Domain Empire

DAN.COM Domain Marketplace (Official Thread)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DAN.COM

Domain MarketplaceTop Member
Dan.com Staff
Impact
DAN.COM (formerly known as Undeveloped.com) is on a path to be become the biggest domain marketplace in the world. We use state of the art technology to solve everyday problems buyers and sellers in the domain industry face. At DAN.COM we focus on automating most processes required to buy & sell domains to increase a more efficient and active secondary market for domains.

What sets us apart is our strong focus on product development and customer satisfaction. We leave nothing to chance and every single feature and element we introduce is professionally and carefully designed and built.

DAN.COM is ranked in the top 5 best-rated marketplaces in the world (According to the biggest review platform Trustpilot) and in the domain industry, we're the domain marketplace with the highest rating with an average of 9,4 out of 10 points.

At DAN.COM you will get the highest value for the lowest commission around. Due to our domain transfer automation, we can offer significantly faster handling of domain transactions and payouts (usually within 24 hours) at the lowest fee charged by any domain marketplace.

We've been the first on many fronts and proudly will continue to keep innovating. We were the first to offer optimized for sale pages since 2013, the first to provide payment plans in the form of lease to own and rentals and also the first and only domain marketplace offering free SSL on all domains parked with us for over a year now.

Read more about DAN and our future plans here: https://blog.undeveloped.com/a-big-leap-forward-3a3cc59ed418

This thread is created to act as an informal communication board between the DAN team and the domain community. Feel free to post feedback here and to discuss how you use DAN.

What this thread is not meant for is support. Please contact our support team here: [email protected] when you need assistance.

Previous reviews under old brand: https://www.namepros.com/threads/undeveloped-com-experience.893201/

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Good morning @Future Sensors,

You are permitted to maintain a different price at Dan as opposed to the Afternic Network while integrating through our marketplace. This is why the functionality is present to alter prices specifically for those domain names that you have integrated in the Afternic Network.

Have a great weekend ahead.

•••

You are permitted to maintain a different price at Dan as opposed to the Afternic Network while integrating through our marketplace. This is why the functionality is present to alter prices specifically for those domain names that you have integrated in the Afternic Network.

Hello @LaszloSchenk

That is news. There was (and still is) a lot of discussion about this, as you've seen.

So I understand that Dan users with automatic Afternic integration enabled, may maintain different pricing on platforms as they please, while others are not allowed to do this?

Will the integrated system subsequently automatically follow GBP/USD and EUR/USD exchange rates? As you know, they can fluctuate heavily over time.

What about the Afternic network partners that add an additional markup on their sites, resulting in different pricing across the network?

Could you append Afternic ToS with all this new info? And make an official announcement on this, as it's rather important.

Tagging some participants in the discussion:

Cc: @GoDaddy
Cc: @James Iles
Cc: @Bob Hawkes
Cc: @bmugford

Last edited:
•••
I wonder what happens if a domain is hit with a UDRP while in a lease to own plan?

Dan will be the registrant and therefore the respondent, I guess. Has this happened, @LaszloSchenk? If yes, how was it handled?

Thanks.

Last edited:
•••
Hello @LaszloSchenk

That is news. There was (and still is) a lot of discussion about this, as you've seen.

So I understand that Dan users with automatic Afternic integration enabled, may maintain different pricing on platforms as they please, while others are not allowed to do this?

Will the integrated system subsequently automatically follow GBP/USD and EUR/USD exchange rates? As you know, they can fluctuate heavily over time.

What about the Afternic network partners that add an additional markup on their sites, resulting in different pricing across the network?

Could you append Afternic ToS with all this new info? And make an official announcement on this, as it's rather important.

Tagging some participants in the discussion:

Thank you for your response.

The ToS from Afternic will not get altered based on this given. Through our integration, any sale that takes place will be calculated against our own commission of either 15% or 25% depending on the parking status. There will be no automatic conversion that is presented on the platform but simply the tools to allow you to increase prices in bulk based on a percentage. This can be done separately for your Afternic Distribution integrated names to compensate for any value differences between currencies.

Do let me know in case you have any additional questions.

•••
I wonder what happens if a domain is hit with a UDRP while in a lease to own plan?

Dan will be the registrant and therefore the respondent, I guess. Has this happened, @LaszloSchenk? If yes, how was it handled?

Thanks.
Good morning @Embrand,

Thank you for raising this question.

To my knowledge, this has not happened on our platform before. However, if it were to happen, the transaction always legally is between the buyer and the seller of the domain while Dan is a 3rd party facilitator. When a domain is bought through an LTO non of the registrar details are changed which will result in you, the actual, owner still getting contacted in case a domain name is hit with a UDRP.

All the best,

•••
Good morning @Embrand,

Thank you for raising this question.

To my knowledge, this has not happened on our platform before. However, if it were to happen, the transaction always legally is between the buyer and the seller of the domain while Dan is a 3rd party facilitator. When a domain is bought through an LTO non of the registrar details are changed which will result in you, the actual, owner still getting contacted in case a domain name is hit with a UDRP.

All the best,
Thanks. That is good to know.

•••

Thank you for your response.

The ToS from Afternic will not get altered based on this given. Through our integration, any sale that takes place will be calculated against our own commission of either 15% or 25% depending on the parking status. There will be no automatic conversion that is presented on the platform but simply the tools to allow you to increase prices in bulk based on a percentage. This can be done separately for your Afternic Distribution integrated names to compensate for any value differences between currencies.

Do let me know in case you have any additional questions.
Good afternoon @LaszloSchenk

Thank you for expressing DAN's position.

Let me start by saying that I am in favor of being able to use different pricing on the various platforms. So I am not defending the policy that Afternic has recently tightened up in its ToS.

Afternic says on Twitter that "Pricing discrepancies create confusion and an overall negative experience for buyers. As a result, it sacrifices the value and integrity of the Afternic Partner Network if prices are lower on the For Sale Landers. You cannot actively market your domains at a lower price on your domain landers."

Source:

Afternic ToS, section B-7 says "Additionally, the Buy Now Price specified for any listing on Afternic must be equal to the price listed on any for sale lander used by Seller."

Source:
https://www.afternic.com/legal/agreements/membership-agreement

I am currently noticing that DAN enables, and is even actively encouraging, price discrepancies to be created between DAN landers and Afternic. I believe that DAN and Afternic should both follow the same policy (whether I'm in favor of this or not). At this moment, instructions contradict each other, and I don't know which side to follow. And then we are not even talking about Afternic network partners who also deviate from this policy.

In other words, please resolve this matter internally within the GoDaddy group - this is a mess.

Last edited:
•••
And then we are not even talking about Afternic network partners who also deviate from this policy.
Based on what current DAN+Afternic policies are, one should reasonably guess that Afternic network partners are unhappy about lets say sedo or sav landers showing lower prices, but, at the same time, similarly looking DAN landers with lower prices are OK for them. Lack of common sense?

Last edited:
•••

"Permitted" isn't the right word here. It is a right, not a permission to set up prices however we want. I understand this makes little sense when you're just an employee of a company, but consumer rights still go a long way and not just in the US but in Europe too. The tirade by the Afternic account on Twitter over forced price uniformity is evidence of violating consumer rights.

•••
Thank you for following this up @Future Sensors – we need a clear statement from GD/Afternic/Dan and don't seem there. I asked for clarification from their Twitter account, but did not receive it.

The question whether price compliance across competing platforms is even allowed by consumer law is an important one that you raise @Acroplex.

–Bob

•••
The question whether price compliance across competing platforms is even allowed by consumer law is an important one that you raise @Acroplex.
As is, what the heck do they intend to do about it as a PUNISHMENT for us being such little incompliant annoyances?

Last edited:
•••
Good morning all,

I found a lot of responses to my latest reply on this thread. Let me start by saying that I can only speak for Dan and our platform's integrations in this thread.

We have ensured that our users can enjoy the usage of the Afternic network through our marketplace by easily opting in through their general settings. As we have users that have the ability to use three different currencies, it could happen that some users experience a loss in profits due to exchange rates. To ensure this would not pose a problem for our users, we enabled users to alter their prices on their Afternic-integrated listings to ensure that if a domain is listed for example, Pounds 5.000 at Dan, you are not forced to sell it for $5,000 on the Afternic Network. As such, to avoid the problem as described by @Future Sensors the functionality was provided.

All the best,

•••
if a domain is listed for example, Pounds 5.000 at Dan, you are not forced to sell it for $5,000 on the Afternic Network
OK, but why is it possible to set different afternic price on USD listing then? This is not a request to remove such a feature. But, please clarify.

Also, what prevents DAN/Afternic from doing currency conversion in the background, like Sedo does? If I list a domain in Euros or Pounds on Sedo, I would not need to care about the USD price shown by participating registrars operating in USD, as it would be correct price with currency exchange...

Last edited:
•••
•••
great news guys... dan is adding this month option to add lead on payment plan for only 10percent... granted its 1yr only... better than nothing for sure. tnx dan.

•••
If you previously had the distribution turned off, go check your settings now. Mine was turned on by them with the recent update.

•••
Clarification from DAN regarding automatic distribution: It doesn't automatically remove your Afternic listings. Seller will need to provide proof of ownership.

I asked them because of some sellers listing domains they don't own on DAN. I wanted to make sure scammers don't take advantage of this.

Saw a buyer complain on Twitter after they paid 5 figure and found out the seller didn't own the domain.

•••
1. I have in past kept my Afternic and Dan separate. If I do click on the integration to turn it on at Dan, can someone tell me if there are any downsides? I understand from this notice it will equalize prices between Dan and Afternic, which is fine with me.

2. Am I correct that listings from Dan integration don't automatically generate Fast Transfer request? So do I need to take them off Afternic and relist, or ask an agent to activate, so that I will get the email to opt in?

3. Am I right that if I turn on integration they will automatically validate the name is mine through my Dan validation TXT, or will I still have to contact service for each name that is incorrectly listed by someone else?

I have some TLDs that are not eligible for integration, but are capable of being listed on both Dan and Afternic, so for those I guess I need to keep listing separately?

Thanks for any answers/advice.

-Bob

PS as writing this @silentg posted so I guess answer to 3 is I do still need to contact them to take off listings by those who do not own the name.

Last edited:
•••
great news. now we dont even need accounts or login to those awfull outdated tings they dare call websites afternic and gd auctions.. just put bins on dan and manage all from there

•••
If you previously had the distribution turned off, go check your settings now. Mine was turned on by them with the recent update.
I just checked and they did the same to me. Unchecked no thanks without permission. Names added immediately. I don’t like someone else trying to take control when the email states its our choice.

Last edited:
•••
I just checked and they did the same to me. Unchecked no thanks without permission. Names added immediately. I don’t like someone else trying to take control when the email states its our choice.
same here and they edited all my prices... I have wrong BIN and min offer for nearly all my domains now...

•••
There are now OpenResty errors constantly, and also other errors.

The DAN.com website is terribly slow.

1679005857267.png

•••
All of my Afternic-enabled prices show as "$0" on the DAN dashboard now...and there's no way to edit.

Screenshot_DAN_2023-03-16_15-43-13.png

Last edited:
•••
Ok, I've tinkered with the dashboard a little. Once I set a BIN on the DAN domain dashboard on any of those Afternic-enabled domains with $0 in the Afternic Price column, it populates the Afternic Price with the DAN BIN.

If you mouse over the Afternic price (after making the change), there is a popup stating "This domain will inherit Afternic price from its Buy it now price."

I don't think this is quite how it worked before, but it might have been what they ultimately intended.

Screenshot_DAN_2023-03-16_19-45-39.png

•••
If you remove a bin now the opening offer goes back to your lowest default price.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back