Dynadot

DAN.COM Domain Marketplace (Official Thread)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DAN.COM

Domain MarketplaceTop Member
Dan.com Staff
Impact
DAN.COM (formerly known as Undeveloped.com) is on a path to be become the biggest domain marketplace in the world. We use state of the art technology to solve everyday problems buyers and sellers in the domain industry face. At DAN.COM we focus on automating most processes required to buy & sell domains to increase a more efficient and active secondary market for domains.

What sets us apart is our strong focus on product development and customer satisfaction. We leave nothing to chance and every single feature and element we introduce is professionally and carefully designed and built.

DAN.COM is ranked in the top 5 best-rated marketplaces in the world (According to the biggest review platform Trustpilot) and in the domain industry, we're the domain marketplace with the highest rating with an average of 9,4 out of 10 points.

At DAN.COM you will get the highest value for the lowest commission around. Due to our domain transfer automation, we can offer significantly faster handling of domain transactions and payouts (usually within 24 hours) at the lowest fee charged by any domain marketplace.

We've been the first on many fronts and proudly will continue to keep innovating. We were the first to offer optimized for sale pages since 2013, the first to provide payment plans in the form of lease to own and rentals and also the first and only domain marketplace offering free SSL on all domains parked with us for over a year now.

Read more about DAN and our future plans here: https://blog.undeveloped.com/a-big-leap-forward-3a3cc59ed418

This thread is created to act as an informal communication board between the DAN team and the domain community. Feel free to post feedback here and to discuss how you use DAN.

What this thread is not meant for is support. Please contact our support team here: [email protected] when you need assistance.

Previous reviews under old brand: https://www.namepros.com/threads/undeveloped-com-experience.893201/

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I saw this issue mentioned on Twitter, but I just realized that Dan deleted the actual "visitor count" for the current month and all we have are the average and last month's total.

This is a weird deletion as I regularly have a big traffic jump on some domains and I like to see the accurate number of visits for the most recent month/period.

Plus Dan has added a convoluted three extra Domain Detail pages, yet we are losing data? Huh.
Good morning @DomainRecap,

The current setup has been built and released based on a lot of feedback given by our users. We appreciate the feedback given. I will make sure to relay this to our product team for review.

Do let us know in case you have any additional feedback for us!

Last edited:
•••
@LaszloSchenk What about using Paypal mass pay (now Payouts)? Wouldn't that reduce fees?

Last edited:
•••
Dan allows for Google Analytics in its integrations. However the new GA4 seems to have a different tracker ID.

The old one starts with UA and the new one with G. If you enter the new GA4 tracker, Dan calls it invalid and does not accept it.

How do you set up GA4 in Dan ?
Hi, not sure if you worked it out, but there is a full answer in another thread:
https://www.namepros.com/threads/in...e-analytics-using-new-measurement-id.1277254/

At Dan.com you go >Dashboard >Settings >Integrations >Google Analytics and there is now a box there to insert the Measurement ID for your GA4 property that you get from Google Analytics.

It takes a little time to start showing data, but you can test it by going to the Real Time view in Google Analytics.

•••
The current setup has been built and released based on a lot of feedback given by our users.

Listening to the "squeaky wheels" is not the way to make design decisions (especially feature deletions), as that ignores the silent majority who are quite pleased with the features and options available.

If you want the real picture, invite random users to take a survey or to fill out a user requirements checklist.

Last edited:
•••
Regarding the comments made by @DomainRecap:

I'm also missing the Visitor Count for the Current Month.

Last edited:
•••
In the "more info" of the lease to own option, there is language like this:

Use the domain shortly after payment
After the first payment, our system automatically transfers the domain to our own holding registrar to keep it safe and available for you. Once the transfer is done (this can vary per domain since some registrars approve transfers only after 5 days) you can manage the DNS of the domain via your Buyer Control Panel.

I think it needs more clarity that they can begin using it. Something like:

Use the domain shortly after payment
After the first payment, our system automatically transfers the domain to our own holding registrar to keep it safe and available for you. Once the transfer is done (this can vary per domain since some registrars approve transfers only after 5 days) you can manage the DNS of the domain via your Buyer Control Panel. You can then use the domain for web hosting, email and any other function you would do as if you fully owned it.

Something like that. I already had someone ask me about this. "I see I can 'manage the dns', but does that mean I can use it for my hosting project ?". End users don't really understand all the jargon and limitations. Any doubts during the buying process can put it on pause or kill the deal. Many people wont reach out for more info, via chat or email.

Last edited:
•••
@Laz
Good morning @DomainRecap,

Thank you for notifying us.

This issue was reported yesterday as well and relayed to our technical team who is working on a fix as we speak. It will be resolved on a very short notice!

@LaszloSchenk

I just tried to edit some domain notes and it seems to be partially fixed, as "Enter = <p>" now, but Shift-Enter is not available as the standard for <br> like it was before. Hit Shift-Enter and the cursor just sits there.

It was more difficult to use post-update, but also more functional, as when I enter <br> or other HTML code now, it comes out as text. So there is no longer any way to achieve <br> now.

Thanks.

Last edited:
•••
When you export your portfolio you get domain name, added on, buy now, starting offer, monthly views, leads, description.

Is it possible to add a field showing installment months? This would make it easy to see what name has installments and finding names based on length of lease. It could also help cross reference price and installments to see if any should be adjusted for easier financing for the customer.

Thanks.

Last edited:
•••
I just tried to edit some domain notes and it seems to be partially fixed, as "Enter = <p>" now, but Shift-Enter is not available as the standard for <br> like it was before. Hit Shift-Enter and the cursor just sits there.

It was more difficult to use post-update, but also more functional, as when I enter <br> or other HTML code now, it comes out as text. So there is no longer any way to achieve <br> now.

I just tried to re-edit a Domain Note that needed a <br> and the old Shift-Enter keystroke seems to be working again.

Ask and thou shall receive.

Now if we could just get Domain Name and Domain Notes at the top of the screen (where it used to be) I might be able to actually get these 100+ edits done within the century.

•••
I just tried to re-edit a Domain Note that needed a <br> and the old Shift-Enter keystroke seems to be working again.

Ask and thou shall receive.

Now if we could just get Domain Name and Domain Notes at the top of the screen (where it used to be) I might be able to actually get these 100+ edits done within the century.

Actually, I was wrong and it's only half-fixed.

When dealing with an empty Domain Notes field or at the end of the text on a Note, Shift-Enter does absolutely nothing, when it used to create a <br> line break. You can Shift-Enter all day and the cursor just sits there.

The reason I thought it was working again was that I was editing an existing Domain Note, and Shift-Click does work when inside existing text, but only inside existing text.

Weird.

@LaszloSchenk

Last edited:
•••
@LaszloSchenk Do you maybe have information about that when buyers see VAT at checkout that they drop out. Or do you see that there is no difference? Because I'm thinking about maybe showing prices including VAT instead of excluding VAT.

Could perhaps the text "Pay the full ........ now, or make an offer." be adjusted perhaps to something like "Buy now for ........ or make an offer"? Because the text "Pay the full .... now" looks a bit weird. Or leave out the whole text. I don't know what other users will think but I would prefer to put domain description here. That way we can put a short text here ourselves, which will catch the eye of the buyer. For example:

874645675.png

Thanks for your time.

Last edited:
•••
@LaszloSchenk What about using Paypal mass pay (now Payouts)? Wouldn't that reduce fees?
Good morning Janoss,

All options have been carefully considered! I will relay it to our finance department as a suggestion still and will let you know in case anything changes on this front.

Enjoy the week ahead.

•••
Listening to the "squeaky wheels" is not the way to make design decisions (especially feature deletions), as that ignores the silent majority who are quite pleased with the features and options available.

If you want the real picture, invite random users to take a survey or to fill out a user requirements checklist.
Dear @DomainRecap,

Product launches and feature additions are not solely based on the input of a few vocal users. We tend to maintain our own roadmap which is a data driven established roadmap. That does not mean we do not incorporate input from our users.

Regards,

•••
When you export your portfolio you get domain name, added on, buy now, starting offer, monthly views, leads, description.

Is it possible to add a field showing installment months? This would make it easy to see what name has installments and finding names based on length of lease. It could also help cross reference price and installments to see if any should be adjusted for easier financing for the customer.

Thanks.
Good morning @NYJimbo,

I can certainly write out a ticket for this and forward it to our product team!

Thank you for your suggestion.

•••
@LaszloSchenk Do you maybe have information about that when buyers see VAT at checkout that they drop out. Or do you see that there is no difference? Because I'm thinking about maybe showing prices including VAT instead of excluding VAT.

Could perhaps the text "Pay the full ........ now, or make an offer." be adjusted perhaps to something like "Buy now for ........ or make an offer"? Because the text "Pay the full .... now" looks a bit weird. Or leave out the whole text. I don't know what other users will think but I would prefer to put domain description here. That way we can put a short text here ourselves, which will catch the eye of the buyer. For example:

Show attachment 223325

Thanks for your time.
Good morning @td11,

A appreciate the suggestions as always!

Our current setup has been released based on a lot of testing. It is presented based on what catches the eye first, ensuring all relevant data is available in one eye-catch with the sole aim to have one progress right from the initial landing page. We would recommend presenting prices including VAT indeed as there will be no surprises for users during their checkout. This would, however, only go for those not reading the page in full. While it is only a handful that does not read that prices exclude VAT, it will be more beneficial for you to offer prices including VAT.

Enjoy the week ahead!

•••
Love DAN!

Last edited:
•••
Two things

If I receive an offer over 1K and do not opt into brokerage help will GD brokers email me anyways or are we assured they stay out of the negotiations?

I price a domain at 5K

Completes at DAN I get $4550

Completes on Open Distribution (20%) I get $4000

Why are we expected to have pricing the same when the commission is not the same?

•••
Why are we expected to have pricing the same when the commission is not the same?

Unfortunately, I feel that this is a question GoDaddy will answer very soon.

•••
There have been problems with Dan.com landing pages for a few hours now when the option "Redirect your buyers to your internal marketplace for sale pages" is on you often get error "429 too many requests" (a while ago this problem happened with pages where internal marketplace was off). Or try for example https://dan.com/buy-domain/part.eu (you can replace part.eu with your own domain name) and then change the language to Dutch then it says "this page doesnt exist" or you get 429 error again. Tried different devices, ip's browser. Sometimes it works but most of the time it doesn't. I also asked other people around me and they also got error. I have already reported the problem to dan.com. Are you guys also experiencing this problem?

•••
All work except Nederlands shows error
Deutsch works

•••
Two things

If I receive an offer over 1K and do not opt into brokerage help will GD brokers email me anyways or are we assured they stay out of the negotiations?

I price a domain at 5K

Completes at DAN I get $4550

Completes on Open Distribution (20%) I get $4000

Good morning @karmaco,

Yes, only if you personally request for a brokerage for that specific negotiation will they get involved. No other messages will be received otherwise.

In addition, you are not expected to maintain the same price at all. The Open Domain Distribution Network is simply an additional tool for our users to increase their conversion. It is used to create much more exposure as you utilize the network of multiple other platforms. Those platforms do not grant that exposure free of charge. As such, you have the freedom to decide if you want to pay a higher commission to accelerate your sales.

All the best,

•••
There have been problems with Dan.com landing pages for a few hours now when the option "Redirect your buyers to your internal marketplace for sale pages" is on you often get error "429 too many requests" (a while ago this problem happened with pages where internal marketplace was off). Or try for example https://dan.com/buy-domain/part.eu (you can replace part.eu with your own domain name) and then change the language to Dutch then it says "this page doesnt exist" or you get 429 error again. Tried different devices, ip's browser. Sometimes it works but most of the time it doesn't. I also asked other people around me and they also got error. I have already reported the problem to dan.com. Are you guys also experiencing this problem?
Good morning @td11,

Could you contact our support with a few examples? They will be able to relay this to our technical team and identify the problem causing this.

Thank you in advance.

•••
One of the names I own is TheBlueVirus.com.
Can you ask your client Name Pro why he added my domain, never left my possession between May2022 and Sept 2022
Like said before I deleted my names just to see if domainer/investor/scalper would add them.
Your chinese client with 200 thousand plus still got different name listed of mine as does one other account. Offer coming their way shortly
You could rectify this by people agreeing to some form of TOS when they go to click submit names they dont own. Or even own
Hopefully no b slap from moods for the link
I still say over 1 million listings on dan are unauthorized or unregistered
https://dan.com/buy-domain/thebluevirus.com
Only you can see what date this was added which does not help integrity, why dont you share or at least share what explanation this pro has for listing names they dont own

•••
Those platforms do not grant that exposure free of charge. As such, you have the freedom to decide if you want to pay a higher commission to accelerate your sales.

Is this still an account-wide setting or can you choose by domain?

I ask because I have many local ccTLD domains that would never benefit (and I would end up paying more for type-in buyers), but also some .COM/.ORG/etc. that could "accelerate" with the network.

•••
what explanation this pro has for listing names they dont own
He listed it with makeoffer. So, their business model is clear. What is not clear is why DAN still welcomes such customers.

https://dan.com/domain-seller/ceae175c-8df4-442a-b5f7-811fa977aa47?&results=50&order_by=relevance

Why are you letting people add 100's of thousands of names to your marketplace they dont own?
Is it the same seller, or his brother, or genuine seller? 238K domains portfolio! If this seller is genuine - great, must be HugeDomains then (on a spot view, I checked whois for a dozen or so domains, his domains are either under private whois or owned by HugeDomains).

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back