NameSilo

"Dead" domain name extensions list

Located in Domain Extensions started by gprod, Nov 27, 2018.

Replies:
Views:

1. Masay

Masay Established Member

.PW
    Before we see emoji domains, is it still in use now?

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. Joe Nichols

Joe Nichols Common sense consultant VIP

Kind of funny to see .net taking such a thrashing here... I own only a small (approx. 50) portfolio of two-word .net names, and I probably sell one every couple of months for mid XXX.

You're not going to make a killing with .net unless you have great single word names, but people absolutely still look for them as a cheap alternative to strong .com names. Just make sure the names are short, with strong keywords. Technology focused names will likely give you a better chance at a sale.

As for the discussion of "dead" extensions... I don't think you can fairly describe an extension as such unless it has been discontinued by the registry. I'm personally not a fan of anything beyond .com, .net, .org, and the occasional .co or .io, but other extensions are "alive" as long as you can buy them. Just be careful what you buy. :)

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  3. Kate

Kate Domainosaurus Rex VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Generally speaking, what works:
    • .com/.org/.net
    • mature/large ccTLDs
    • plus a few repurposed extensions ie .io .co but they may go out of fashion at some point (that happens)
    Run your own stats from reported sales, you'll see that it's always the same few extensions that take the spotlight.

Majority of extensions are unfit for investment purposes.
    It could be said that they are 'dead' but some are 'deadest' than others :)

4. dobbsie

dobbsie Established Member

Very insightful comment.

5. mawels

mawels O1E

1. .tips
    2. .guru
    3. .mobi

6. MadAboutDomains

MadAboutDomains Top Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

.page - Google domain with a very poor 7,000 registrations.

Dead before arrival due to ridiculous premium renewal prices. I guess they were hoping to scalp people, but it hasn't worked.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  7. henrypcyeung

henrypcyeung Established Member

How do you define "dead"? No sales or no registrations?

I think an extension is dead if it has zero registration (and of course no sales accordingly).

So from my point of view, the extensions listed above (e.g. .net, .mobi, .xyz, etc) are not dead, but are less active than before. Actually they keep having sales records and some have huge sales occasionally.

8. Ezra5

Ezra5 New Member

9. topdom

topdom Established Member

Life = fundamentals x promotion

fundamentals = being established for long enough x being short x being generic enough x appearing at the end of keywords x low renewals x pass radio test and being unconfusing and well focused x being unrestricted x being universal

promotion = being offered to domain buyers by registrars and marketplaces and looking like a standard extension x media attention x being used by big companies as the main address

A domain with artificial promotion and without fundamentals may not live long.

If fundamentals are good, it can be made alive again.

.nu appears most dead compared to its past recently, but it can be promoted again, and may do well somewhere. .cc, .ws are almost dead. Someone is trying to kill .biz but it has strong fundamentals. If China decides to use .biz, .com may die slowly.

10. Mohamed Ahmaid

Mohamed Ahmaid Established Member

Though I'm still new to the field (newbie)
    I will try give my opinion (who cares!).
    What I've learned couple monthes ago is
    To stick with .com
    Buy (sanse-able names)
    Stay away from fad names (unless you are well-preparied)
    Other extensions (but .org) are joke (sorry guys)
    ccTLD have some gems.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
  11. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes formerly MetBob NameTalent Gold Account VIP Trusted Blogger

This is a complex topic that I may comment on in future in more length, but let me just pick one item suggested as dead.
    So far in 2018 (year not yet over) there have been 441 sales of .co with an average price of $2393 with a total sales volume of $1.1 million. It has sold 26 times for $10,000 and more so far in 2018. If we apply a factor of perhaps only 20% of sales NameBio reported suggests $5 million plus in 11 months. I know that some are concerned with the registry taking back and making premium short names that drop, but I think overall the extension is still very much alive both in terms of sales and real world use. Here is the link.

If you look at the previous year it sold about 75% as much volume and with an average price less than one-half the amount for this year. Suggesting that .co has now died is simply not supported by evidence imho.

There is no doubt .com dominates, possibly moreso than a few years ago. That does not mean that other extensions are dead depending on the quality of the name and the venues used to promote and sell them.

Bob

(disclosure: I hold only 2 .co from a portfolio of about 240 names,,so don't really have a horse to push in the debate)

12. Ollie3000

Ollie3000 Top Member VIP

agree with @Chris Wright

I think .info is dying. Have some really nice short words and literally no interest for the last 12 months. That being said I've always liked the extension so I will probably still renew them haha

13. lolwarrior

lolwarrior Founder, Brands.International VIP

I agree :) Btw, this thread is full of gross generalisations and innacurate information, unfortunatelly..

To see how all extensions are doing, one can have quick glance at 2 sources:
    a) namebio.com (reported sales, you can filter by extension)
    b) namestat.org (you can see there how many domains are registered per extension)

So when someone says "xyz is dead", it is a total rubbish: they have now around 2 mil registrations (of course, many of them due to very effective promo deals) and there are many many aftermarket sales recorded as well. (Disclaimer : I own 0 .xyz names)

14. dgmweb

dgmweb Established Member

Definitely agree about .co.

15. strugar

strugar Established Member

Am I wrong, or they indeed do not show ccTLD? Only gtLD?

16. Kate

Kate Domainosaurus Rex VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

The numbers are indeed misleading. But .biz has got roughly the same number of registrations and is much older and more established. Yet no domainers consider .biz investment worthy.
    If you look at the ten latest reported sales for .xyz in Namebio they are in the $200 range.

If you look at YTD stats from Namebio .biz still outperforms .xyz...
    As a domainer my compass would certainly be the reported sales as measure of 'liveness' of an extension.

Disclaimer : I own 0 .xyz or .biz names

17. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes formerly MetBob NameTalent Gold Account VIP Trusted Blogger

Namestat just show ngTLD but they have a beta product that gives registration numbers for many country code and gTLDs. It is very nice. Here is link.

https://domainnamestats.com/

Bob

18. lolwarrior

lolwarrior Founder, Brands.International VIP

Yes, I would say that only few very good keywords in .biz would be investment worthy (home, credit, etc)

I honestly think .xyz now outperforms .biz :) It is not only about reported sales in sources like namebio, it is also about how many names with premium renewals are actually registered in given extension (in case of .xyz, lot of names with premium renewals are registered, while the same terms in .biz which are registered have standard renewals, afaik). This is pretty important to understand, I wrote about it in this thread here

This premium renewals of some names in .xyz also explains some of those recent $200 sales reported in namebio - I have written about it in more detail, here

So I am not defending .xyz extension, just saying that simply looking to namebio is not enough to get all facts - we must consider also what renewal fees are in given extension, how many premium-priced names are there, and whether people are willing or not to pay for them. In other words: if there are 10 000 names with $220/year renewals now registered in .xyz (I do not know, this is just an example), it is the same as 10 000 reported aftermarket sales in namebio, each for $220 (from that perspective when we want to get some feeling on general interest for that extension).

19. .X.

.X. Upgraded Member Gold Account VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

I don't think.net is a dead extension by any means, I think .org is a stronger extension,.net could rally in time, due to the amount of very good .net names out there for taking, The last .net I sold was a few years back, iLesbian.net , I don't currently hold any .net names and haven't for 5 years, but if I were to see interest pick up in .net, I would surely get me a bundle of them.

20. Joe Nichols

Joe Nichols Common sense consultant VIP

I think most feel the same way. I don't mind. More good ones for me. :)

21. Abhi007007

Abhi007007 Member VIP

any ideas about .ooo extension?

22. Internet.Domains

Internet.Domains Top Member VIP

Yes, dooon't gooo near it.

23. Abhi007007

Abhi007007 Member VIP

The organization BUY.ooo launched it as Power Domain. :xf.smile:

24. topdom

topdom Established Member

I sold 5 .infos this year. 3 of them for over 5k each.

But I agree it was more active in early 2000s. Because it was advertised in Germany.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  25. Lucian Hodoboc

Lucian Hodoboc New Member

What do you mean by "dead"? As in... no longer available or not that popular as they used to be? :xf.confused:

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
Topics / Tags:
NameWorth
  1. NamePros uses cookies and similar technologies. By using this site, you are agreeing to our privacy policy, terms, and use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice