Domain Empire

Contacting endusers email, How NOT to get flagged as spam.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

John0

Established Member
Impact
As per title, Im going to be sending out emails to endusers that may have an interest in what I have? Now I know gmail is pretty strict about sending emails, so I can realistically only send 50 in a day.
So I have to make these emails count and straight to the point of what Im trying to do.

However over a period of time users are going to start reporting spam for my address. How can I stop my email address from going into the spam filter?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Thanks for all the suggestions,
You can either chip away at sale after sale with outbound or hold and wait for a good sale to come to you. The latter is more profitable and takes less work.
However imo you have to do more work to get to the stage of having to do less work. I know what youre saying that I should wait.

/QUOTE]
^^had to delete your post cos of links.
Good reads thanks.
But again what Im saying is a lot of the good names are gone. The one word names gone. So the way I look at it is, I just have to tweak a few things. IM not going to blast out 5000 emails and just hit and hope. I want to target genuine potential endusers.

Try to call instead of email :)
Yes, that goes without saying. But first an email as an intro instead of just a cold call, which might get no where, and also gives endusers time to do their own research in the time before a phonecall.

You have to find out how to be a salesman without being spammy.
Nobody will hand you this information, but if you do your research and A-B test what works eventually you will find the way.
True, nobody gives you anything, and you have to do it yourself, but I'm at the stage where I need to be a salemans and I do need to market a product.

Someone recently told me they had "privacy" on one of their names, I asked if they were seeking to sell the name ........ they said yes if someone contacts me ......ummmm~
As kate says, people find you when they want your name, however we do read of people being proactive, I suggest to just make sure the domain is a very good fit for whoever you email, for me I would include it in the title of the email, interested to read what others say about that?

Interesting, How can he sell if nobody knows about it.
I did that last week with my 6india/com domain. I put the name in the title and a carefully worded well written email. and contacted a few angel start up investors in India that I think would be interested in what I was selling. I sent individual emails to about 30 people. I got no replies, but according to godaddy whois I got 6 people looking at the 6india name.
Is that spamming or targeted marketing?

Interesting topic. I do believe a well written mail from a professional domain (not gmail) and a proper signature can go a long way in securing a sale.
Sigs, yes a requisite in every business email. If business emails dont have them I always think a little less of them. Says me....using gmail :laugh:

Yes I did make the mistake of buying quantity over quality, and since reading more here I bought a few one word decent .somethings which I have no problem keeping for a long time and I know that somebody will come looking for them.
But on the flip side I have lovefinds/com and lovefinds/me while these are not bad, I think I need to market them to endusers to let them know that I have them.

Last edited:
•••
Just to be sure, I hope you are not going to contact end users to sell domains you just registered ?

•••
•••
"Sigs, yes a requisite in every business email. If business emails dont have them I always think a little less of them. Says me....using gmail :laugh:"

I also use gmail, but the Business version. Just register a domain and point the mail servers to Gmail and pay Google business I think $5 per month. Done.
@Pierre Barnard ,
Hmm i think that is better option...

•••
Please read the Cann-Spam at that Bush passed. According to it, you must include certain info in your emails including name, address, and a way for people to unsubscribe.

Also, your email headers must be relevant... meaning... if your type an email header "Hi, this is your son"... and when they open it, it says "do you want to buy wineinabughugeglasswillmakeyoumillions.com, you can be fined. Each incident can cost you... big... in the thousands.

Do a google search and look into it before you make your decision.

•••
Never send the exact email twice
Don't send over 200 emails a hr
Don't send mail to emails that don't look correct.
Don't use gmail

•••
don't send offers from gmail. It's highly unprofessional. No serious buyer would ever read it.

I agree, use a professional email from a real domain name.

Gmail sucks for sending outbound email, and they always block your emails when you trip their very, very sensitive Spam filters.

•••
I've had some luck with outbound sales, but it's also sales. Like a real good conversion rate in sales (in general) is around 5%... so yeah, it's definitely not that efficient unless the ROI is high enough.

What I do is park it for a bit, generate traffic stats, gather other metrics and then send out a short but sweet pitch with some info about the domain. In my experience that's way more effective than "Hi, I notice you have a similar domain. Do you want this one too?"

Tracking the email helps as well. I use Streak for Gmail. It's free and you can see when and where the user opened up your email.

Also, about the domain email... if you have a hosting plan, they'll give you a domain email for free (for the unlimited amount of domains you put into it). Also Google Apps will give you one too for $5 I think, and then you can create "Alias" ones and not have to pay $5 for each domain.

I use my Bluehost account to create the email address and then forward it to my gmail...

•••
Ah, gotcha. Yes very true, but I'm not at that stage yet so for now gmail has to suffice. When I get a few sales under my belt, I intend to do something to rectify that problem
-------------
Bite the bullet and get a business gmail. It can't be very expensive...you'll give your domain selling a much better chance.

•••
Your email "From Address", "Content" and "Signature" are the most important things guys.

You are sending an unsolicited mail to someone, at least try to make a good impression and show the person that you are a professional and know your stuff. Those 3 things I mentioned above are the FIRST impressions a potential buyer will get of you and your business.

I wouldn't continue without at least having a Gmail Business account (using your OWN domain).

Spend the $10! If you dont have it, SAVE first!

•••
Don't use Gmail, use a real email like one off one of your domains.

Customize each email to the end user you're contacting, include their company name, contact name, etc. don't just copy and paste the same template.

That's really it. If you use gmail and send 50 emails a day with 1 template, you'll be marked spam in probably 2 days.

•••
I would liked the answer tothis question too.

•••
I had at the start of it, while in uk and ireland it was bebo, then bebo got sold out for something like 800m and Murdock/timewarner made a booboo of bebo and it went the way of the dodo.
I closed FB and havent used it since That was about 05/06. Ive only used it for work purposes since then.

Anyway back to the ethics of sending emails looking to sell domains. Do people find it acceptable. I know the guys that have been in the business for a long time will have no need to send as they probably have good names where people will come to them.
But for starting out, the little fish like us have to start somewhere.

•••
Thanks Pierre I 'll start looking into it more, cos yeah it does look bad.

@Kate Is that a bad idea?

•••
Looking for same answer and suggestions

•••
•••
I think I have fix my problem with my emails going to spam folders so here are a couple of tips for anyone emailing potential buyers and wondering if your emails are going into spam folders.

First off go to ipchicken.com - IPChicken and get your IP, this is the IP you are using through your ISP.
Then go to mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx - MXToolBox and check to see if your ISP's IP is blacklisted, there is a good chance it is since I found out many ISP's blacklist their own IP's. They do this so you upgrade to their business ISP.

If it is blacklisted you can try using luxsci.com - Luxsci to send through a clean IP. I am trying them and so far my emails that I was sending to my old AOL account that were going to spam are now fine.

When you send an email to an AOL account, in the message source they tag it either Disposition G for General or Disposition S for spam.
My mail was "S" and now they are "G"
AOL is just one way to check to see if your emails are spammy.

So I suggest first check your IP and then go from there.
:)

Just to add, I am using Thunderbird as my email client and so far it works well with Luxsci, just stay way from Webmail, I tried a couple of email clients in Webmail (Roundcube and Squirrel Mail) and my mail still went to spam.

•••
The thing is, not everybody can sell handregs through gmail. To find good handregs you need experience.
Domainers need to set the bar high enough for themselves. When people put the cart before the horse, we see the result: we get spam for atrocious handregs.

Also, it is very telling that domainers want to sell names to end users for $,$$$ but they would not buy a good domain on the aftermarket for themselves. So they don't even believe in their own sales pitch. How can you think like an end user without being one ?

The focus shouldn't be so much on contacting end users, but rather on acquiring good names so that the end users will be contacting you. If you do outbound, you have to make it worthwhile for all the parties involved.

•••
The thing is, not everybody can sell handregs through gmail. To find good handregs you need experience.
Domainers need to set the bar high enough for themselves. When people put the cart before the horse, we see the result: we get spam for atrocious handregs.

Also, it is very telling that domainers want to sell names to end users for $,$$$ but they would not buy a good domain on the aftermarket for themselves. So they don't even believe in their own sales pitch. How can you think like an end user without being one ?

The focus shouldn't be so much on contacting end users, but rather on acquiring good names so that the end users will be contacting you. If you do outbound, you have to make it worthwhile for all the parties involved.

The thing is you have to start somewhere in terms of having the funds to invest as well as learning about which names may a good acquisition. Learning to do outbounds can go a long way in teaching newbies about valuable domains and buying names for yourself.

Last edited:
•••
Try to call instead of email :)

However make sure you are gonna attract the company / person with a decent domain, otherwise you may end up to upset them.

•••
•••
Why do you think that soemone with a business and a domain name will want to buy your name?
What you need to find are the startups, and the new business planners. I suspect that the best way to get their attention is to host your name with a sales contact option, and to list your names at suitable venues like Name Pros. If you spam someone, then you risk getting blocked, and then you can never sell to them.

•••
if you use the contact form of your potential buyer's website, you will never go to the spam folder, because the contact form does not use mail service (or may be their own php mail)

•••
Why do you think that soemone with a business and a domain name will want to buy your name?
What you need to find are the startups, and the new business planners. I suspect that the best way to get their attention is to host your name with a sales contact option, and to list your names at suitable venues like Name Pros. If you spam someone, then you risk getting blocked, and then you can never sell to them.

Why do you think that a startup would be interested? Why does Toyota, Honda or anyone else who sells car thinks that anyone would be interested? If you've sold domains to startups using this method, I would really like to learn too. If not, then I suspect all this is just guessing too.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back