NameSilo

DAN.COM Domain Marketplace (Official Thread)

Located in Domain Marketplace Reviews started by Reza, Aug 7, 2019.

Replies:
Views:

1. Jurgen Wolf

Jurgen Wolf Top Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

So looks that all these marketplaces are tuned for Verisign...
    At least for me.

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. 1Darko

1Darko Top Member VIP

welcome to the club

3. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes formerly MetBob NameTalent Gold Account VIP Trusted Blogger

You undoubtedly have a much higher quality and larger portfolio than me, but that has not been my experience at DAN. Do you have a minimum offer set? I do have that set on all my domain names at a value high enough that I am more than willing to have a conversation, so perhaps I am, for better or worse, discouraging some who might otherwise do that. I have just so far had a handful of transactions on DAN but they all paid up promptly. Anyway, where you asked just wanted to share my experience.

So when someone does not pay, that locks up the domain from listing for awhile I guess? How long is that?

Bob

4. Jurgen Wolf

Until you cancel it via request to their team...
    From my experience: ~1 week is enough to be cancelled.

5. namemarket

namemarket Top Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

I don't use Sedo and not aware they were doing that like DAN is. It's a very negative thing to exact match. In fact, it's a reason I am letting over 1/2 of my org's drop and not buying newer tlds again and marking majority of what I do have as non-auto renew..

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  6. Jurgen Wolf

I use Sedo only for some BIN domains... no more than mid xx domains.
    95%+ of my portfolio is parked at Bodis and ParkingCrew... ~50/50.

7. FavourB

FavourB Established Member

There's is understandable, because we know .com is king

8. Jurgen Wolf

9. Lox

Lox ----- Gold Account VIP

End users using registrars search tool / suggestions, if the price is way to high/ not showing they’ll type in (curiosity) and end on y landing page.

Brokers, competitors, researchers, etc surfing the sedo, afternic, dan, always.

10. Bob Hawkes

I have not extensively tested it but have done some and for me there are results.

Let's say I have the domain name advisors.best listed at Sedo and I search first on advisors. As @Jurgen Wolf says the search results will give priority to legacy extensions of the exact word advisors and then new ones in an order not clear to me. I was about 2/3 down a page, after some promoted ones.

If I search Sedo though for AdvisorsBest then they make advisors.best first in the search results. In this way they are better than DAN who would not show the name anywhere at all, even low in search. Totally missing. Which is what our complaint is essentially about. It depends on how likely the searcher is to get your order right how well you do. For example I have guaranteed.best at Sedo and if I search on guaranteedbest it is number one in search.

Interestingly at Sedo if I search BestAdvisors I don't understand the results. Well a little and they are pretty funny actually. HotGuide.com is the best match to BestAdvisors. I suspect that is not exactly the domain name a financial advisor is searching for, but who knows.:xf.grin: And just to be sure they also offer me hot-guide in .com a bit down page and even HotGuide in .net. They really push that. I presume thinking hot is like best sort of and guide is like advisors. It is rather funny. Someone should start a thread on the funniest search results in a domain marketplace.

Bob

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
  11. Lox

Lox ----- Gold Account VIP

Bob, Sedo, AN, Dan etc search engine are there just in case, non-semantics result, more based on IF this THAN this OTHERWISE patern.

12. Jurgen Wolf

Yes, if you append your TLD as keyword - then you will see your listing at Sedo... the only one way.

Try to search just 1 word...
    For example, search for MEDIC on Sedo...
    And try to find my .PRO
    Even BIN doesn't help for the PROper ranking.

13. Name Manager

Name Manager Branding enthusiast VIP

It seems your question has remained unanswered. I have the same problem now. And I also want to know the answer.
    @Reza Could you answer, please?

14. equity78

equity78 Top Member TLDInvestors.com TheDomains Staff PRO Gold Account VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Just completed my first transaction on DAN and my first .io sale (only own 2). Gamut.io.

15. Bob Hawkes

Nice name, congratulations on sale! Was your lander to it pointed there, or do you know whether it was found through their search?

16. equity78

equity78 Top Member TLDInvestors.com TheDomains Staff PRO Gold Account VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Parked there Bob, opening offer $250, it was easy to do research on the buyer, distinctive, uncommon name, I could not imagine why he wanted Gamut.io, I countered at $888 he came back $700, I accepted. Purchased at Name.com in their expiring names, for the lowest price rung for .io $58.99 on 4/30/2019.

17. namemarket

namemarket Top Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

You make it seem relatively minor by saying "the only deviation" With all due respect, I am sorry to say I must question the expertise of DAN's management in apparently alleging it's insignificant and by actually coding your search to do that to the detriment of exact-match.

IMO, that's a massive deviation! Is there such a place called "stockmarketZ" It's just one more or less random example. I am sure there are 1000s of others.

Google says "No results containing all your search terms were found."
    "Your search - "stcokmarketz" - did not match any documents."
    "Suggestions: Make sure all words are spelled correctly."

18. Hugo_Strange

Hugo_Strange Top Member VIP

Is Dan down for anybody else at the moment?

19. karmaco

karmaco Top Member VIP

Yes

20. Elad n

Elad n Top Member VIP

Still down

21. Hugo_Strange

Hugo_Strange Top Member VIP

22. Jurgen Wolf

@Reza
    How many times to ask to remove MX record from the parked domains???
    It takes just 1 minute to update your DNS template... but not months!

23. Jurgen Wolf

$ kdig -t ANY example.tld
    ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY; status: NOERROR; id: 14936
    ;; Flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1; ANSWER: 6; AUTHORITY: 0; ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;; example.tld. IN ANY

;; ANSWER SECTION:
    example.tld. 3599 IN A 52.58.78.16
    example.tld. 3599 IN AAAA 2a05:d014:9da:8c10:306e:3e07:a16f:a552
    example.tld. 3599 IN NS ns1.dan.com.
    example.tld. 3599 IN NS ns2.dan.com.
    example.tld. 3599 IN MX 10 mx.example.tld.
    example.tld. 3599 IN SOA ns1.dan.com. root.dan.com. 2015042809 10000 3600 1209600 300

24. z4z4o

z4z4o VFDomains.com Gold Account

From what I've seen on Dan's "domain's you just missed" section, .nl domains seem to be the second most popular ext being sold after .com, hence why they'd be ranking higher than most other ones if the algorithm is optimised for sales. DAN is also a dutch company and .nl domains have less restrictions (no 60 day registration lock etc.) so probably why there's so much action going on there

25. DNGear

DNGear Domainnaut VIP

Its a small country. May be .nl registry has been trying to create some hype by selling and buying using DAN.

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
Topics / Tags:
NameWorth
  1. NamePros uses cookies and similar technologies. By using this site, you are agreeing to our privacy policy, terms, and use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice