IT.COM

question Confused between .site, .xyz and .info

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

iecomguy

Established Member
Impact
Hey, I need to bulk register a couple of domains and I'm confused between .site, .xyz and .info.

Namecheap is currently giving .xyz for $0.99 a year. And Dynadot is giving .info and .site for $1.99 a year. Both offer free WHOIS as usual.

Now which domain to choose? It will be for Affiliate and CPA purpose.

Thanks in advance! :)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
IMO .info is best choice, it's most recognizable and used from that three.

•••
IMO .info is best choice, it's most recognizable and used from that three.
Current but I just found out that info is for information and xyz falls like under the "Anything" category. Is that right?

•••
Current but I just found out that info is for information and xyz falls like under the "Anything" category. Is that right?
Actually, they are all generic TLDs and can be used for any purpose. Between those 3 options, .info is the best by far. But why not use a .com, or at least .net?

•••
Actually, they are all generic TLDs and can be used for any purpose. Between those 3 options, .info is the best by far. But why not use a .com, or at least .net?
Costs a bit more mate. And I'm thinking to get multiple domains and those all will be for review site purpose, so .com will be a waste of money I think. Because nowadays we can rank any domain in google provided good optimizations are done, right? :)

•••
Yeah but are you thinking about renewals? It's not 99 cents a year forever.

•••
Costs a bit more mate. And I'm thinking to get multiple domains and those all will be for review site purpose, so .com will be a waste of money I think. Because nowadays we can rank any domain in google provided good optimizations are done, right? :)
Then I would choose .info, simply because it's been around for a long time and probably more safe from potential large registry fee increases. But keep in mind, all of these promo prices will only apply on the initial reg fees, so you will be at the mercy of the respective registries for future renewal costs. The new gtlds such as .site and .xyz are potentially more volatile in terms of price and lifespan.

•••
Yeah but are you thinking about renewals? It's not 99 cents a year forever.
Yeah thats not an issue coz I've 365 days for that. And I will defo transfer them to either porkbun or namesilo and will renew there or will renew at the register currently giving discounts at that time.

Then I would choose .info, simply because it's been around for a long time and probably more safe from potential large registry fee increases. But keep in mind, all of these promo prices will only apply on the initial reg fees, so you will be at the mercy of the respective registries for future renewal costs. The new gtlds such as .site and .xyz are potentially more volatile in terms of price and lifespan.
What do you mean by lifespan? Like they will get erased from everywhere? I am currently looking into .xyz

Last edited:
•••
By lifespan I just mean the stability of the registry. Some of the newer TLDs have already failed, and others almost certainly will in the future. I prefer to use registries with a proven track record and long history. Of course personally, I would never build anything on a gtld other than .com, .net , or .org.

Also, keep in mind that those special prices the registrars offer come and go like the wind. They are rarely ever applicable to transfers or renewals, and the registries actually control the normal pricing, not the registrars. Just don't want to be penny wise and pound foolish, as they say.

•••
By lifespan I just mean the stability of the registry. Some of the newer TLDs have already failed, and others almost certainly will in the future. I prefer to use registries with a proven track record and long history. Of course personally, I would never build anything on a gtld other than .com, .net , or .org.

Also, keep in mind that those special prices the registrars offer come and go like the wind. They are rarely ever applicable to transfers or renewals, and the registries actually control the normal pricing, not the registrars. Just don't want to be penny wise and pound foolish, as they say.
Alright, thanks for the info mate :)

•••
•••
You really should think about renewal rates that almost certainly are higher in .site than the other two. Xyz has slightly lower renewal than info but they are almost equal. Now and then they have promotions - I got 5 yr of .site at NC for $8.88 total (+ICANN fee) a couple months ago but don't know of any on now.

As others have said .info is much more recognized at least in North America and Europe, although .xyz is growing and has much better lack of abuse stats currently (which will surprise some readers I know)..

If you really are extension agnostic and looking for long term low costs the .review extension at NC is $5.58 + ICANN for the 5 yr total which is a great deal. You can even add 5 more at same rate. And it comes with free forever privacy.

Anyway good luck with what you choose!

•••

I had thought the only extensions that ceased were closed brand ones, but I could be wrong. Can someone add details. Anyway .site or .xyz or .info are long term secure in my opinion. I agree looking at long term costs important. See my other post re long term registrations.

Last edited:
•••
For PROmotion use .PRO
Now $0.99 at name.com
.PRO and .info = both are owned by Afilias.info
And both are legacy gTLDs... 2004 and 2001 accordingly.

•••
•••
Forget extension if I was buying for you I am more interested in the keywords your targeting. I then would find the best search terms for those keywords. Industry plays a big role in what extension you choose. Want advice on what only those options or just want sound advice?

•••
Back