Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.

RJ

Domain BuyerTop Member
Impact
Last edited by a moderator:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Yes! I missed the NP contest forum, like hell. DP is filled with scammer(s).

Last edited:
•••
on this post
just a headsup, typo
Under NOOOOOOOO circumstances should ANY entries be submitted or accepted by PM. The reason you are holding a public contest is so people can enter, and see the competition. It also opens up the whole possability of "Rips" and "Copied" material. If I find this happening, the contest will be closed immediately.

should be
Under NOOOOOOOO circumstances should ANY entries be submitted or accepted by PM. The reason you are holding a public contest is so people can enter, and see the competition. It also opens up the whole possibility of "Rips" and "Copied" material. If I find this happening, the contest will be closed immediately.

•••
I also missed the NP contest forum

•••
I've missed it as well, great to have it back!

•••
Glad to see them back...
:)

•••
weblord said:
on this post
just a headsup, typo
should be
Under NOOOOOOOO circumstances should ANY entries be submitted or accepted by PM. The reason you are holding a public contest is so people can enter, and see the competition. It also opens up the whole possibility of "Rips" and "Copied" material. If I find this happening, the contest will be closed immediately.
Fixed the typo. - Thanks!

Designers, PLEASE watermark your designs.

•••
I didn't get it...do designers have to pay something to NamePros or it is just referring to contest holders...tnx

and can please somebody tell me when I submit my design...how to put it on forum...I mean when I upload my submission to imageshack or some other site...I can put a link, but how to put a visible picture
sorry if my english is bad ;)

•••
Mile1 said:
I didn't get it...do designers have to pay something to NamePros or it is just referring to contest holders...tnx

and can please somebody tell me when I submit my design...how to put it on forum...I mean when I upload my submission to imageshack or some other site...I can put a link, but how to put a visible picture
sorry if my english is bad ;)

Hello Mile1...welcome

No you don't have to pay as a designer. The contest holder pays the winning designer.

The best way to post your design is by using the size: 640X480 PX (with your design in the center).

And when posting use the:
tags.

hope this helps :)

•••
•••
Hello Folks,

I'm one of the designers who submits entries to NP contests from time to time. There are some small problems with this section and I have suggestions to solve them.

The Problem:
The contest holder starts a contest with a low price that doesn't do justice to the type of work he is expecting. As a result many designers don't enter and at the end there are't enough good entries. Then the contest holder is forced to pick one of the average entries.

The Solution:

Allow contest holders to increase the award and to extend the contest at the same time. Change this rule:
Extending The Deadline
The contest holder is allowed to extend the competition by 48 hours maximum IF there are less than 4 design entries from 4 different members. It is unlikely that you will not get a design that reflects your budget within this time period.
to this:
Extending The Deadline
The contest holder is allowed to extend the competition by 48 hours maximum IF there are less than 4 design entries from 4 different members. It is unlikely that you will not get a design that reflects your budget within this time period.
Contests can also be extended at any time up to 72 hours if the award price is increased at least %20 of what it was before.

Edit:
removed some other suggestions to keep it simple.

Last edited:
•••
Hello marcello,
I don't know that we are in the position to ask for more money in the contests. That's true, the prizes are kinda low, but this is the choice of each contest holder.
They should think about this, before they start a contest, but changing the rules in our favor won't work.
They will run to another forums, like DP, and they'll find there designers as good as us.
The only option will be to add some *Notes, so, they'll know that they'll see more designers, and more entries, if the prize will be bigger.

This is my personal opinion.

Kindly regards,
ColorsDeluxe

•••
ColorsDeluxe,

I have seen here too many contests that ended up bad because the award was too low. Let's say the contest holder has started a contest with $25. Indeed there is right now a logo contest running with that price. And let's say the quality and number of the entries are low.

In this scenario what would be better for the contest holder?
A. To be forced to pick a winner among the entries he doesn't like.
B. To have the option to increase the price and extend the contest at the same time to attract new designers.

•••
But he's having the option to increase the price. Example the contest with real estate template. In the beginning the price was really low, and he made it $150. Then I entered and I won. Maybe the problem is with the deadline, to have the right to extend the contest for another 24; 48 or 72 hours.
Let's see what the staff has to say.

•••
Thankyou all for your comments and suggestions.

As far as the prize ammount goes it is entirely up to the contest holder what he/she offers and they are more than welcome to increase the prize at any time during the contest, the only time they are allowed to extend the end time is if there are less than 4 entries by 4 different people.

However there are some changes to the rules in the pipeline to help make the contest forum better for both parties, designer and CH so please watch this space.

Thanks again for your comments and feel free to PM me any suggestions

•••
We have currently another failed contest and I think that experience could help revise the contest rules.
IMO there are two details that need changing.

1. Providing feedback should be suggested in the contest rules. It is inevitable that there will be more disastrous contest in the future if the importance of feedback is not stressed enough, let alone supporting the opposite.

2. There should be a rule that lets the contest holder extend the deadline and rise the award simultaneously. This is a way for late acting contest holders to save an otherwise failed contest.

•••
Some time ago we had a failed contest here. That contest was a fiasco because the price was too low for the project. I suggested a price increase. But instead listening to good advice the contest holder was very rude in his response. As a result the quality of the entries was low. You could say, well that's the contest holders problem then. That's right, but instead paying the promised low amount for the low quality entries or listening to advice and increasing the price, the contest holder decided to run.

Because of that failed contest lots of design time was wasted and no designer was paid. Also forum moderators lost credibility because they didn't apply the rules. And the contest holder ended up in my ignore list as the sole person at NP I have ignored.

Now the same person has just started a new contest here. I'm not suggesting that he won't pay this time either. I believe he will. But I wish the designers would act more according principles and the moderators would act according the rules. I wouldn't enter that contest even if I was an outsider.

Last edited:
•••
Thankyou for your concern.

When that first contest was started I had only just become mod and was still getting used to things, until you brought it up I had completely forgotten about it. However I will talk to the OP regarding the thread and apply rules if necessary, however I dont feel it is fair of you to say I have lost credibility over it.

•••
Not sure if you are aware or not, but the rules link in the first post is not showing anymore, just a "Page not found".... Not sure if it's a temporary glitch or not, but thought I would say something :)

•••
Not sure if you are aware or not, but the rules link in the first post is not showing anymore, just a "Page not found".... Not sure if it's a temporary glitch or not, but thought I would say something :)
fixed.

•••
the watermark link needs to be fixed and mods should remind people in contests to see what a good example of a watermark is, because the few doing it are not really protecting the work.

also, i feel the people putting the contest on need to use a rating system from 1-10 on the likenesses that they would use something submitted for each entry..for the small amounts they are offering they are asking a lot of the designers and i feel this would help them pinpoint a positive direction

•••
the watermark link needs to be fixed and mods should remind people in contests to see what a good example of a watermark is, because the few doing it are not really protecting the work.

also, i feel the people putting the contest on need to use a rating system from 1-10 on the likenesses that they would use something submitted for each entry..for the small amounts they are offering they are asking a lot of the designers and i feel this would help them pinpoint a positive direction

The watermark link works fine: http://www.namepros.com/design-contests/379563-how-to-watermark-your-designs.html .. the maroon line you see through it is just an added feature so people know what threads are locked / closed (But the links still work).

As for a rating system where the CH can rate each design independently, this platform doesn't support such a system currently. However, Your suggestion is much appreciated, Thanks. :)

•••
cool, weird link didn't work before...

would like to see additional rules that benefit the designers..so whatever you guys do would be appreciated

•••
We need a Reform on the rules.

Add a rule that states something like
"If you are a First-time Contest holder AND have less than 10 iTrader, you must pay upfront to the forum moderator"

this way senior Members should have no problem, and new members will have quality entries and a level of trust from contestants.

•••
Thanks for the suggestion Nodws, It's an idea that's been talked about a few times (Recoding the contest platform to accept payments) but there hasn't been any progress as of yet. It's definitely something we will keep in consideration though. At the moment I don't think we have enough contest holder vs. designers to support such a system, but I am confident that when the contest section grows we can look more seriously to making the environment a better and safer place for everyone.

Always open to ideas everyone has. :)

Eric Lyon
Member Services

•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back