IT.COM

news Covid19-Coronavirus updates and news

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Mister Funsky

Top Member
Impact
Having relatives and friends scattered all over the globe, I am getting an overload of input (some on the record and some off the record).

My intention for this thread is for community members from around the world to post first hand stories and/or links to information sources that, for the most part, should be reliable.

In my community, just outside a major southeastern city, 'assets' have been placed. Only because I have friends in both high and low places have I heard about some of this. At this point it is only some basic medical supplies that should be equally distributed anyway in preparation for a natural emergency (hurricane/wildfire/etc.).

I will start with posting a link to a site with current data that seems to come from an aggregate of sources and hope others will do the same as they come across similar sites/pages.

Because of the 'typhoid Mary' spread-ability of this disease, I feel we may be in for a really large spread globally which will impact the global economy and through extension, retail domain prices.

One thing is for sure...things will get worse before they get better.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/usa-coronavirus/

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Again, take a deep breath and relax - there really isnt much more you can do to protect yourself from this virus than the Flu. Take care of yourself, avoid going out - if you are worried about exposure from others - not sure what else you can do. I have family in Iran - they are freaking out, but it's not like in the US. I speak with Drs, Health Insurance Executives, & people across the health space daily - they are not more concerned than they would be for a bad Flu outbreak - pandemic - etc. it's still a virus & in terms of treatment - there is nothing more than they can do for it than the Flu.

I am not saying this isnt a huge problem - I am saying freaking out is not going to help, in fact stress would make you more likely to get sick.

Take care of yourself, wash a lot, don't touch your eyes - it is not a reason to panic in the US. I'll let you know what I hear from overseas, when speak with them again.

•••
I see what you're saying, but I'm really not sure that anyone's panicking. Pretty sure no one is saying we need to panic. I fully agree that panic can only cause more issues.

This thread is devoted to COVID-19, and as such, we are discussing these events and practical information as it relates to ways we can be responsible citizens and prepare accordingly.

Fact is, the U.S. is generally unprepared for this or other similar events, so imho it would be irresponsible to simply ignore what's happening, and strictly rely on government.

Personally, I'm delighted that widespread testing is FINALLY being rolled out. That's been my #1 gripe. It's now March, and our government has been aware of the need for 2 months now.

Last edited:
•••
Breaking: 2 more coronavirus cases today in King County, WA

The two new cases are both males in their 60s with "underlying health conditions". One is "in critical but stable condition" at Valley Medical Center in Renton. The other is in critical condition at Virginia Mason Medical Center, the release said.

"This number is expected to rise as more people are tested and results confirmed."

"Public Health is aware that the U.S. Postal Service is reporting that one of its employees was diagnosed with COVID-19. This person was one of the four cases already reported."

•••
A Message from the Surgeon General.

"Seriously people- STOP BUYING MASKS!
They are NOT effective in preventing general public from catching Coronavirus,
but if healthcare providers can’t get them to care for sick patients,
it puts them and our communities at risk! "

The Surgeon General should explain why healthcare providers need masks
if masks are "NOT effective." And saying that masks are "NOT effective in
preventing general public from catching Coronavirus" are weasel lawyer words.
What I want to know is if my wearing a mask is at all useful in preventing
me from catching the Coronavirus. Sadly...you can't trust the so-called experts.
Get masks!

•••
A Message from the Surgeon General.

What I want to know is if my wearing a mask is at all useful in preventing
me from catching the Coronavirus. Sadly...you can't trust the so-called experts.
Get masks!

The masks don't work if your eyes are not covered too.

•••

True. Also--masks, regardless of rating, are very little use if they do not have rubber/silicon seal...particles get in through gap. However, they are very effective if a person with a virus wears them..keeps it from spewing into room when sneezing/coughing/talking. I've picked up some masks in case someone near me gets it...either they wear it or they can fetch their own chicken noodle soup!

•••
What I want to know is if my wearing a mask is at all useful in preventing me from catching the Coronavirus. Sadly...you can't trust the so-called experts.
Get masks!

No simple answer. Depends on type of mask, if it's properly worn, how long it's worn, the conditions in which you're wearing it, etc etc. Generally speaking, the greatest need would of course be with the healthcare workers on the front lines. But for those in the public with a higher risk of complications, a mask could be beneficial in certain situations, in my non-professional opinion. But it still needs to be combined with other precautions - the main one being frequent, proper hand-washing. For those at a higher risk, do what you can reasonably do to limit your potential exposure, such as avoiding unnecessary trips to the store, public gatherings, etc.

Problem is, masks are widely sold out - partially due to people scooping them up by the cartload to resell them on eBay, where a $1 disposable mask is bringing like $5-20 ea. I don't think people are realizing that these are TEMPORARY, single-use masks. Another reason they're selling so quickly is because some are purchasing them to send overseas to family and friends in areas of even greater concern. At the end of the day, the supply is nowhere near the demand, so we're simply going to have to adapt and make do without for the time being. If this virus continues its spread, it will take a long time to catch up with the demand - especially if we don't start rationing the supplies like other countries are doing.

Even hand sanitizer is sold out in stores because people are buying it to sell on eBay at 5X the price. Bunch of fucking low-lifes!

Last edited:
•••
Hmmm, I wonder why all the 33s?

aasr.png

•••
FFS dude! Have some fucking @Compassion and quit sharing CONSPIRACY THEORIES!

•••
•••

Pink eye won't kill you. Pneumonia can kill you.
Wear goggles if you are worried about pink eye.

•••
•••
@Compassion PLEASE STOP TROLLING.

Conspiracy theory posts reported & I'm now using the IGNORE feature for the first time ever, in my 15 years of being on Namepros (this is my upgraded account).

Last edited:
•••
YOU. ARE. A. TROLL.

Posts reported & I'm now using the IGNORE feature for the first time ever, in my 15 years of being on Namepros (this is my upgraded account).

LOL

I'm an acupuncturist.

Hundreds of people entrust my services as a health care provider.

•••
•••
Seven Redmond, Washington, medics are being quarantined after possible exposure to the novel coronavirus, according to a tweet from Redmond Police’s verified account.

Twenty-five firefighters and two police officers from the city of Kirkland are also under quarantine. The first responders who were quarantined had responded to calls for "various medical complaints" at the Life Care Center where two people were diagnosed Saturday, according to the city of Kirkland's website.

And from a few days ago as I already noted: 124 healthcare workers have been sent home to quarantine themselves for 2 weeks - this from ONE case of COVID-19.

^^

This sort of thing is exactly why I'm saying people need to make preparations in case we are left to fend for ourselves. Fire departments, police departments, hospitals, utilities, etc - these systems COULD collapse if this becomes a widespread problem. This is not sustainable on a large scale. Our government has been negligent in its lack of preparation.

Last edited:
•••
Seven Redmond, Washington, medics are being quarantined after possible exposure to the novel coronavirus, according to a tweet from Redmond Police’s verified account.

Twenty-five firefighters and two police officers from the city of Kirkland are also under quarantine. The first responders who were quarantined had responded to calls for "various medical complaints" at the Life Care Center where two people were diagnosed Saturday, according to the city of Kirkland's website.

And from a few days ago as I already noted: 124 healthcare workers have been sent home to quarantine themselves for 2 weeks - this from ONE case of COVID-19.

^^

This sort of thing is exactly why I'm saying people need to make preparations in case we are left to fend for ourselves. Fire departments, police departments, hospitals, utilities, etc - these systems COULD collapse if this becomes a widespread problem. This is not sustainable on a large scale. Our government has been negligent in its lack of preparation.

Yes.... good to be prepped with extra supplies.

And this very well may be the scapegoat that has been planned for decades to crash the funny fiat money markets that are less stable than a house of cards.

A classic - more truth than fiction in this film . . .
https://www.amazon.com/Wag-Dog-Dustin-Hoffman/dp/B000YHGCOW

•••
•••
Yes.... good to be prepped with extra supplies.

And this very well may be the scapegoat that has been planned for decades to crash the funny fiat money markets that are less stable than a house of cards.

A classic - more truth than fiction in this film . . .
https://www.amazon.com/Wag-Dog-Dustin-Hoffman/dp/B000YHGCOW

There was very little water left on the shelf at my local costco, some people wearing masks as well, i could somewhat see the fear on the public's faces while shopping today.

I think a very important thing that society needs to remember, the Flu and common cold are still in season and thriving, if what i saw today is any indication of what is yet to come, people will flock to the hospitals in fear of having the CoronaVirus should they get the Flu or a cold.

•••
Last edited:
•••
•••
There was very little water left on the shelf at my local costco, some people wearing masks as well, i could somewhat see the fear on the public's faces while shopping today.

What state? I keep hearing about a mad rush at Costcos in WA. Thanks for verifying.

Tons of water here in Ohio, since no cases have yet been announced here.
Bought another dozen gallons this afternoon....

•••
What state? I keep hearing about a mad rush at Costcos in WA. Thanks for verifying.

Tons of water here in Ohio, since no cases have yet been announced here.
Bought another dozen gallons this afternoon....

North Texas here.

•••
North Texas here.
Interesting, thanks.

Personally, I'm buying supplies for not only myself, but also for other various family members who aren't taking this seriously. I'm literally the only one who is. The average American has this mental block where they feel that we're somehow untouchable & nothing serious can happen here. Such arrogance...

If nothing else, I won't have to buy bottled water for a LONG time!

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back