Dynadot

news Covid19-Coronavirus updates and news

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Mister Funsky

Top Member
Impact
Having relatives and friends scattered all over the globe, I am getting an overload of input (some on the record and some off the record).

My intention for this thread is for community members from around the world to post first hand stories and/or links to information sources that, for the most part, should be reliable.

In my community, just outside a major southeastern city, 'assets' have been placed. Only because I have friends in both high and low places have I heard about some of this. At this point it is only some basic medical supplies that should be equally distributed anyway in preparation for a natural emergency (hurricane/wildfire/etc.).

I will start with posting a link to a site with current data that seems to come from an aggregate of sources and hope others will do the same as they come across similar sites/pages.

Because of the 'typhoid Mary' spread-ability of this disease, I feel we may be in for a really large spread globally which will impact the global economy and through extension, retail domain prices.

One thing is for sure...things will get worse before they get better.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/usa-coronavirus/

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
•••
Recently picked up several items from REI "just in case" and thought I'd share (no affiliate links or anything) since they have potential to be quite useful in power outage situations (not necessarily here with COVID-19, but in general).

BioLite SolarPanel 5+
Solar panel for charging phones & other USB devices.
I have not yet tested this particular model - planning to this weekend.

Midland Weather Alert Crank Radio
The digital Midland Weather Alert crank radio offers AM, FM and NOAA weather broadcasts, along with a bright Cree LED flashlight, USB charger output, hand crank and solar panel for emergency power.
I have not yet tested this particular model - planning to this weekend.

Esbit Solid Fuel Tablets
Stocked up on these fuel tablets for use with various backpacking stoves (my Caldera Cone setup is extremely lightweight & can run off alcohol, wood or esbit). Heads up: these things smell like rotting fish, lol.

Obviously everyone's situation is different, but some other random things you might consider, off the top of my head:

- thermometer (recently mentioned in this thread);
- flashlights;
- batteries;
- external battery packs;
- maps & compass;
- first aid kit & book;
- keep a full tank of gas in your vehicle

•••
•••

"According to AIPAC’s website, more than two-thirds of Congress attend the annual policy event, which occurred earlier this month."

"Those scheduled to speak at the event this year included Nita Lowey, D-N.Y., House Republican Leader Rep. Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif., Secretary of State Mike Pompeo; and Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y, according to its website."

Last edited:
•••
NBA advises teams to prep contingency plans for games without fans due to coronavirus

"The National Basketball Association sent a memo to teams on Friday night, urging officials to prepare game contingency plans should the coronavirus continue to spread."

NHL monitoring coronavirus, preparing contingency plans

Commissioner Bettman says League 'focused on all possibilities' but waiting to see how situation evolves

Coronavirus: MLB has no plans to cancel games, sets up task force, report says

The league is monitoring the outbreak

XFL 'Closely Monitoring' Coronavirus Situation as Los Angeles Declares Emergency

"We have established a COVID-19 task force and are closely monitoring this public health issue."

Last edited:
•••
"According to AIPAC’s website, more than two-thirds of Congress attend the annual policy event, which occurred earlier this month."

"Those scheduled to speak at the event this year included Nita Lowey, D-N.Y., House Republican Leader Rep. Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif., Secretary of State Mike Pompeo; and Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y, according to its website."

Iran government officials , deputy minister of health and their vice president caught the coronavirus

Now some US government officials at the very least have been exposed to the coronavirus. I could post my thoughts on this from a life experience common sense view, but i will keep it only to the facts.

•••
•••
I went to costco yesterday evening to buy half priced Corona Beer, yep 50% off the beer because people aren't buying it, anyways, So i go through the front door, a employee hands me a sanitizer wipe of some kind, i get the beer and an am heading to the check out when i turn the corner this lady is spraying something on the side of a wall, i get to checkout, pay and a employee was standing in the middle of the floor with a bottle of hand sanitizer squirting it in people hands as we left.

This trip, i didn't see far as many people wearing masks as i did last trip, perhaps because of the mask shortage i dunno.

Should it come to it, I am going to make my own mask, even though the surgeon general says we don't need one.

Last edited:
•••
Cancer patient aboard coronavirus-stalled cruise faces possible chemotherapy delay
https://www.yahoo.com/news/cancer-patient-aboard-coronavirus-stalled-061907792.html

The above would be a reality should the virus bring in city quarantine's across the USA.

For those with Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes, heart ailments, any problem that requires a daily medication. this could be a big problem, very possibly life threatening for those that absolutely must have their medications.

•••
•••
I am posting the link below for 'newbies' to this thread as some may happen upon its 'bump' to a visible status and may not have the time or desire to pull through all the posts (thanks to several individuals there is a lot of excellent information) although it would be a good idea.

The article has some basic questions and answers with embedded links to further information.

Coronavirus update: From hand sanitizer to quarantine, what is COVID-19 and how can you prepare and protect yourself?

https://www.masslive.com/coronavirus/2020/03/coronavirus-update-from-hand-sanitizer-to-quarantine-what-is-covid-19-and-how-can-you-prepare-and-protect-yourself.html

•••
IShould it come to it, I am going to make my own mask, even though the surgeon general says we don't need one.

IMG_20200307_081153_01.jpg

Here's a idea.

•••
I am thankful this viral discussion thread has not mutated into a political debate. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion depending on where they fall on the political spectrum.

As domainers, innovators, digital citizens all, we share a responsiblility to maintain a sense of decency amid a growing global crisis that knows no borders nor socio-economic boundaries. A global pandemic is the ideal petri dish for media extortion and misinformation, spreading hyperbole and fueling public reaction. As the saying goes, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. I believe education is key to prevention, the cure rests in compassion and humanity.

Last edited:
•••
•••
I am thankful this viral discussion thread has not mutated into a political debate. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion depending on where they fall on the political spectrum.

As domainers, innovators, digital citizens all, we share a responsiblility to maintain a sense of decency amid a growing global crisis that knows no borders nor socio-economic boundaries. A global pandemic is the ideal petri dish for media extortion and misinformation, spreading hyperbole and fueling public reaction. As the saying goes, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. I believe education is key to prevention, the cure rests in compassion and humanity.

Well said. Being educated and prepared is the only intent here.

I would have to suggest anyone inclined to politicize this issue to keep heir political musings, like their dirty underwear, to themselves. :xf.smile:

•••
Last edited:
•••
•••
I have been hesitant to mention this but since it has been brought to light in a different thread I figured it was time to interject it here. My nephew in law (surgeon) suggested this would become an issue a couple months ago...lots of theories as to why.

"advisable to use contactless payments to reduce the risk of transmission,"

Can cash carry coronavirus? World Health Organization says use digital payments when possible

https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...covid-19-concerns-over-using-cash/4973975002/

•••
•••
Just got back from making the rounds here in OH. With KY announcing a case yesterday, it seems people are starting to catch on a little more locally as to what's happening.

Besides the obvious lack of hand sanitizer- Kroger, Walmart, & Meijer were all out of isopropyl alcohol, and out of or running low on antibacterial hand soap. It would seem that's what may run out next here.

Walmart now has pallets of bottled water at both entrances (highly unusual), and Kroger's water stock seemed lower than usual; Walmart & Meijer were well-stocked.

Aside from that - busy (hey it's the weekend) but business as usual.

-----

Meanwhile, just read this:

Don’t click link in ‘statewide alert’ about Cleveland Clinic coronavirus — it’s a naked picture

And on a related note:

Coronavirus: Scammers follow the headlines (via FTC)

"Scammers are taking advantage of fears surrounding the Coronavirus. They’re setting up websites to sell bogus products, and using fake emails, texts, and social media posts as a ruse to take your money and get your personal information."

Last edited:
•••
Confirmed cases in US reach 395, with 19 deaths

Grand Princess: 21 (19 crew members and 2 passengers); Arizona: 5; California: 84; Colorado: 8; Florida: 7; Georgia: 3; Hawaii: 1; Illinois: 6; Indiana: 1; Kentucky: 1; Massachusetts: 13; Maryland: 3; Minnesota: 2; Nebraska: 14; Nevada: 2; New Hampshire: 2; New Jersey: 4; New York: 76; North Carolina: 2; Oklahoma: 1; Oregon: 7; Pennsylvania: 2; Rhode Island: 2; South Carolina: 2; Tennessee: 1; Texas: 19; Utah: 2; Washington: 102; Wisconsin: 1.

There have been 16 virus-related deaths in Washington state; 2 in Florida; and 1 in California.

Roughly 5,861 coronavirus tests completed by CDC and public health labs

"As of Friday at 6 p.m. ET, roughly 5,861 tests for coronavirus have been completed by CDC and public health labs, FDA Commissioner Dr. Stephen Hahn said at off-camera briefing at the White House on Saturday.

This does not mean that 5,861 people have been tested. Currently each person tested typically has two swabs taken – one from the nose and one from the throat.

The 5,861 number also does not include tests performed at private or commercial labs.

Right now Hahn said there is an ability to perform 75,000 tests. Officials, however, expect that number to jump dramatically next week with the additional production by private manufacturers of coronavirus testing kits."

Last edited:
•••
Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine gives update on COVID-19

"DeWine said Saturday the state now has the ability to test for the novel coronavirus (COVID-19).

The Ohio Department of Health has, as of Saturday, the ability to test between 300 and 400 people for the virus.

The state is also turning to private laboratories to conduct COVID-19 testing. So far, LabCorp offices in the state can test for the virus, and it is expected Quest Diagnostics will be able to test early this week. In addition, DeWine said it is expected some hospitals will be able to test within two weeks."

^^
This is the part that really gets me. "Some" hospitals, within "two weeks"!? How are they not a priority here!? ***Sigh*** The shit show continues....

Last edited:
•••
•••
Not "my" thread, and obviously others are welcome to chime in on this, but personally, I don't think a "news and updates" thread is the right place to venture down Anonymous rabbit holes..... imho that's best left for a conspiracy theory free-for-all thread like [this].

I agree with the feller quoted in this article:

'Preppers' have endured years of mockery. Coronavirus fears have given them a booming self-survival business

"I've been there, in the first year I started the web shop and I also got kind of sucked in with it, I was checking it every day. I was like, 'Oh yeah, that can happen, that can happen, we also need to prepare for that.'

"It didn't make me a happier person being there every day and doing that every day and I still really support the need for prepping and why people need to prep, I think it's really important but I don't think it's -- I would advise against it to go on the internet every day and see all the conspiracies. It's a big rabbit hole and once you go down it, I don't think your life will be better for it."

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back