Dynadot

DAN.COM Domain Marketplace (Official Thread)

NameSilo
Watch

DAN.COM

Domain MarketplaceTop Member
Dan.com Staff
Impact
DAN.COM (formerly known as Undeveloped.com) is on a path to be become the biggest domain marketplace in the world. We use state of the art technology to solve everyday problems buyers and sellers in the domain industry face. At DAN.COM we focus on automating most processes required to buy & sell domains to increase a more efficient and active secondary market for domains.

What sets us apart is our strong focus on product development and customer satisfaction. We leave nothing to chance and every single feature and element we introduce is professionally and carefully designed and built.

DAN.COM is ranked in the top 5 best-rated marketplaces in the world (According to the biggest review platform Trustpilot) and in the domain industry, we're the domain marketplace with the highest rating with an average of 9,4 out of 10 points.

At DAN.COM you will get the highest value for the lowest commission around. Due to our domain transfer automation, we can offer significantly faster handling of domain transactions and payouts (usually within 24 hours) at the lowest fee charged by any domain marketplace.

We've been the first on many fronts and proudly will continue to keep innovating. We were the first to offer optimized for sale pages since 2013, the first to provide payment plans in the form of lease to own and rentals and also the first and only domain marketplace offering free SSL on all domains parked with us for over a year now.

Read more about DAN and our future plans here: https://blog.undeveloped.com/a-big-leap-forward-3a3cc59ed418

This thread is created to act as an informal communication board between the DAN team and the domain community. Feel free to post feedback here and to discuss how you use DAN.

What this thread is not meant for is support. Please contact our support team here: [email protected] when you need assistance.

Previous reviews under old brand: https://www.namepros.com/threads/undeveloped-com-experience.893201/

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Page views do not seem to be updating at the moment anyone else?
Typed in a couple of my domains which would normally show almost immediately as viewed but it did not happen.
Clearing cache did not work. Changing browser did- resolved.

•••
I'm also considering this option, but I can't see anywhere where it shows which registrars and marketplaces are included in this network.

I'm also listed at Afternic, but if I could just manage everything from DAN, it would save me a lot of time.

Also would be helpful to be able to bulk adjust prices instead of one-by-one as it is time consuming. I'd have to adjust prices if I'm paying more in commissions. For example - increase all prices by a certain %.

@LaszloSchenk
Exactly...
I chated with them yesterday but i did not have any information even when i requested samples of partners.

•••
Good morning all,

I noticed more remarks about invalid listings. Only recently, I have reported several times that we currently have short-term solutions and will issue long-term solutions in this quarter. It might be that this was overlooked, so I will mention it again.

Short-term:
- Ownership verification records in case you are not able to list a domain name due to a former owner neglecting to remove it.
- Contact our support to help bypass the problem and have the domain names migrated.
- Invalid listers are dealt with, and accounts are removed.

We have been working and currently are working as we speak on solutions that will prevent this situation from happening and get invalid listings restored. We do need the time to get this set up properly and as indicated, this will be concluded in Q4 of this year. In the meantime, if you require help, please provide what is requested and we will assist.

Regards,

•••
I'm also considering this option, but I can't see anywhere where it shows which registrars and marketplaces are included in this network.

I'm also listed at Afternic, but if I could just manage everything from DAN, it would save me a lot of time.

Also would be helpful to be able to bulk adjust prices instead of one-by-one as it is time consuming. I'd have to adjust prices if I'm paying more in commissions. For example - increase all prices by a certain %.

@LaszloSchenk
Good morning @sbweb,

We initially stated that we would be providing a partnership page along the way. However, as some changes will take place this will take a bit longer. In addition, the request to get the option to bulk alter prices by percentages was relayed to our product team already. Currently, you do have bulk tools and could combine them with for example your category feature to bulk alter prices. Alternatively, you could always use a bulk import sheet to change prices for your entire portfolio.

All the best,

•••
Clearing cache did not work. Changing browser did- resolved.
Good morning @wot,

Please contact our support with any such issues to have it resolved promptly.

Best regards,

•••
never mind...

Last edited:
•••
I'm looking at your invoice of the transaction fee and I think it's not perfect.

So when I am a buyer and I buy a domain on Dan with 1-2% surcharge, then looks like I pay the domain price without surcharge to the seller, and I pay the 1-2% surcharge (depending on the payment method) to Dan (UNDEVELOPED B.V.).

So I will get two invoices, one from the domain seller (the amount here is the total price without the processing fee), and one invoice from Dan (the amount here is just the processing fee).

This invoice from DAN is only the invoice of the transaction fee.

But on this PDF document I don't see the word "invoice". It should be an invoice since I pay the payment processing fee to Dan, not to the payment provider. The seller's invoice contains the word "invoice", but the word "invoice" is missing on this payment fee PDF document from Dan.

At the top of this PDF document I read "Payment fee", but you should mention here that this document is an invoice.

And then in the "Parties" section under "Marketplace" I see that the issuer of this invoice is Dan.com. And then you list your company address and EU VAT number.

But your company name (UNDEVELOPED B.V.) is missing from this invoice. According to the VAT database your company name is UNDEVELOPED B.V., not Dan.com.

But Dan.com is just your domain name, not your company name. A domain name is not a legal entity, a domain name cannot issue a valid VAT invoice. Only your legal entity (UNDEVELOPED B.V.) can issue a valid VAT invoice.

So I think instead of Dan.com you should display UNDEVELOPED B.V., which is your valid registered company name.

•••
On the Dan landing pages I noticed that text in the Description field is fully justified, to the point where the line breaks happen mid-word instead of at the end of a word. For example, if the text is "This is a sentence and here is the break. This is the next sentence." it would look like this:

This is a sentence and here is the br
eak. This is the next sentence.

When it should look like this:

This is a sentence and here is the
break. This is the next sentence.

Anyone know if there's a way to fix this?

•••
On the Dan landing pages I noticed that text in the Description field is fully justified, to the point where the line breaks happen mid-word instead of at the end of a word. For example, if the text is "This is a sentence and here is the break. This is the next sentence." it would look like this:

I've already created a ticket with DAN about this on Friday. Thanks for confirming.

•••
But Dan.com is just your domain name, not your company name.
Dan.com is their registered trade name ("handelsnaam") in the Dutch Chamber of Commerce, so it's perfectly fine.

Please don't worry too much.

1665357446222.png

Last edited:
•••
Dan.com is their registered trade name ("handelsnaam") in the Dutch Chamber of Commerce, so it's perfectly fine.

Please don't worry too much.

Show attachment 224760
But in the VAT database I only see "UNDEVELOPED B.V.".

And if Dan.com is a trading name, then maybe something like that would be clearer:

UNDEVELOPED B.V. dba Dan.com

•••
I've already created a ticket with DAN about this on Friday. Thanks for confirming.
@Dane Today I got a feedback from support again. It is being worked on, but it is unknown when it will be fixed.

•••
@Dane Today I got a feedback from support again. It is being worked on, but it is unknown when it will be fixed.
Thanks. Seems like it should be a pretty simple fix, but ??

•••
Now that Dan is associated with GoDaddy, is there a limit on listings regarding expiration date? My understanding is that GoDaddy has a 60-day limitation, whereas Afternic Fast Transfer has a 30d requirement. Dan in the past had no such requirements.
Any changes in that policy?
Also, I did want to ask the question again that was never answered on this official Dan thread. Can we list BIN simultaneously on both Dan and Afternic (provided it is not Fast Transfer)?

@LaszloSchenk

Last edited:
•••
Now that Dan is associated with GoDaddy, is there a limit on listings regarding expiration date? My understanding is that GoDaddy has a 60-day limitation, whereas Afternic Fast Transfer has a 30d requirement. Dan in the past had no such requirements.
Any changes in that policy?
Also, I did want to ask the question again that was never answered on this official Dan thread. Can we list BIN simultaneously on both Dan and Afternic (provided it is not Fast Transfer)?

@LaszloSchenk
Good morning,

Thank you for raising these questions and apologies if one was not fully answered yet.

We remain a separate platform and operate as a separate platform regardless of the acquisition. We will continue to improve our services over time of course but no changes with regards to the listings are on the roadmap yet. We will let any and all users know in case any such significant changes will take place of course. In addition, you can list on both platforms as we still operate as two separate platforms. You can list your domains with us through a BIN and on Afternic as well.

All the best,

•••

Looks like this issue has now been resolved.

Last edited:
•••
•••
In addition, you can list on both platforms as we still operate as two separate platforms. You can list your domains with us through a BIN and on Afternic as well.
So, can I do BIN at the same time on Afternic and DAN?

•••
In case of the import a lead/transaction option (5% commission), as a buyer do I have to pay the 1-2% surcharge on top of the domain price when paying by PayPal or credit card?

And in this case what are the payout methods for the seller and the fees associated with each payout method?

•••
So, can I do BIN at the same time on Afternic and DAN?
Good morning,

For the time being, yes! As there is no cooperation between both platforms yet. If anything changes on that front we will let all users know!

•••
In case of the import a lead/transaction option (5% commission), as a buyer do I have to pay the 1-2% surcharge on top of the domain price when paying by PayPal or credit card?

And in this case what are the payout methods for the seller and the fees associated with each payout method?
Good morning,

When you import a lead your commission remains 5%. If a buyer wants to use a creditcard they pay a 2% processing fee on top of the price indeed but enjoy a discount when performing a wire transfer. None of the payment methods will be of influence on your commission paid.

Best regards,

•••
@LaszloSchenk when a user is required to verify IDs, are users allowed to at least add a "physical watermark" (e.g. a tape with the words "FOR DAN ONLY") on non-critical areas of the ID document? So many sites these days get hacked so easily, so I hope users are allowed to take precautions to prevent any unforeseen ID thefts.

•••
Good morning,

When you import a lead your commission remains 5%. If a buyer wants to use a creditcard they pay a 2% processing fee on top of the price indeed but enjoy a discount when performing a wire transfer. None of the payment methods will be of influence on your commission paid.

Best regards,

I think this payment processing fee should be documented. I can read nowhere on Dan.com about these payment processing fees. It is only revealed at the very last step before initiating the payment.

On the Dan.com homepage:

"Transparency first

No hidden costs. No complicated math. You’ll never be in the dark, whether you’re buying or selling."

But the payment processing fee is hidden cost, since it is documented nowhere and you only display it at the very last step. If this is not a hidden cost, then what would be a hidden cost? This surcharge is not mentioned in the "import lead" section either.

Help center - buying a domain:

"Do I have to pay for your services?
No, using our Domain Ownership Transfer service directly or via one of our API partners is free of charge for domain buyers."

It is not free of charge, there is 1-2% surcharge in case of certain payment methods, payable by the buyer.

"Are there any hidden costs, beyond the yearly registration of the domain?

No, at Dan.com we care about transparency and never add any additional fees or costs."

It should be:

Yes, in case of certain payment methods we add 1-2% surcharge, payable by the buyer."

Our Story section:
"And, most importantly: transparently. Because we believe transparency is the key to a better domain world."

But if transparency is your most important value, then why don't you disclose the 1-2% payment processing fee in the help center?

When there is a domain name listed with BIN and I click on the "Next" button to buy the domain, I am going to see this price breakdown (let's say the domain costs USD $1,495.00):

Order summary
example.com USD $1,495.00
Ownership transfer Free
Transaction support Free
Total USD $1,495.00

It says: "total". But then later you add this 1-2% surcharge. So this is not the "total" price. It should be:

Total USD $1,495.00 +1-2% payment surcharge in case of certain payment methods

It is your right to charge this 1-2% surcharge but I think it should be mentioned explicitly in the documentation. I understand that you need this in order to remain profitable but it should be disclosed on the home page, not just at the very last step of the checkout process. You could also mention the 1% wire transfer discount.

•••
•••
I think this payment processing fee should be documented. I can read nowhere on Dan.com about these payment processing fees. It is only revealed at the very last step before initiating the payment.

On the Dan.com homepage:

"Transparency first

No hidden costs. No complicated math. You’ll never be in the dark, whether you’re buying or selling."

But the payment processing fee is hidden cost, since it is documented nowhere and you only display it at the very last step. If this is not a hidden cost, then what would be a hidden cost? This surcharge is not mentioned in the "import lead" section either.

"Do I have to pay for your services?
No, using our Domain Ownership Transfer service directly or via one of our API partners is free of charge for domain buyers."

It is not free of charge, there is 1-2% surcharge in case of certain payment methods, payable by the buyer.

No, at Dan.com we care about transparency and never add any additional fees or costs."

It should be:

Yes, in case of certain payment methods we add 1-2% surcharge, payable by the buyer."

Our Story section:
"And, most importantly: transparently. Because we believe transparency is the key to a better domain world."

But if transparency is your most important value, then why don't you disclose the 1-2% payment processing fee in the help center?

When there is a domain name listed with BIN and I click on the "Next" button to buy the domain, I am going to see this price breakdown (let's say the domain costs USD $1,495.00):

Order summary
example.com USD $1,495.00
Ownership transfer Free
Transaction support Free
Total USD $1,495.00

It says: "total". But then later you add this 1-2% surcharge. So this is not the "total" price. It should be:

Total USD $1,495.00 +1-2% payment surcharge in case of certain payment methods

It is your right to charge this 1-2% surcharge but I think it should be mentioned explicitly in the documentation. I understand that you need this in order to remain profitable but it should be disclosed on the home page, not just at the very last step of the checkout process. You could also mention the 1% wire transfer discount.
Good morning @Charybdis,

Thank you for your response and feedback.

I will relay a proposal to our team incorporating your feedback and see if any changes regarding this can be made. That being said, we have yet to receive any complaints or remarks from buyers themselves about the payment processing fees since this. is quite a common trend amongst similar service providers. As we also offer methods that allow for a discount the choice is theirs to decide which ever method is preferred. Communicating too many factors prior to a purchase could negatively influence your conversions as it prolongs the decision making process of your buyers. Regardless, I will relay it still!

Enjoy the weekend ahead!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back