IT.COM

discuss .com domain future

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

huwenbin

Established Member
Impact
What's your opinion about .com domain in future? More or less valuable?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
This is what people do not understand, the buyer decides the price, not the domainer.
That depends on the seller and what the domain name is.

Great names have a 1 to many relationship with buyers.

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
There will be no future for .coms or any other tlds if we all keep letting ICA/NN & Veri/sign do whatever they wish

•••
Here is my opinion
.com
Gap

.net
.org
.io
.ai
.com is the only extension where a non keyword domain stands a chance and it's not close.

•••
I see that the question was a little more specific than I offered an opinion on above, that is will .com domain names go up in value.

Here are my thoughts/opinions on that specifically:
  • The most desired single words in .com will continue to increase in value, some dramatically
  • I think less common single words (but not like crazy specialized medical terms, for example) will selectively increase in value - but only those where a business or organization use makes sense
  • I think there will not be much motion up or down on double, triple word names, outside of some trending sectors going way up, or some sectors no longer meaningful losing most value. Prices may well keep up with inflation or investment returns in other instruments, but I don't see a doubling or tripling in the next few years.
  • I think the price of brandable (by that I mean not all terms used as brands, but only the subset of made up words, creative spelling, blends, etc) will marginally increase, but just more or less at same rate as other business expenses.
  • I think match type names, particularly those for narrow areas, are tough to call, and the most dependent on the details of search. I don't see a lot of growth in value, but many will hold their value, and many others will not. Match names that are also great brands will be strong, though.
  • I think some longer names that define a category that is increasing in importance, even specialized, may increase. Some companies will want to have the authority to own the term for that niche.
  • I see more marketing tied to users going to a campaign-specific website may drive increased demand and higher prices for common and creative phrases.
  • I don't know numeric, alphanumeric, or 3L/4L markets well enough to offer an opinion. Same for place names and names in general.
  • I am surprised how much names with traffic/link history are going for wholesale these days. I don't know that component of the market enough to know if those will go up or down.
These are just my opinions, in most cases subject to my own biases and not based on detailed analysis.

Thanks for the question, @huwenbin.

Bob

•••
•••
It's going to continue to be worth a lot of value until more people move to specialized domains.

But .coms, .nets, and .orgs will likely always at least some inherent value just due to the fact that they aren't run by flimsy companies.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Everything Follows an algorythm an exact finite and infinite set of boundrys everything entered In .com Must Come out Somewhere Eventually

How long Can a Tree Grow Fruit be the root of what your asking and will the fruit be more valuable

So the answer be is how well you take care of .com

YEE YOU WE WHO BE TO YOURS

Last edited:
•••
.com will remain, maybe they start adapting to Web 3.0 somehow? That would be huge.

•••
its actually simple.. these silly question pops up 50 times a year..boring

the answer is... as long as we use domains then com will be on top

will we use dn forever. no.

until when? no one knows.

soon? most likely not.

next.

•••
•••
•••
Last edited:
•••
.Horse is the future. Anyone who doesn't agree is just in denial.

Web3 is lame. .Horse is Web4.

Brad
Maybe Horsecom.co.horse be the new wave

•••

Brad

Exactly. Web4 will be biblical. It's not like we weren't warned. Giddy up!

four-horsemen-of-the-apocolypse.jpg

•••
Last edited:
•••

Brad
The person holding Crypto.horse for 50k might agree with you

•••
Why is the a TLD in the GTLD topics
.com belongs elseware

•••
•••
This is a good article and I believe .com will continue to be king and based on trajectory will fetch even higher prices in 2022. I'm in the camp that companies are buying other extensions because they can't get/afford .com at the current moment, so they purchase a shorter name in another extension, until they can afford and switch over to .com

https://www.dnjournal.com/cover/2022/january.htm

Last edited:
•••
Back