IT.COM

news Dan.com to increase comission from 9% to 15% effective Feb 1st 2023

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Just received this email from Dan.com about commission increases (snippet of email):

1672844802429.png

Thoughts?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
How long until commission goes up to 20%?

I would say not long.

•••
Last edited:
•••
Yes. The new structure will be a flat 15% or 25% depending on where nameservers are pointed at the time of sale, regardless of price.

So
  1. You increased Dan commission to 15%
  2. You increased Afternic commission to flat 15%
  3. You increased Afternic commission for non-Godaddy landers to 25%

Wow good job in screwing up the whole domainers community 👏

Last edited:
•••
This move has ruined Dan.com

This is their plan from the beginning: kill the superior competition and do nothing to improve the Afternic site.

•••
Current status as of Jan 4 2023, info from over 1,200 TLD zonefiles.

Number of domains using Afternic nameservers
NS1 & NS2 - 302K
NS3 & NS4 - 572K
NS5 & NS6 - 527K

Number of domains using UniRegistry nameservers
NS1 & NS2 - 265K

Number of domains using DAN.com nameservers
NS1 & NS2 - 1,796K

Number of domains using Undeveloped.com nameservers
NS1 & NS2 - 110K

Number of domains using NameFind nameservers
NS1 & NS2 - 1,015K

Number of domains using SedoParking.com nameservers
NS1 & NS2 - 1,084K

Number of domains using Sedo.com nameservers
SL1 & SL2 - 78K

Number of domains using Efty nameservers
NS1 & NS2 - 176K

Number of domains using Bodis nameservers
NS1 & NS2 - 1,033K

Number of domains using ParkingCrew nameservers
NS1 & NS2 - 1,053K

Number of domains using Domain.io nameservers
NS1 & NS2 - 19K

Number of domains using Above nameservers
NS1 & NS2 - 80K

Number of domains using BrandBucket nameservers
NS1 & NS2 - 145K

Number of domains using Squadhelp nameservers
NS1 & NS2 - 226K

Number of domains using CashParking nameservers
NS01 & NS02 - 751K

Last edited:
•••
Dan commission increase ✅
Afternic commission increase ✅
25% for no Godaddy/Afternic/Dan landers ✅

And they are announcing it like it is good deal 🤣

•••
Yes. The new structure will be a flat 15% or 25% depending on where nameservers are pointed at the time of sale, regardless of price.

If you would have brought your Afternic website into the 21st century it would have softened the blow.

•••
I wonder if sellers who use Efty landing pages that use Dan for check out will still only be charged 5% or 25%?

If 5%, I think Efty could have a great year.
But efty is $432 per year (every year) for the "up to 1500 names" plan, and higher still for larger portfolios. Seems kinda high to me, no?

•••

NS1 & NS2 - 302K
NS3 & NS4 - 572K
NS5 & NS6 - 527K

Number of domains using UniRegistry nameservers
NS1 & NS2 - 265K

Number of domains using DAN.com nameservers
NS1 & NS2 - 1,796K

Number of domains using Undeveloped.com nameservers
NS1 & NS2 - 110K

Number of domains using SedoParking.com nameservers
NS1 & NS2 - 1,084K

Number of domains using Sedo.com nameservers
SL1 & SL2 - 78K

This change will definitely bring home their bacon. (for GD) Check the stats in this quote.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Domains pointed to Nameservers at Uniregistry Market, Afternic or Dan, are charged a flat 15% of Sale Price regardless of where it sells whether on the Network or through the landers directly.

Domains not pointed to Nameservers at Uniregistry Market, Afternic, or Dan are charged the standard commission rate, which is a flat 25% of Sale Price :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Now compare it to manage your domain sale through Escrow.com. Just think about a sale over $25K, how much would they charge... at Afternic compared to Escrow.com

https://www.escrow.com/fee-calculator

Fees for transactions in US Dollars​

Transaction Amount (Merchandise + Shipping)StandardConciergePayment Processing Fee
$0-$5,000 3.25% ($10.00 minimum) 6.5% ($100.00 minimum) Standard or Concierge fee + 3.05%
$5,000.01-$25,000 $162.50 + 0.26% of amount over $5000 $325 + 0.52% of amount over $5000 Not available
$25,000.01 + 0.89% 1.78% Not available

•••
  • 25% commission for domains sold that are not pointed to nameservers at Dan, Afternic, or Uniregistry.

LOL

Shit, to Epik ???? :xf.laugh::xf.laugh::xf.laugh:

•••
Domains pointed to Nameservers at Uniregistry Market, Afternic or Dan, are charged a flat 15% of Sale Price regardless of where it sells whether on the Network or through the landers directly.

Domains not pointed to Nameservers at Uniregistry Market, Afternic, or Dan are charged the standard commission rate, which is a flat 25% of Sale Price :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Power move.

•••
Dynadot.com 5%
Namesilo.com 7,5%
SH White Label MP 7,5%

But now there is 25% penalty at Afternic if you do that lol

Bad news for SH users.

GD cornered SH here.

•••
So
  1. You increased Dan commission to 15%
  2. You increased Afternic commission to flat 15%
  3. You increased Afternic commission for non-Godaddy landers to 25%

Wow good job in screwing up the whole domainers community 👏
Actually, the Afternic decreased from 20% to 15%.

I'm actually not too torn up about this. While I don't like increases, I think 15% is actually pretty fair. 9% was real nice but an increase was not unexpected. I'll just keep that in mind when it comes to pricing.

All my domains are either Afternic/Dan landing pages and now with the distribution network, that goes down from 20% to 15%.

I understand those that don't have those landing pages will now go up to 25% if I'm reading that correctly. That's just their way to move people over to their platform, to get that 15% instead of 25%.

I'm still paying for Efty, so I could always switch it back to those landing pages in the future. But right now I like the ease and reach of Dan/Afternic.

Last edited:
•••
I haven't used escrow.com since starting with dan.com. BUT...

•••
Last edited:
•••
But now there is 25% penalty at Afternic if you do that lol

Bad news for SH users.

GD cornered SH here.
I agree, and BB to
I dont have my SH domains in Afternic, only Sedo. Less work to do, and the sales happen anyway

•••

NS1 & NS2 - 302K
NS3 & NS4 - 572K
NS5 & NS6 - 527K
So basically, they appear to have 1.4 million domains pointing to Afternic. But their website lists that they have 22 million listings.

So at this point, increasing the commission from 20 to 25% would increase costs potentially for the 20 million domains not pointing to them.

Should be curious to see if many more landers now start showing up, in order to get that 15% commission.

•••
Not really. Look at domains over $25K.

https://www.afternic.com/sell-domains

It was $4,000 +10% of amount over $25k.

Now it's a flat $15, even for a $100K sale... oops

(At Escrow.com it's 0.89% of amount over $25K. Even the 1.78% of concierge service makes sense).
https://www.escrow.com/fee-calculator
You're linking to old page, I'm talking about what takes affect Feb 1. Email says:

On February 1, 2023, the following commission structure will go into effect.

• 15% commission for domains sold that are pointed to nameservers at Dan, Afternic, or Uniregistry; regardless of where it sells on the network or through the landers directly.
I could be missing it but where do you see 20% after Feb 1?

Last edited:
•••

If domain is not pointing to any name servers (null NS). … what’s the % ?

•••
Punishing registrar-powered marketplaces (Dynadot, Namesilo, Porkbun...)? Punishing BODIS for providing built-in forsale banners, including godaddy-afternic ones?

Noncompetitive!​

Parking the domain with registrar-powered marketplace AND enabling afternic was always a good option.
Parking the domain with bodis + forsale link was always a good option.
Saying nothing about hard-working sellers who bothered to host own landing pages, in many cases still sending traffic to afternic (to the same destination as ns5/ns6 provides for example).

Btw, they are also punishing sellers who use own dns (or cloudflare dns) to deliver all visitors to DAN, as DAN dns works slow sometimes. They are also punishing sellers who use similar scheme to deliver the traffic to godaddy .com / forsale / domain .com via own hosting+DNS - as ns5/ns6 afternic does not support httpS forwarding and provides zero stats. Maybe Afternic should fix all the lander/dns issues first?

Last edited:
•••
Needless to say- really bad move by Godaddy. The fact that in their example of how sellers will "benefit" they used the wrong commission % (stating that it's a 20% commission for $60K/40K sales when in fact the commission is currently $4000 + 10% for sales over $25K) is quite amusing. Plus, choosing specific prices to demonstrate improvement when changing them with other prices will demonstrate that sellers will be losing money. SMH.

25% commission unless you have a GD/Afternic/Dan.com landing page is also ridiculous, especially for high priced domains. Domains that are listed at SH and BB also require an extra commission paid to those marketplaces, so the total commission will become even worse. I hope Godaddy will reconsider and make some changes to the current plan, because they'll be losing a lot of business.

I'll likely get back to Efty and only use make offer at Afternic.

Too bad about Dan.com. Such a great platform.

Last edited:
•••
You're linking to old page, I'm talking about what takes affect Feb 1. Email says:

On February 1, 2023, the following commission structure will go into effect.

• 15% commission for domains sold that are pointed to nameservers at Dan, Afternic, or Uniregistry; regardless of where it sells on the network or through the landers directly.
Yes, I know. It shows you that before, you had to pay less for a sale over $25K than you have to pay now...

•••
Last edited:
•••
Back