Dynadot

"Dead" domain name extensions list

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

gprod

Established Member
Impact
Hello Pros.,
I frequently see in your comments here: "this extension is dead".
Usually it goes after questions about exact match domain names, from unexperienced domainers.
So, let's make a list of these "deads", to aware the newbies not to invest in domain names who look pretty, but nobody is ready to give a penny for them. Please, copy/paste and add your thoughts in the list I starting here:
So:
1.mobi

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It'd be much easier to make a list of extensions that are alive. :xf.smile:

1. .com

•••
NameBio indded shows .net in steady decline and .org in steady rise over last three years, I'm surprised to see that...

net-vs-org.png

•••
all estensions are dead except .com and .net
the rest of extensions just have value with specific words.
not all keywords match with .org and .biz and .info
just spesific domains match with .io
the rest are valuable just as hack-domains.
I have to disagree with you on this one.

.net is much weaker than .org IMO

.net has become somewhat of a stagnant extension

•••
The reason for the dead is high renewal fees for these domain names.

•••
I hate to ask this especially owning one of the top keywords in the extention but Is .net still alive ?

I used to sell cheap nets all the time for low xxx nothing this year so far

Last edited:
•••
Not quite dead, but dying

.net (only one worders really sell now)
.co (increase in price and confusion amongst users killing it)

•••
What are you smoking?
.org is more alive than .net

•••
Kind of funny to see .net taking such a thrashing here... I own only a small (approx. 50) portfolio of two-word .net names, and I probably sell one every couple of months for mid XXX.

You're not going to make a killing with .net unless you have great single word names, but people absolutely still look for them as a cheap alternative to strong .com names. Just make sure the names are short, with strong keywords. Technology focused names will likely give you a better chance at a sale.

As for the discussion of "dead" extensions... I don't think you can fairly describe an extension as such unless it has been discontinued by the registry. I'm personally not a fan of anything beyond .com, .net, .org, and the occasional .co or .io, but other extensions are "alive" as long as you can buy them. Just be careful what you buy. :)

Last edited:
•••
Generally speaking, what works:
  • .com/.org/.net
  • mature/large ccTLDs
  • plus a few repurposed extensions ie .io .co but they may go out of fashion at some point (that happens)
Run your own stats from reported sales, you'll see that it's always the same few extensions that take the spotlight.

Majority of extensions are unfit for investment purposes.
It could be said that they are 'dead' but some are 'deadest' than others :)

•••
•••
•••
.page - Google domain with a very poor 7,000 registrations.

Dead before arrival due to ridiculous premium renewal prices. I guess they were hoping to scalp people, but it hasn't worked.

Last edited:
•••
•••
agree with @Chris Wright

I think .info is dying. Have some really nice short words and literally no interest for the last 12 months. That being said I've always liked the extension so I will probably still renew them haha

I sold 5 .infos this year. 3 of them for over 5k each.

But I agree it was more active in early 2000s. Because it was advertised in Germany.

Last edited:
•••
definitely .asia

couldn't sell a darn one of those.

what about .sucks?

it kinda sucks

•••

•••
1. .mobi
2. .xyz
3. .asia
4. .info

I had some one-word .info's with high search and high CPC, but no inquiries. I let them drop.

•••
•••
I'm not sure about info - I see some life in sales history. I was sold few infos in last 2 years for low/mid - XXX.

•••
Not quite dead, but dying

.net (only one worders really sell now)
.co (increase in price and confusion amongst users killing it)

Price may be hurting .co, but I think endusers will user this anyday over a .net. Unless it's some premium one worder .net.

•••
.org is used for organizations
.com & .net could be any keyword
.org just organization

It's use just means .org is well established and always will be,
.net is .com's sidechick.

A bad one at that. Every startup founder that i personally know chose .co when the .com was not available. Some even went for .io.

.net is laughable at this point unless it is a great keyword, like media.net etc...

And honestly I can't even remember when I've been on a website that uses .net.
most registered .nets are usually some empty page with chinese writings.

•••
•••
•••
How do you define "dead"? No sales or no registrations?

I think an extension is dead if it has zero registration (and of course no sales accordingly).

So from my point of view, the extensions listed above (e.g. .net, .mobi, .xyz, etc) are not dead, but are less active than before. Actually they keep having sales records and some have huge sales occasionally.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back