Dynadot

news Dan.com to increase comission from 9% to 15% effective Feb 1st 2023

NameSilo
Watch
Just received this email from Dan.com about commission increases (snippet of email):

1672844802429.png

Thoughts?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
so I'm still finding my feet.
Hi

when you find your feet,
make sure you're not standing in no :poop:, cuz you know it's nearby. :)

then kick the 25% fee to the curb, and only charge 20% if domain is currently "Registered" at godaddy when NS is not used.
that switch could bring in more domain owners to this registrar.

imo....

•••
Hi

when you find your feet,
make sure you're not standing in no :poop:, cuz you know it's nearby. :)

then kick the 25% fee to the curb, and only charge 20% if domain is currently "Registered" at godaddy when NS is not used.
that switch could bring in more domain owners to this registrar.

imo....
My vote would be 15% commission across the board. GD is a big company, with plenty of income from registrations and products sold. The potential increase in number of sales across all platforms, using 15%, might well compensate for the decrease in even the current commission.

•••
Only shareholders can vote lol
Dont upset Daddy, he will take that 25% commission and raise it to 35%
Then we will dicker, get it down to 25 and feel like we accomplished something
Seriously though, playing monopoly isnt always fun especially real money

•••
Dont upset Daddy, he will take that 25% commission and raise it to 35%
Then we will dicker, get it down to 25 and feel like we accomplished something

As always, your point is well taken.

Perhaps GD could consider this point. How many of you reading this would go to a car dealership that you know places up to a 25% commission on their sales? Would you even bother going there? Do you think if you saw a car there at a particular price, that you would want to try going elsewhere to buy it instead?

•••
Last edited:
•••
Thank you for addressing the questions here. Please find enclosed the answers:

1- Do you plan to expand your MLS partners network?

Yes, we are constantly expanding our SedoMLS partner network so that our sellers have the biggest reach for their domain portfolio. Which registrars would you like to see joining the SedoMLS network?

2- You mentioned that NameCheap are part of your MLS, but when adding a domain to Sedo, NameCheap do not appear as MLS partner with (S) in the list.

Users who are searching for domains on NameCheap’s website, can purchase domains which are listed for sale on Sedo. NameCheap did not integrate the functionality, allowing Sedo users to activate their domains for SedoMLS Premium, as of yet. As soon as this option will be available, we will make sure to inform you.

3- Does it make difference to select Euro vs Usd when pricing domains at Sedo? I heard that most of your customers are from Europe so maybe Euro is better at Sedo?

You will need to decide which currency best suits you and there is no best currency that we can recommend. The only impact could be the currency conversion rate, maybe you could check out which currency will get you the most money out of your sale. Having a domain listed in Euros or USD will not be detrimental to the sale. Also with regards to the customers, there is no dominance in sales towards either the American customers or European customers.
Thanks for the clear answers.

Which one I would like to join SedoMLS? porkbun.

•••
look to the votes here : https://www.namepros.com/threads/which-of-your-sales-comes-from-afternic.1292604/
For all domainers making more than 50% of sales through afternic, the new fee scheme is better.
And it seems there it's 50/50
Not really sure how you extrapolate that based on the poll question and small sample size.

I could make 100% of my sales via Afternic, and still be worse off under the system if that comes from a few high dollar sales. With the removal of commission tiers it would be less income, even if it was 100% of my sales.

Your poll does not have enough data or a large enough sample size to make any conclusions.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
I've just received this notification message from SquadHelp:

1674085263007.png

So they reduced their commission
They want to survive.

Last edited:
•••

Show attachment 230615

They want to survive.
That is interesting and a good move by Squadhelp I think. Still no word from BrandBucket about how they will handle Afternic listings from February 1.

Last edited:
•••

Show attachment 230615

They want to survive.
This is not a reduction.

25% to Afternic and 5% to SH on names 25 K and below —30% commision total
25% to Afternic on names over 25K No commision to SH —25% commision total

Still very steep commision

Last edited:
•••
This is not a reduction.

25% to Afternic and 5% to SH on names 25 K and below —30% commision total
25% to Afternic on names over 25K No commision to SH —25% commision total

Still very steep commision

I think their idea is to retain sellers with high value domain, but still 25% for domains over 25k is very high commission. It will be hard decision for SH sellers.

•••
I think their idea is to retain sellers with high value domain, but still 25% for domains over 25k is very high commission. It will be hard decision for SH sellers.
I agree on that for sure and for all involved it will be better if the names in those price brackets sell right on SquadHelp.

•••
Hi
yeah, i forgot about above.com.

i have done similar in the past by using various NS for the same domain
ie:
ns1.bodis.com
ns2.parkingcrew.com
ns3.sedoparking.com
buy.internettraffic.com

sorry for going off-topic

imo...
Does that setup actually work? I thought that kind of NS setting will only result in errors. What will happen when someone types in such a name?

Just thinking that if it works, wondering what will the commissions be if a name with multiple NS including GD's NS gets sold on GD's ecosystem....?

•••
•••
@LaszloSchenk

Can you confirm if the 4% Paypal payout fee for sales over 2k is going away? Asked this over a week ago and still haven't got any response. It isn't very justifiable to add this fee on top of Dan's new commission of 15%/25%.

•••
Once the 15% Dan Commission Rate goes into effect, I am assuming the following will happen, but I haven't seen these directly addressed by Dan or GD:

1) Do away with the ridiculous $2,000 limit on Paypal payments without a surcharge, just like GD, Afternic and Uniregistry.

2) The checkmark for the MLS/Afternic Network opt-in will disappear and we'll all be automatically enrolled.

3) Each offer or sale on Dan, GD, Afternic and Uni will CLEARLY denote the Commission Rate so that users understand what they are paying and potential issues with nameservers can be fixed in a timely manner.

@LaszloSchenk

Last edited:
•••
Once the 15% Dan Commission Rate goes into effect, I am assuming the following will happen, but I haven't seen these directly addressed by Dan or GD:

1) Do away with the ridiculous $2,000 limit on Paypal payments without a surcharge, just like GD, Afternic and Uniregistry.

2) The checkmark for the MLS/Afternic Network opt-in will disappear and we'll all be automatically enrolled.

3) Each offer or sale on Dan, GD, Afternic and Uni will CLEARLY denote the Commission Rate so that users understand what they are paying and potential issues with nameservers can be fixed in a timely manner.

@LaszloSchenk
for 2) I dont think so as the selling price and currency could be different.

•••
a) DAN has so many fraudulent listings that auto enroll will further complicate this issue

b) Due to the same reason, some real owners are forced to maintain their domains listed @ DAN (with makeoffer, cosmic prices etc.) just to prevent others from adding them, and without any intention to sell them via DAN or to sell them at all. Distribution of such domains to external channels serves no purpose...

•••
Those are some of the reasons I am asking these questions and Dan/GD really need to be more transparent on EXACTLY what is going to happen on Feb 1 - it's Jan 20 already.

Last edited:
•••
It's absolutely fine.

I remember Undeveloped having said that first they have to lose money (loss leader) in order for the eventual profit to be made when they started up and everyone was happy the commissions were sooo low and the support and team and brokerage was so great.

but then i guess the pandemic hit before the piggy bank could make it... so like every other business during the pandemic... DAN had to bail too.

It's not a bad thing... I'm not going to be happy with a 25% hit randomly though. But oh well, taht's just domaining life.

•••
but then i guess the pandemic hit before the piggy bank could make it... so like every other business during the pandemic... DAN had to bail too.
Sales were up during the pandemic though.

I would argue that given what they did/do that they're probably earning and not losing.

•••
There are two kinds of startups and startup leadership.

The first are those who want to create a business that lasts, grows, and potentially becomes a major player in a market segment over the long term - money is nice, but it's not the main criteria. These are builders.

The second are those who just want create something hot and big enough to attract outside interest, with the endgame being a big, juicy buyout by a major player. These are sellers.

I think we've all seen both examples up-close and it's pretty easy to see which side of the stool Dan and its ownership falls on.

Last edited:
•••
I just love all the negative votes to my comment above, when Dan and their leadership proved beyond shadow of a doubt that they are SELLERS by "Selling Out to GoDaddy". A Builder says no all day long - it's what they do.

It's not condemnation or praise for either strategy, these are just the two sides of a startup coin. Be proud of who you are and what you do, and don't hide behind false narratives.

Or to paraphrase Robin Williams, "Someone is either a Builder or a Seller. There's no in-between. The trick is to find out which one you are, and be that."

Last edited:
•••
I just love all the negative votes to my comment above, when Dan and their leadership proved beyond shadow of a doubt that they are SELLERS by "Selling Out to GoDaddy". A Builder says no all day long - it's what they do.

It's not condemnation or praise for either strategy, these are just the two sides of a startup coin. Be proud of who you are and what you do, and don't hide behind false narratives.

Or to paraphrase Robin Williams, "Someone is either a Builder or a Seller. There's no in-between. The trick is to find out which one you are, and be that."

There's a vast number of reasons to transition from a builder to a seller or the other way around.

Business is like life, a journey. Sometimes you have to take a detour, get off track or need to recalibrate your compass.

•••
There's a vast number of reasons to transition from a builder to a seller or the other way around.

Sure, but other than a life-threatening health or very significant financial issue, the rest are just excuses for finally realizing who and what you truly are. After all, it's not like Dan was in business of decades or anything and they sure joined-the-dots by promoting themselves as a "alternative" to the established domain markets and followed the "steps to attract a buyer" blueprint.

And do you know of any life-altering circumstances with the Dan founders that led to the abrupt sellout? if so, it might mellow my perception of the situation.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back