IT.COM

Did I wasted my money ? I'm feeling depressed

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

QwertyTech

Established Member
Impact
So I invested into the domain: thedailycult.com recently, spent money on premium dns, ssl protection and all the good stuff and now I'm try to sell the domain to make back a little more than what i invested in it and instead all i'm getting are little to no response from people and someone calling me a nasty domain squatter. Seems I wasted money. Why is money so hard to make ? Feeling sad and depressed :xf.frown:

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think you wasted money on the upgrades. Those can be gotten for free or next to nothing.

If you can get a refund do it. If not, then try to sell the domain or cut your losses when it expires.

•••
You need to learn what makes a domain valuable first...spend a few months reading through this forum before registering anymore names

There is no value in this name. Dont spend any money on dns, ssl etc...just list it on all the free marketplaces like Sedo, Godaddy rtc

Who did you try and sell it to?

•••
Who did you try and sell it to?
Persons interested in creating websites on trends, fashion, viral content or blogs in whatever niche they chose.

•••
You will pay tuition in the "college of domain sales" no matter what approach you take when you are just starting out. Your tuition will be less in proportion to the advice you accept from those experienced in the biz.

Last edited:
•••
Hopefully you didn't spend too much...?

•••
Dont buy names like that...buy good keyword names and then try selling to end-users related to that industry. Eg: buy cloud hsotimg name and sell to cloud hosting company

Its practice and tweaking little things in your approach that lead to sales.

•••
So I invested into the domain: thedailycult.com recently, spent money on premium dns, ssl protection and all the good stuff and now I'm try to sell the domain to make back a little more than what i invested in it and instead all i'm getting are little to no response from people and someone calling me a nasty domain squatter. Seems I wasted money. Why is money so hard to make ? Feeling sad and depressed :xf.frown:
domaining is hard

•••
You will pay tuition in the "college of domain sales" no matter what approach you take when you are just starting out. Your tuition will be less in proportion to the advice you accept from those experienced in the biz.
LOL, this is fantastic. Every new domainer should read it. (y)

•••
Kinda like the domain in a weird way - obviously perfect for a blog about anything cultish.

•••
Let me first assure you that you are not alone in feeling depressed at times, or having second thoughts about domain purchases! I think most of us on here have done the same!

Totally agree re the add ons - in general never pay extra as they will not add value if you sell the domain, and with services like Lets Encrypt you can get a SSL without extra cost (depending on your serving service, if you have one).

I am not as negative as some on the domain name choice itself. I google searched the term and saw lots of hits, which is encouraging (as long as no TM issues). Domain names ending in 'cult' have sold 24 times for an average of $784, while those that start with "TheDaily" have sold 47 times with an average price off $874 (NameBio information).

Something many who get into domain investing do not realize is that the vast majority of domain names never sell, and very few sell in the first month. Those who push that it is easy to flip domains for quick profit are spreading misinformation, just like most off the penny stock outfits. Yes, there are cases (see on here) where it has been possible to quickly sell for a large ROI but that is definitely the exception not the rule.

I am not sure if you have it listed on domain marketplaces, but there are numerous places you can do this without cost until the name sells.

So @QwertyTech try not to feel depressed, but do realize the real nature of the domain name investing 'business'. Lots of great people on NamePros if you need specific help or advice. With best wishes for success as you move forward.

•••
•••
@QwertyTech - keep your chin up mate, life is a series of ups and downs.

It's how we cope and learn with the lows that make us come back stronger!

Good luck......(y)

•••
Hey @QwertyTech ...

First of all...there is no way you can be depressed for this one reason...cheer up!

Second of all...if someone says something about you...it is okay..but you believe what they said is not okay...and someone says something about everything...even if you are earning by registering damn good domains!
So just listen...take it as feedback and improve your next step...!

Third of all...and most importantly...
As you know... whenever they talk about qwerty...it's not just about those 6 letters but it is about total alphabet and format of keyboard..
In same way it is one method of thinking you did and now you are regretting it... possible outcome should be... change of your analysis...

And aslo you have to give lot of time to see results...till then do mistakes (obviously small ones) and learn from them...

And FYI... I doddid got even a single sale... I put lot of money... I am taking it as a journey!

Sorry if I was lecturing...

Good luck.

•••
Hmm. Let me get this right. So you purchased a name 3 days ago, that dropped a year ago and had been sitting unregistered for a whole year. A name that anybody could have registered for $10.
And you are surprised that people are not banging on your front door with cash offers significantly above regfee ? Go figure :)

•••
"Did I wasted my money ? I'm feeling depressed"

How much did you waste? Seems like you bought just 1 domain and purchased a SSL cert. (SSL cert is a waste if you just wanted to flip a domain name)

Did you learn anything? If yes, you didnt waste your money. You may have lost money, but for sure didnt waste it.

If you learned something then there is no need to feel depressed, rather, you should feel good about it.

•••
Hmm. Let me get this right. So you purchased a name 3 days ago, that dropped a year ago and had been sitting unregistered for a whole year. A name that anybody could have registered for $10.
And you are surprised that people are not banging on your front door with cash offers significantly above regfee ? Go figure :)
Wait. Isn’t that the way this domaining thing works? Just reg any ole domain, put it up for sale and then collect the big bucks you read about that people are making all the time? Always has sounded pretty simple. Hmmm...

•••
spent money on premium dns, ssl protection and all the good stuff

Hi

just wondering , why you thought you needed those extra's?

imo….

•••
If you purchased for selling, then why purchased SSL certification, there is no need for that.

Try to sell and recover your money.
Best of luck

•••
Back