IT.COM

Contacting endusers email, How NOT to get flagged as spam.

NameSilo
Watch

John0

Established Member
Impact
As per title, Im going to be sending out emails to endusers that may have an interest in what I have? Now I know gmail is pretty strict about sending emails, so I can realistically only send 50 in a day.
So I have to make these emails count and straight to the point of what Im trying to do.

However over a period of time users are going to start reporting spam for my address. How can I stop my email address from going into the spam filter?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I would liked the answer tothis question too.

•••
•••
•••
Hi @golan can you clarify, I dont understand

Hi @biggie but if nobody sends email then there is no point in anybody holding on to any domains ever and then there would be no domain industry. catch 22.

Its a fine line to walk between spamming and sending emails that would be considered advantageous to the person receiving and to you.

Last edited:
•••
Hi @golan can you clarify, I dont understand
You don't send offers from gmail. It's highly unprofessional. No serious buyer would ever read it. You need email box on you own business domain.

•••
Ah, gotcha. Yes very true, but I'm not at that stage yet so for now gmail has to suffice. When I get a few sales under my belt, I intend to do something to rectify that problem

•••
Hi @biggie but if nobody sends email then there is no point in anybody holding on to any domains ever and then there would be no domain industry. catch 22.

the industry was not built by sending spam emails to purchase domain names, nor does it sustain it

imo....

•••
the industry was not built by sending spam emails to purchase domain names, nor does it sustain it
ok I dont know enough to talk about this industry, but Im fairly sure that people in the early days and now, send emails to prospective clients.
remember when facebook came on the scene, they'd send out masses of emails every day to everybody. would that be considered spam? Even though you signed up for a service, you didnt sign up to be notified 20 times a day.
Now, people want to be notified about every little detail that happens on facebook as its so ingrained in peoples psyche.

•••
i don't have a facebook account, it is not ingrained and i haven't been psyched

:)

•••
I had at the start of it, while in uk and ireland it was bebo, then bebo got sold out for something like 800m and Murdock/timewarner made a booboo of bebo and it went the way of the dodo.
I closed FB and havent used it since That was about 05/06. Ive only used it for work purposes since then.

Anyway back to the ethics of sending emails looking to sell domains. Do people find it acceptable. I know the guys that have been in the business for a long time will have no need to send as they probably have good names where people will come to them.
But for starting out, the little fish like us have to start somewhere.

•••

start with a domain name "that speaks for itself"

then, you won't have to do say a word :)

but i don't advise sending emails, because i don't know what the name is, nor do i know who you intend on contacting.

it's foolish to condone a practice in general, without knowing specifics.

imo.....

•••
You can either chip away at sale after sale with outbound or hold and wait for a good sale to come to you. The latter is more profitable and takes less work.

•••
It all starts with a good domain. If you own good names, end users will find you.

No offense, but all the domain spam we've seen always involves crap domains. I have seen just one exception.
How yours will be any different ?
PS: useful read: How to Find Potential End Users ?

•••
•••
You have to find out how to be a salesman without being spammy.

Nobody will hand you this information, but if you do your research and A-B test what works eventually you will find the way.

•••
Someone recently told me they had "privacy" on one of their names, I asked if they were seeking to sell the name ........ they said yes if someone contacts me ......ummmm
~
As kate says, people find you when they want your name, however we do read of people being proactive, I suggest to just make sure the domain is a very good fit for whoever you email, for me I would include it in the title of the email, interested to read what others say about that?

•••
Interesting topic. I do believe a well written mail from a professional domain (not gmail) and a proper signature can go a long way in securing a sale.

•••
Thanks for all the suggestions,
You can either chip away at sale after sale with outbound or hold and wait for a good sale to come to you. The latter is more profitable and takes less work.
However imo you have to do more work to get to the stage of having to do less work. I know what youre saying that I should wait.

/QUOTE]
^^had to delete your post cos of links.
Good reads thanks.
But again what Im saying is a lot of the good names are gone. The one word names gone. So the way I look at it is, I just have to tweak a few things. IM not going to blast out 5000 emails and just hit and hope. I want to target genuine potential endusers.

Try to call instead of email :)
Yes, that goes without saying. But first an email as an intro instead of just a cold call, which might get no where, and also gives endusers time to do their own research in the time before a phonecall.

You have to find out how to be a salesman without being spammy.
Nobody will hand you this information, but if you do your research and A-B test what works eventually you will find the way.
True, nobody gives you anything, and you have to do it yourself, but I'm at the stage where I need to be a salemans and I do need to market a product.

Someone recently told me they had "privacy" on one of their names, I asked if they were seeking to sell the name ........ they said yes if someone contacts me ......ummmm~
As kate says, people find you when they want your name, however we do read of people being proactive, I suggest to just make sure the domain is a very good fit for whoever you email, for me I would include it in the title of the email, interested to read what others say about that?

Interesting, How can he sell if nobody knows about it.
I did that last week with my 6india/com domain. I put the name in the title and a carefully worded well written email. and contacted a few angel start up investors in India that I think would be interested in what I was selling. I sent individual emails to about 30 people. I got no replies, but according to godaddy whois I got 6 people looking at the 6india name.
Is that spamming or targeted marketing?

Interesting topic. I do believe a well written mail from a professional domain (not gmail) and a proper signature can go a long way in securing a sale.
Sigs, yes a requisite in every business email. If business emails dont have them I always think a little less of them. Says me....using gmail :laugh:

Yes I did make the mistake of buying quantity over quality, and since reading more here I bought a few one word decent .somethings which I have no problem keeping for a long time and I know that somebody will come looking for them.
But on the flip side I have lovefinds/com and lovefinds/me while these are not bad, I think I need to market them to endusers to let them know that I have them.

Last edited:
•••
"Sigs, yes a requisite in every business email. If business emails dont have them I always think a little less of them. Says me....using gmail :laugh:"

I also use gmail, but the Business version. Just register a domain and point the mail servers to Gmail and pay Google business I think $5 per month. Done.

•••
Just to be sure, I hope you are not going to contact end users to sell domains you just registered ?

•••
Thanks Pierre I 'll start looking into it more, cos yeah it does look bad.

@Kate Is that a bad idea?

•••
•••
I haven't seen the domains, but domains that are handregged today are pretty much guaranteed to have no value. Domains that are unregistered are usually available for a reason: nobody would pick them for $10. Of course there are exceptions, for example drops. But you shouldn't assume such names will easily be flipped even for $$$.

Remember that if you blast bad names you will be wasting other people's time and yours. That is spamming...
The end users that you will be contacting most likely have a domain name already. So you have to offer something that makes sense to them. If you try to sell them useless/inferior domains, they will trash your mail.

•••
Looking for same answer and suggestions

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back