IT.COM

Creating a WP Site/Blog rather than parking?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi,
I have read a few threads in this forum, most refer to parking not making as much as it used to or not doing well at the moment.

Would it be worth creating a wordpress blog or site and adding content or using a news finder script to add posts and then add adsense, amazon affiliates etc?

Using a reseller or multi domain account I can create multiple wp sites. I don't have hundreds of domains so for a small time owner do you think this would work?

Edit: This long thread from a few years ago seems to indicate mini sites would violate adsense terms.
https://www.namepros.com/threads/would-you-post-your-dev-mini-site-s-please.502144/

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It's more work than you think. If you're just reselling the domains I wouldn't bother with all that. Just make nice landers.

•••
Find a freelance.
Create affiliate accounts with Google AdSense, yahoo advertising,taboola,revcontent,outbrain, Amazon,Walmart.

Buy wprobot or sign up cmscommander

Offer freelancer 20% to manage all wordpress sites they create.

20% of all income .
And

If you want offer % of final website sale at flippa.

Selling websites with content and proof of income generated.

Is easier than domains ( so I've heard )

If needed hire seo experts . Drop the 20% to 10%

Seo experts 10% web designers 10%

Up to you to work the percentages to your advantage .

So all the work is taken off your hands.

And you still make 80%

Of course factor in operating costs like hosting and press releases! You might end up with 50% but still that's ok no?

Then you would have an income generating domain. That pays for itself.

Just my two cents

I agree with createweb it's hard.

But nothing easy is ever worthwhile.

And the initial investment like buying a year of hosting and wprobot isn't cheap. But if done right expenditure can be offset. By future income.

•••
Find a freelance.
Create affiliate accounts with Google AdSense, yahoo advertising,taboola,revcontent,outbrain, Amazon,Walmart.

20% of all income .
And

And you still make 80%

Of course factor in operating costs like hosting and press releases! You might end up with 50% but still that's ok no?

Just my two cents

And the initial investment like buying a year of hosting and wprobot isn't cheap. But if done right expenditure can be offset. By future income.

no don't do any of that
it won't work
not worth the effort

it's 2017 , guys not 2004

•••
I think it would be better. I have a blog with landing page for each domain. There's a little traffic from some of my own domains which forward to those landing pages. Next step is to add affiliate ads that target each niche on every landing page.

•••
no don't do any of that
it won't work
not worth the effort

it's 2017 , guys not 2004

Ok I'm curious Frank why not?

It's been pushed many times on domainers to develop as that's where the money is now in this game.

I genuinely want to know not trying to be antagonist here. As I did plan to do this. Actually already in the middle of it.

So is developing so you have income generating domain is a bad idea?

Here to learn and pick brains.

Last edited:
•••
I was on the path to adding affiliate ads to my landing/sale pages last year. Someone suggested that it might take away from a potential sale. Now I think contrary. If end user sees you have a nice site and are even using your domain to get revenue (from people that might have visited without intention of buying the domain), the end-user will be inclined to pay more judging by your good use of the name. I don't think a serious buyer would be turned away by a few ads, especially if they looked good where they are.

•••
Everyone here in this thread posted good tips. I am not sure if your goal is to purely sell the domains or to monetize them instead.

If done right yes it can work nicely. GL.

•••
I'm building Amazon affiliate sites on some of my names. Not so long ago I sold one of them here on NP for $420, which made some $150 ish in a few months. Another that has been built in March, made $300 in 100% autopilot. The key is to sell rather expensive products, because Amazon's 4% revenue share is a joke.

The only problem is it's extremely time consuming, and requires a lot of patience (which I don't have when it comes to development), so one site can be done in a week or two or even more.
Tho I used to play with the idea if my entire portfolio (around 100 names at this point) was developed out with the same quality as those 2 I mentioned above, how much money it would make?

If you are not time billionaire, or have a daily job it won't be easy.
So outsourcing can be a good idea BUT...
Find a freelance.

20% of all income .
And
... it sounds simple, most likely not. When you gonna not only heard it from somewhere but done it yourself, I'm interested to hear your experiences.

•••
What you're describing is web developing, which is fine. But you need to decide if you want to be a web developer or a domainer.

•••
Ok I'm curious Frank why not?

It's been pushed many times on domainers to develop as that's where the money is now in this game.

I genuinely want to know not trying to be antagonist here. As I did plan to do this. Actually already in the middle of it.

So is developing so you have income generating domain is a bad idea?

Here to learn and pick brains.

the question is
what is your business

there is no fast track to affiliate commission no more

you need more work and focus
to promote your site

and then your income source may tell you
"we canceled the relation, your account is terminated"

like using w/pro/bot
will make you lose your amz acount

but mainly its this
"what you focus on will grow"

if you think
i don't know what I am talking about
check this:

boatpartssto/re(.)/c/om

Last edited:
•••
I'm building Amazon affiliate sites on some of my names. Not so long ago I sold one of them here on NP for $420, which made some $150 ish in a few months. Another that has been built in March, made $300 in 100% autopilot. The key is to sell rather expensive products, because Amazon's 4% revenue share is a joke.

The only problem is it's extremely time consuming, and requires a lot of patience (which I don't have when it comes to development), so one site can be done in a week or two or even more.
Tho I used to play with the idea if my entire portfolio (around 100 names at this point) was developed out with the same quality as those 2 I mentioned above, how much money it would make?

... it sounds simple, most likely not. When you gonna not only heard it from somewhere but done it yourself, I'm interested to hear your experiences.

To be honest. I found one that would do it for 5% and found an SEO expert to do the seo for each for 5% also.

Grand total 10% out of pocket. No shelling out of pocket upfront.

No pay unless they show results.

•••
The problem is the more site you build the more that get hacked. The idea is great just make it hard for hackers and put new sites in new directories so you can sell them as well. Harder to transfer sites when you can move the account. Some of my blog sites move gigs of traffic.

Last edited:
•••

Amazon is great but they did cut down commission %.

But there are other sites hungry for customers willing to pay higher.

Target?
Walmart ?
Jet?
Alibaba?
Rakuten?
Clickbank?

Or what about content ads? Like taboola? Outbrain? Revcontent? Mgid.com? Content.ad?

Got a crypto domain?

Cointraffic.io

Got an ico domain? Promote ico's and get paid in coin for referrals.

It's like getting into an ico for free.then sell once on market .

•••
Find a freelance.

20% of all income .
And

And you still make 80%

Just my two cents

It's really difficult to rank sites these days. If you can't rank, you won't make anything. If you won't make anything, 20% will be $0. Freelancers know this, I doubt they will work for a profit %. Most would want a fixed pay.

WProbot won't make you money. It's not easy.

•••
Amazon is great but they did cut down commission %.

But there are other sites hungry for customers willing to pay higher.

Target?
Walmart ?
Jet?
Alibaba?
Rakuten?
Clickbank?

Or what about content ads? Like taboola? Outbrain? Revcontent? Mgid.com? Content.ad?

Got a crypto domain?

Cointraffic.io

Got an ico domain? Promote ico's and get paid in coin for referrals.

It's like getting into an ico for free.then sell once on market .

first you need traffic
you won't get it w/o spend

•••
•••
I was looking through a few other threads and found dub.io. I signed up and sent over a test domain to see how it works. I seems to be similar to what I wanted to do but it using a simplified page/site to grab news and snippets from other sources and list them neatly on a page. Having only just set it up today, it looks interesting. There are also options to add custom pages. Looks interesting. Might consider this for some sites and set up blogs with social media accounts for other sites.
How do you guys track the effectiveness of a site, google analytics stats?

I don't expect it to be easy, I have had some affiliate sites going for a year with Amazon, no traffic and very few sales but it was my introduction to wordpress and affiliate plugins.

I have had domains sitting in my account for 10+ years doing nothing - no landing page, no advertising. Might as well get started with something now :)

•••
Following on from another point earlier, creating a WP blog is time consuming but a decent site/blog can be made in a few hours. Not sure about the autopost affecting the ads tos. You could use something like Divi, make a site layout and then just export it to other sites. That is probably obvious, content is what I am thinking about. How much fresh content do you need to make a site valuable?
I saw a site for sale in the auction which looked basic but had 2-300 recipes and guide, I think it sold for $100. Is that worth the time?

•••
Find a freelance.

20% of all income .
And

And you still make 80%

Just my two cents

I'm guessing you have done none of the things you recommend. That is a whole lot of bad advice right there.

Last edited:
•••
I was looking through a few other threads and found dub.io. I signed up and sent over a test domain to see how it works. I seems to be similar to what I wanted to do but it using a simplified page/site to grab news and snippets from other sources and list them neatly on a page. Having only just set it up today, it looks interesting. There are also options to add custom pages. Looks interesting. Might consider this for some sites and set up blogs with social media accounts for other sites.
How do you guys track the effectiveness of a site, google analytics stats?

I don't expect it to be easy, I have had some affiliate sites going for a year with Amazon, no traffic and very few sales but it was my introduction to wordpress and affiliate plugins.

I have had domains sitting in my account for 10+ years doing nothing - no landing page, no advertising. Might as well get started with something now :)

Thanks for this.

I have couple of domains that I wanted to develop myself, but just lack the. I've just set up dub.io for one of them to see how it goes, as you are absolutely right - might as well get started with something.

•••
I'm guessing you have done none of the things you recommend. That is a whole lot of bad advice right there.

Working on it. Giving it a try with advice from someone already generating an income from mini RSS fed sites.

It's like restaurant biz really. Some win some lose but if you never try you never know.

Some fail because they didn't do it right. Others succeed because they did something those who failed did not. Pretty basic.

No offense to anyone here.

Gonna give it a try.

•••
Following on from another point earlier, creating a WP blog is time consuming but a decent site/blog can be made in a few hours. Not sure about the autopost affecting the ads tos. You could use something like Divi, make a site layout and then just export it to other sites. That is probably obvious, content is what I am thinking about. How much fresh content do you need to make a site valuable?
I saw a site for sale in the auction which looked basic but had 2-300 recipes and guide, I think it sold for $100. Is that worth the time?

I received the got an Indian spam offering $1.5 for 100 words service. So 600 words for about $5

Granted you can't trust the cheapness. But you can have them verify originality on certain sites online that check for plaigerism I forget the sites.

So have auto gen content and pay for guest original posts.

Also for added income.

Add a disqus comment section below each post.

•••
first you need traffic
you won't get it w/o spend

What about the whole...
"Buy domains or rereg dropped domains with high amount backlinks and use those to boost your traffic and rank?" Idea?

I remember this.

Also I hear YouTube is the only way to go now to promote your site.

Is this true?

•••
I used to buy domains with load of backlinks but then i just ended up with a bunch of crappy names that forget to drop. I build backlinks so generally worry more about name itself unless a 250k pops up..

•••
Back