have to bolt on top

Last edited:
•••
@Bulloney

You are a trend setter all right, the problem is you try and set a new trend every week. Try and focus on one and then try and make some money out of it. You keep going on about how you are a business man first, if that was the case, you wouldn't be changing extensions every 2 weeks. Stop talking about your business models, you dont seem to have one because after a week of floating ideas around namepros and people telling you that model wont work, you jump onto a new business idea. Its fine saying you all these people in the golf industry, but that doesnt help if they are interested in a golf domain, they will be either golf execs, enthusiasts or players, not developers, so they wont have a clue what a domain is or what you do with it.

Just try focus on one thing, the best thing is to buy 1 or 2 decent names and then try and sell them, you could own a couple of very nice names with all the money you have spend on worthless GTLD's

Good luck

•••
hey like me your in retirement, and not necessarily through choice. still my mantra is spend at least 200 hours investigating and choosing your domain investments for every hour you spend talking about them has served me well
Bailey...that would be "you're" in retirement not "your" in retirement. btw, who said I'm in retirement? Do you mean just because I'm 70? In my case, 70 is the new 35 when it comes to business. If I recall, you use to work in the corporate world....the difference between you and me, I am the corporate world, albeit maybe not on the scale you're accustomed to. And My Mantra: "Make Something Happen" differs considerably from yours, and it's served me well:xf.wink:

•••
@Bulloney

You are a trend setter all right, the problem is you try and set a new trend every week. Try and focus on one and then try and make some money out of it. You keep going on about how you are a business man first, if that was the case, you wouldn't be changing extensions every 2 weeks. Stop talking about your business models, you dont seem to have one because after a week of floating ideas around namepros and people telling you that model wont work, you jump onto a new business idea. Its fine saying you all these people in the golf industry, but that doesnt help if they are interested in a golf domain, they will be either golf execs, enthusiasts or players, not developers, so they wont have a clue what a domain is or what you do with it.

Just try focus on one thing, the best thing is to buy 1 or 2 decent names and then try and sell them, you could own a couple of very nice names with all the money you have spend on worthless GTLD's

Good luck[/QUOTE

Where have you been Giles? While you've been away I've had a few more investors invest in me and my domains and my ideas. Is that too hard for you to comprehend? Another pretty well known domainer from India thought I said I had invested 1.5M in domains, when I said my domains "appraise" for 1.5M. She went on to say, like you, the $$$'s i've wasted on "worthless GTLD's" could have been spent on a few "decent names" Maybe there's a language difference, but don't you domainers from down under speak or understand English? It's only your "opinion" about the GTLD's. btw, this thread is about .coms that I'm looking to develop, not GTLD's. I've identified a grand total of "four" domains that I believe are worth developing Giles and none of them are ngTLD's. I've started, named, bought and sold 25 different businesses since graduating college in 1970 so I don't think plans to develop four new businesses around domains I own is over the top. Hell, four of the businesses I started are still in business today. Doubt me?
I don't think you do Giles...you just don't like me, and that's just fine with me. I don't any need friends like you:xf.rolleyes:

•••
Is domain scoring a bad idea? In the words of that great lady, Helen Reagan, I'm going to have to just say no. Get out to Sand Hill to drum up your series A. The naysayers will come around.

•••
Is domain scoring a bad idea? In the words of that great lady, Helen Reagan, I'm going to have to just say no. Get out to Sand Hill to drum up your series A. The naysayers will come around.

Priceless! "King of the Road" by Roger Miller was my favorite hit in 1964 when I was a HS Junior. Then, "I Can't Get No Satisfaction" by the Stones in 1965. Great stuff and Thanks:xf.grin:

•••
Where have you been Giles? While you've been away I've had a few more investors invest in me and my domains and my ideas. Is that too hard for you to comprehend?

1700 domains at around $10 a pop (thats $17K) and no sales, no businesses launched, those are the facts, the rest are just ideas, we all have ideas, its about making money out of them that counts.

You keep talking about investors...Who are they? How much did they invest? What did they invest in? There is only so many times people can hear this and then people start calling BS.

•••

Dare I mention my NoCal "Diet" domain(s) here? God forbid, and you thought it was the best of my four ideas. I looked into SandHill.com startups, and I'll continue to check it out. Thanks for the SandHill.tip

•••
1700 domains at around $10 a pop (thats $17K) and no sales, no businesses launched, those are the facts, the rest are just ideas, we all have ideas, its about making money out of them that counts.

You keep talking about investors...Who are they? How much did they invest? What did they invest in? There is only so many times people can hear this and then people start calling BS.

This is exactly what I mean about a language barrier Giles. My "average" cost per domain is less than $6 so my total investment thus far is around 10K and not 17K as you "guessed" As for investors, I've already shared that with you, and their investment has covered the 10K I've paid for my domains. I've had one more since, and I'm anticipating a much larger "pop" by year end or sooner.

Like I said...you're not my friend, and if you had a lick of business sense about you, you'd be asking me about the other domains I'm looking to develop. I thought people from down under were pretty decent, but maybe you're the black sheep.

•••
This is exactly what I mean about a language barrier Giles. My "average" cost per domain is less than $6 so my total investment thus far is around 10K and not 17K as you "guessed" As for investors, I've already shared that with you, and their investment has covered the 10K I've paid for my domains. I've had one more since, and I'm anticipating a much larger "pop" by year end or sooner.

You've said that yes, but where is the project? Is the development happening? :sneaky:

With all the GTLD's you have, I can assure you the average price of all your names is not $6, not at any registrar in the world

Like I said...you're not my friend, and if you had a lick of business sense about you, you'd be asking me about the other domains I'm looking to develop. I thought people from down under were pretty decent, but maybe you're the black sheep.

You're right, we many not be friends, but that doesn't stop me from trying to save you money. There have been a lot of people on here from all over the world trying to help you , but you insist on having all these plans for your names and none of them turn into anything because you give up to easily and move onto the next idea...as I said, stick to one idea and run with it.

Good luck

•••
Just one more thing wurdd...i suppose you have a PHd in computer science, statistics or something similar? If you do, you may want to talk to me....who knows, you may learn something. I've mentored many youth on the finer points success in business. Let me know if I can be of assistance. Thanks for your input:xf.wink:

Nope. Third generation beer distributor and MBA. I, along with countless others here, have lost plenty on worthless domains. We've tried to help you. You are doing it wrong. You are doing it backwards actually. Trust me when I say, your finer points success in business and mentoring have no value here. Well, maybe entertainment value. Show us some results. All I see is a $10k loss this year that will turn in to another $10k loss next year. BUY A REAL DOMAIN AND DEVELOP IT.

•••
This is written in the spirit of how we can all cope more effectively with this addictive business, and maybe is written more for myself than for anyone else.

(a) I think that there is much virtue in not going into further debt without returns. I, and I am sure many on here, find it hard to resist registering "gems" and getting in on registrar discounts. I have personally found it helpful to set for myself limits - i.e. I will at most register 1 domain every week, or I won't register more domains until I have sold one, etc.

(b) I also find it helpful when I am tempted to register more domains to not do so until i have completed some tasks like get all existing domains registered, search for outbound leads, etc.

(c) I believe that there is virtue both in staying the course and being open to changing course. Although i have been disappointed that I don't yet have a significant sale personally (many small ones have kept me going, both in terms of spirits and funds), I do have confidence that with a moderately good website, establishing contacts via being active in various places, and thinking about leads, that it will just be a matter of time before a small subset of my names will sell at decent prices. But there is virtue in changing course too. I have not had much success selling idea of domain phrase marketing. I still think its day will come, but I have resisted sinking much more into that until I see some significant results. I definitely think this industry needs to do more creative thinking outside the box, and we should all embrace that (while also looking at the evidence from what has worked in the past).

(d) In the ngTLD area with super discounted initial registrations and fairly steep renewals it is particularly critical to, well, think critically about which are worth renewing. I find if I have any doubts at all, I don't renew. It's important not to "fall in love" with your own domain names, and I find my spouse a steadying influence. I bounce domains off her, and many I think are great she thinks are blah. If you have a sounding board, use it, and not only domain investors. Particularly those who might be end users for the name.

(e) It probably makes sense for all of us to not be so focussed on domain names that we lose balance in our lives. I find it helpful to at least a few days a week not let myself look at NPs more than once or twice a day. I know I spend too much time here, and I am trying to correct that (says he on the day of his 1000th post).

Here, as in any area of investing, it is critical to not invest more than we can afford to lose, and to give our investments every chance to have a ROI by putting the effort into sales and promotion.

Have a good night, everyone.

•••
I'm sure you don't see any value in it, but I'm betting that non domainers who own branded businesses and have domains may be curious enough to pay a few bucks for me to score and appraise their names.

Keep in mind there are over 300 Million domains and over 100 Million Business/Brands/Names in the world to score and appraise. Success in the "scoring" and "appraisal" has nothing whatsoever to do with the domain industry...Thank God!

Appreciate your enthusiasm and entrepreneurial spirit, @Bulloney, but how can someone be trusted to be knowledgeable in apprasing and seeing value in domains wthout having anything to show for it as something one has mastered by ammasing own reputable portfolio ? Without a good track record in domaning, how will you be able to convince anyone else to trust in your ability to discern a good from the bad domain apple ?

If there is a requiremnt to show leadership by personal example the need for it is felt nowhere more acutely than here.

Last edited:
•••
As a developer, I would never fall for your crap. Most developers are swimming in lucrative business ideas, they just don't have the time. Think about this: what value do you bring to the table? A domain name is cheap, ideas are worthless unless executed well, and to be frank, you bring nothing to the table.....

...You are not special. Figure out what value you have or no technical cofounder will ever partner with you to do 90% of the work for 10% of the reward.

So, how special is the role of an entrepreneur?
To answer that we'll go to Quora:

''This question originally appeared on Quora: Who is the most important person in a tech/web startup (visionary, programmer, etc.)?

Answer by David S Rose, Entrepreneur, Angel Investor, Mentor, Entrepreneurship Chair at Singularity University, on Quora,

'Since Bill Hewlett joined with Dave Packard in 1939 to create what is today the world's largest personal computer company, there has arisen an evergreen debate as to who is more important in starting a tech company: the techie or the business guy? Steve Jobs or Steve Wozniak? Bill Gates or Steve Ballmer? Jim Clark or Marc Andreessen?

I propose that it is time to reject the notion of the "business guy" (or "business gal") entirely. The underlying problem is that there are really three different components here, and like the classic three-legged school, they are all essential for success, albeit with differing relative economic values. What gets things confused is that the components can all reside in one person, or multiple people. And what gets people upset is that there are different quantities of those components available in the economic marketplace, and the law of supply and demand is pretty good about consequently assigning a value to them.

Perhaps surprisingly, the components are NOT the traditional coding/business pieces; nor are they even coding/UI/business/sales, or whatever. Rather, here is the way I see it, from the perspective of a serial entrepreneur turned serial investor, listed in order of decreasing availability:

1) THE CONCEPT
A given business starts with an idea, and while the idea may (and likely will) change over time, it has to be good on some basic level for it to be able to succeed in the long run. How excited am I likely to be when I see a plan for a 2008-model buggy whip? another me-too social network? The 87th investor-entrepreneur matching site with no investors? The base concept has to make some kind of sense given the technical, market and competitive environment, otherwise nothing else matters. BUT good ideas are NOT hard to find. Not at all. There are millions of them out there. The key to making one of them into a home-run success brings us to:

2) EXECUTION SKILLS
It is into this one bucket that ALL of the 'traditional' pieces fall. This is where you find the superb Rails coder, AND the world-class information architect, AND the consummate sales guy, AND the persuasive biz dev gal, AND the brilliant CFO. Each of the functions is crucial and is required to bring the Good Idea to fruition. In our fluid, capitalistic, free-market society, the marketplace is generally very efficient about assigning relative economic value to each of these functional roles, based upon both the direct result of their contribution to the enterprise and their scarcity (or lack thereof) in the job market.

That is why it is not uncommon to see big enterprise sales people making high six figure, or even seven figure, salaries or commissions, while a neophyte coder might be in the low five figure range. Similarly, a crackerjack CTO might be in the mid six figures, but a kid doing inside sales may start at the opposite end of the spectrum. Coding, design, production, sales, finance, operations, marketing, and the like are all execution skills, and without great execution, success will be very hard to come by.

BUT, as noted, each of these skills is available at a price, and given enough money it is clearly possible to assemble an All Star team in each of the above areas to execute any Good Idea. That, however, will not be enough. Why? Because it is missing the last, vital leg of the stool, and the one that ultimately-when success does come-will reap the lion's share of the benefits:

3) THE ENTREPRENEUR
Entrepreneurship is at the core of starting a company, whether tech-based or otherwise. It is NOT any one of the functional skills above, but rather the combination of vision, passion, leadership, commitment, communication skills, hypomania, fundability, and, above all, willingness to take risks, that brings together all of the forgoing pieces and creates from them an enterprise that fills a value-producing role in our economy. And because it is THIS function which is the scarcest of all, it is THIS function that (adjusting for the cost of capital) ends up with the lion's share of the money from a successful venture.

It is thus crucial to note that the entrepreneurial function can be combined into the same package as a techie (Bill Gates), a sales guy (Mark Cuban), a UI maven (arguably Steve Jobs), or a financial guy (Mike Bloomberg). And that it is the critical piece that ultimately (if things work out) gets the big bucks.

Who do you think got the biggest relative return from the development of Trump Tower? Architect Der Scutt (the IA)? Engineer Irwin Cantor (the coder)? Broker Louise Sunshine (the sales gal)? EVP George Ross (the biz dev guy)? Or whomever happened to be The Entrepreneur in that deal?

The moral of the story is that for a successful company, we need to bring together all of the above pieces, realize that whatever functional skill set the entrepreneur starts out with can be augmented with the others, and understand that the lion's share of the rewards will (after adjusting for the cost of capital), go to the entrepreneurial role, as has happened for hundreds of years.'

Bottom line?

The most important person in a startup is ... The Entrepreneur!''

Last edited:
•••
This is written in the spirit of how we can all cope more effectively with this addictive business, and maybe is written more for myself than for anyone else.

(a) I think that there is much virtue in not going into further debt without returns. I, and I am sure many on here, find it hard to resist registering "gems" and getting in on registrar discounts. I have personally found it helpful to set for myself limits - i.e. I will at most register 1 domain every week, or I won't register more domains until I have sold one, etc.

(b) I also find it helpful when I am tempted to register more domains to not do so until i have completed some tasks like get all existing domains registered, search for outbound leads, etc.

(c) I believe that there is virtue both in staying the course and being open to changing course. Although i have been disappointed that I don't yet have a significant sale personally (many small ones have kept me going, both in terms of spirits and funds), I do have confidence that with a moderately good website, establishing contacts via being active in various places, and thinking about leads, that it will just be a matter of time before a small subset of my names will sell at decent prices. But there is virtue in changing course too. I have not had much success selling idea of domain phrase marketing. I still think its day will come, but I have resisted sinking much more into that until I see some significant results. I definitely think this industry needs to do more creative thinking outside the box, and we should all embrace that (while also looking at the evidence from what has worked in the past).

(d) In the ngTLD area with super discounted initial registrations and fairly steep renewals it is particularly critical to, well, think critically about which are worth renewing. I find if I have any doubts at all, I don't renew. It's important not to "fall in love" with your own domain names, and I find my spouse a steadying influence. I bounce domains off her, and many I think are great she thinks are blah. If you have a sounding board, use it, and not only domain investors. Particularly those who might be end users for the name.

(e) It probably makes sense for all of us to not be so focussed on domain names that we lose balance in our lives. I find it helpful to at least a few days a week not let myself look at NPs more than once or twice a day. I know I spend too much time here, and I am trying to correct that (says he on the day of his 1000th post).

Here, as in any area of investing, it is critical to not invest more than we can afford to lose, and to give our investments every chance to have a ROI by putting the effort into sales and promotion.

Have a good night, everyone.

Excellent post my CA friend, and even my buddy Brad:xf.wink: aka bmugford "liked" it. You have a great way of calming conflict. As I've commented, we all have our strengths and our weaknesses. Oh, I've had my share of failures, but if it were not for my failures I probably wouldn't be here. How so you might ask? I'm addicted to life, and where some see life as a challenge, I see life as an opportunity....my wife thinks I see life as a party:xf.grin: Speaking of failures, and why "domain" and "brand" "scoring" is a pretty big deal to me, I identified a segment of an industry (the debt collection industry) back in 2012 where "unpaid" judgment debt recorded in America's court systems totals 25 Billion dollars. Bob, most people don't even know what a judgment is much like most people don't know what a domain is. What I knew about about "judgment debt" (a judgement is good up to 10 years in a lot of jurisdictions) was that 10% of those judgments were recoverable "if" they could be scored....thus I trademarked the "name" seen here; JudgmentScore™, here; JudgmentScore® and here; http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4808:quh1e8.2.1.
By now I'm sure most of your eyes are glassing over, but that's because judgments aren't very sexy, where "brands" and "domains" are.

I'm sharing this Bob because there's more than a little "substance" behind my addiction. The "name" thing has been integral to my life's party:)

Thanks again for your advice Bob....this has all been like a vacation to me, and it's been worth every penny....sort of like your 1000th post that I would score a perfect "10".

•••
Thank you for the entertainment, oh my god hahaha

Also as a developer, I wouldn't dare partner up with someone who thinks having ideas are enough and expect the other person to do all the hard work. You talk like you're an expert in business, well then, you should know that ideas are meaningless until executed. You should also know that in business, you always get down & dirty in the initial phases to get the business up and running, not just think of "ideas" and have your partner do all the actual work.

•••
Thank you for the entertainment, oh my god hahaha

Also as a developer, I wouldn't dare partner up with someone who thinks having ideas are enough and expect the other person to do all the hard work. You talk like you're an expert in business, well then, you should know that ideas are meaningless until executed. You should also know that in business, you always get down & dirty in the initial phases to get the business up and running, not just think of "ideas" and have your partner do all the actual work.
Alex...apparently you haven't been listening or reading. All businesses start with an idea, followed by acting on the idea. Did you not read about the medical billing business I started that could have never been successful without my "technical" partner? Phil was initially a 1/3 owner, and we gave him 1/3 of the company to develop our medical application software.Eventually Phil and I bought out our other partner, and we became 50/50 partners. That partnership lasted about 10 years until Phil bought me out around 2000.
Phil sold the company and the building we owned together for about 3.5M. Are you following me Alex? If not, I can't help you, and there's no way you could ever be any help to me:xf.frown:

•••
So, how special is the role of an entrepreneur?
To answer that we'll go to Quora:

''This question originally appeared on Quora: Who is the most important person in a tech/web startup (visionary, programmer, etc.)?

Answer by David S Rose, Entrepreneur, Angel Investor, Mentor, Entrepreneurship Chair at Singularity University, on Quora,

'Since Bill Hewlett joined with Dave Packard in 1939 to create what is today the world's largest personal computer company, there has arisen an evergreen debate as to who is more important in starting a tech company: the techie or the business guy? Steve Jobs or Steve Wozniak? Bill Gates or Steve Ballmer? Jim Clark or Marc Andreessen?

I propose that it is time to reject the notion of the "business guy" (or "business gal") entirely. The underlying problem is that there are really three different components here, and like the classic three-legged school, they are all essential for success, albeit with differing relative economic values. What gets things confused is that the components can all reside in one person, or multiple people. And what gets people upset is that there are different quantities of those components available in the economic marketplace, and the law of supply and demand is pretty good about consequently assigning a value to them.

Perhaps surprisingly, the components are NOT the traditional coding/business pieces; nor are they even coding/UI/business/sales, or whatever. Rather, here is the way I see it, from the perspective of a serial entrepreneur turned serial investor, listed in order of decreasing availability:

1) THE CONCEPT
A given business starts with an idea, and while the idea may (and likely will) change over time, it has to be good on some basic level for it to be able to succeed in the long run. How excited am I likely to be when I see a plan for a 2008-model buggy whip? another me-too social network? The 87th investor-entrepreneur matching site with no investors? The base concept has to make some kind of sense given the technical, market and competitive environment, otherwise nothing else matters. BUT good ideas are NOT hard to find. Not at all. There are millions of them out there. The key to making one of them into a home-run success brings us to:

2) EXECUTION SKILLS
It is into this one bucket that ALL of the 'traditional' pieces fall. This is where you find the superb Rails coder, AND the world-class information architect, AND the consummate sales guy, AND the persuasive biz dev gal, AND the brilliant CFO. Each of the functions is crucial and is required to bring the Good Idea to fruition. In our fluid, capitalistic, free-market society, the marketplace is generally very efficient about assigning relative economic value to each of these functional roles, based upon both the direct result of their contribution to the enterprise and their scarcity (or lack thereof) in the job market.

That is why it is not uncommon to see big enterprise sales people making high six figure, or even seven figure, salaries or commissions, while a neophyte coder might be in the low five figure range. Similarly, a crackerjack CTO might be in the mid six figures, but a kid doing inside sales may start at the opposite end of the spectrum. Coding, design, production, sales, finance, operations, marketing, and the like are all execution skills, and without great execution, success will be very hard to come by.

BUT, as noted, each of these skills is available at a price, and given enough money it is clearly possible to assemble an All Star team in each of the above areas to execute any Good Idea. That, however, will not be enough. Why? Because it is missing the last, vital leg of the stool, and the one that ultimately-when success does come-will reap the lion's share of the benefits:

3) THE ENTREPRENEUR
Entrepreneurship is at the core of starting a company, whether tech-based or otherwise. It is NOT any one of the functional skills above, but rather the combination of vision, passion, leadership, commitment, communication skills, hypomania, fundability, and, above all, willingness to take risks, that brings together all of the forgoing pieces and creates from them an enterprise that fills a value-producing role in our economy. And because it is THIS function which is the scarcest of all, it is THIS function that (adjusting for the cost of capital) ends up with the lion's share of the money from a successful venture.

It is thus crucial to note that the entrepreneurial function can be combined into the same package as a techie (Bill Gates), a sales guy (Mark Cuban), a UI maven (arguably Steve Jobs), or a financial guy (Mike Bloomberg). And that it is the critical piece that ultimately (if things work out) gets the big bucks.

Who do you think got the biggest relative return from the development of Trump Tower? Architect Der Scutt (the IA)? Engineer Irwin Cantor (the coder)? Broker Louise Sunshine (the sales gal)? EVP George Ross (the biz dev guy)? Or whomever happened to be The Entrepreneur in that deal?

The moral of the story is that for a successful company, we need to bring together all of the above pieces, realize that whatever functional skill set the entrepreneur starts out with can be augmented with the others, and understand that the lion's share of the rewards will (after adjusting for the cost of capital), go to the entrepreneurial role, as has happened for hundreds of years.'

Bottom line?

The most important person in a startup is ... The Entrepreneur!''
namelancer....in case you hadn't noticed....I am The Entrepreneur:xf.smile:, and at least I'm smart enough to realize I can't do it without a lot of help from others. Ironically I had a lady who worked for me back in the eighties who worked for Bill Hewlett and Dave Packard way back in 1939 when they started HP in their garage in Palo Alto seen here; https://successstory.com/companies/hewlett-packard. The lady was about 60 at the time she worked for me, and 20 when she worked for Bill and Dave. I was around 30 at the time she worked for me and had just started my third company.

namelancer...I'm not sure what thread you're reading, but your comment, "You are not special. Figure out what value you have or no technical cofounder will ever partner with you to do 90% of the work for 10% of the reward." is so far off base, it hardly deserves a response. I guess you just have a follow the domainer crowd mentality, and pile on for no apparent reason:xf.rolleyes: Sad....very sad:xf.frown:

•••
namelancer...I'm not sure what thread you're reading, but your comment, "You are not special. Figure out what value you have or no technical cofounder will ever partner with you to do 90% of the work for 10% of the reward." is so far off base, it hardly deserves a response. I guess you just have a follow the domainer crowd mentality, and pile on for no apparent reason:xf.rolleyes: Sad....very sad:xf.frown:

Sorry, @Bulloney, but you must have misunderstood ... the comment you quoted was crafted by someone else in response to which I cited the Quoara article as a way to prove a point to the contrary ! The part you attributed to me and were referring to as offensive was in fact an excerpt of a previous, larger post written by @cillosis

Last edited:
•••
Also as a developer, I wouldn't dare partner up with someone who thinks having ideas are enough and expect the other person to do all the hard work. You talk like you're an expert in business, well then, you should know that ideas are meaningless until executed.

You wouldn't but somebody else did without much of regret:

''James Edwards, Mathematician and startup co-founder.

I listened, helped, and then joined as co-founder. Best decision ever!

A super-smart, management-consultant type was struggling to get the technology for his idea working. Instead of getting all upset that he couldn't code I helped out. We decided we liked each other --- and respected what each other brought to the business, I joined pre-launch as co-founder, and now (2 years later) we have a start-up generating 8 figures annually (and growing like crazy).

Take away: A beginning is a very delicate time. Recognise that non-techies can bring much needed skills to help you realise your dream of successfully starting-up a business. And don't be all high-and-mighty just because someone slips the word "just" into an otherwise reasonable sentence :)''

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back