IT.COM

status-resolved Default picture uploaded sizes?

NameSilo
Watch

alcy

Top Member
Impact
@Eric Lyon .. can you explain how your system does uploaded pics?
I noticed when I upload say a logo I made.. usualyl a tiny pic.. it kinda enlarges it a bit.. instead of keeping original size.. and makes it more pixelated and distorted in process..

I understand you cant keep default pic size for all pics.. but can your people maybe set it to keep original size if pic uploaded is under certain min size?
example.. if I upload 350x250x20.. to keep it as is and show as is... so that smaller type fotos do not get enlarged and distorted as result.

ty.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You probably have a high-DPI screen. Your web browser will do that automatically to preserve the size of the image, but sacrifice quality in the process.

•••
You probably have a high-DPI screen. Your web browser will do that automatically to preserve the size of the image, but sacrifice quality in the process.

hmm.. I thought np had some default way to accept and then display pics to all members.. so it does not, and it just kind of throws it out there to be displayed as per each members screen type or browser settings... did I get it right? thanks!

•••
hmm.. I thought np had some default way to accept and then display pics to all members.. so it does not, and it just kind of throws it out there to be displayed as per each members screen type or browser settings... did I get it right? thanks!

No, it's not something NP has control over.

•••
Just to be sure I'm not misunderstanding, can you link me to an image and give me the size you expect it to be?

•••
here is just a simple logo.. when I upload and clickl full size I get this below.. and the size of it in my desktop picture viewer says: 313x 230x 24b
and when I click to view it at default/original size ibn my desktop I see it a bit smaller than this one here below. thanks!
3453455435.JPG

•••
We're currently displaying that at 313x230 at 24 bbp. A few possibilities:
  • If you have a screen that is higher than 72 or 96 PPI, your web browser will enlarge all images, causing them to appear pixelated. Right now, I'm using a MacBook Pro with a Retina screen, so almost all images on the web look blurry.
  • Many of the images on NamePros, like our logo, are uploaded at double the size we instruct browsers to display them at. This way, when they're enlarged, they'll still appear clear. We also use a lot of vector graphics for the same reason.
  • That appears to be a JPEG. The JPEG format is lossy and a bad choice for computer-generated graphics. Consider using PNG or lossless WebP instead; you'll get smaller sizes and better quality. WebP isn't as widely supported as JPEG yet, but PNG has roughly the same support. With that particular image, GIF would also work well. Don't convert from JPEG to another format, though; that won't get rid of the JPEG "artifacts" that result from JPEG's lossy compression.
Here's what ImageMagick's identify utility reports for the image. I've removed some irrelevant technical data, since the output is normally very long.
Code:
Image: 70496_d702411f8e5f5966e19f97972af76ccd.JPG
  Format: JPEG (Joint Photographic Experts Group JFIF format)
  Mime type: image/jpeg
  Class: DirectClass
  Geometry: 313x230+0+0  // Note: This is the actual resolution
  Resolution: 144x144  // Note: This isn't what we normally refer to as resolution.
  Print size: 2.17361x1.59722
  Units: PixelsPerInch
  Type: TrueColor
  Endianess: Undefined
  Colorspace: sRGB
  Depth: 8-bit
  Channel depth:
    Red: 8-bit
    Green: 8-bit
    Blue: 8-bit
  Interlace: JPEG
  Intensity: Undefined
  Compose: Over
  Page geometry: 313x230+0+0
  Dispose: Undefined
  Iterations: 0
  Compression: JPEG
  Quality: 79
  Orientation: Undefined
  Properties:
    date:create: 2017-03-29T01:15:12-04:00
    date:modify: 2017-03-29T01:15:07-04:00
    jpeg:colorspace: 2
    jpeg:sampling-factor: 2x2,1x1,1x1

Here's a screenshot of the dimensions in Chrome (click for full size):
70511_a4d56bb656d93690057b3a4c2b5b0990.png

Last edited:
•••
ok got it
appreciate your time and help. I am going to look into it some more on my end.

I was under impression np adjusts uploaded images to some sizes that best fit the forums or such. I do not really know that much about graphics.

thank you again

•••
We don't enlarge them, but we'll shrink them if they're too large. We also support thumbnails.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back