Dynadot

discuss .com domain future

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

huwenbin

Established Member
Impact
What's your opinion about .com domain in future? More or less valuable?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
•••
•••
•••
What kind of a question is this?
Some people just have so much free time.
Junk names will not worth anything regardless of the extensions.

Last edited:
•••
People will forever say that .com will have value and will be the best no matter what, because people invested a lot of money in .com and do not want to lose it. It is a lottery.

The truth is that no one knows what will happen :) We are not God or Nostradamus or whoever someone wants to be.

•••
You don't need to be Nostradamus, God or Santa Claus. Relying on statistics of more than 25 years and on the evolution of the market is enough.
There is money in domaining. A lot of it. For big fish. It will not disappear with a snap of the finger because it would compromise their interests, plus, money moves and a lot of people and sectors are involved..
And .nonsense will never replace .com

Last edited:
•••
way more (for quality names)

•••
more, it's king for a reason.........all other tlds are just noise

•••
•••
US will be worth more than com because US is the Ultimate Solution !

•••
•••
.com aftermarket prices currently still at their highest prices ever

•••
Less

(Only wanted to say less because 100% of people said more, and they're absolutely right ...more)

Bit of a rhetorical question

Last edited:
•••
This market is volatile. There is nothing to bet on. The extension does not make a difference. You will find sales in other extensions with huge amounts of money. The buyer will determine that I believe that the extension of .company will have a big role, and do not forget that this extension is the king but Nothing stays the same, everything changes

•••
.COM has 30+ years and trillions of dollars in marketing behind it. It is going nowhere as the dominant extension.

Brad

•••
This market is volatile. There is nothing to bet on. The extension does not make a difference. You will find sales in other extensions with huge amounts of money. The buyer will determine that I believe that the extension of .company will have a big role, and do not forget that this extension is the king but Nothing stays the same, everything changes

This is what people do not understand, the buyer decides the price, not the domainer.

Last edited:
•••

Last edited:
•••
the only answer to the question, I am not saying it is the right answer, but at least other answers are complicating things, the OP asked a simple question

•••
People will forever say that .com will have value and will be the best no matter what, because people invested a lot of money in .com and do not want to lose it. It is a lottery.

The truth is that no one knows what will happen :) We are not God or Nostradamus or whoever someone wants to be.

everyone one know that:
"The truth is that no one knows what will happen"
the op is just asking your opinion, like your prediction based on history, current market and its direction...etc

•••
•••
What kind of a question is this?
Some people just have so much free time.
Junk names will not worth anything regardless of the extensions.

am sure everyone agrees "Junk names will not worth anything regardless of the extensions" but this does not answer the simple question
OP question is good and clear, and from your long experience with domaining you may have some opinion about the prices. For example a domain like peach dot com. would you be able to sell that domain name higher than what you would have sold it for 5 years ago? I know it is not 1,2,3 but there must be general sentiment and valuation based on data and sales transaction through the years.
now the question may make more sense. Let's not complicate it.

•••
So, ok, coms going up generally; there are only so many 1 word domains, even taking into account the extension of the language over time, but, is "NewsToday.com" (its undeveloped, and not mine!) better / more likely to get traffic than "News.today" (ditto); or "GreenLaneDesign.com" compared to "GreenLane.design"?
My guess is that over time the sheer cost of excellent 1 or 2 word .coms will get a lot of businesses using across the dot type names, or just going for the .net or .online or site or similar, and this will act as a break on com prices.

•••
The position of .com is so dominant, I don't see that changing dramatically anytime soon. It has about half the world's web traffic, and a much higher percentage of dollar volume of aftermarket domain sales.

That is not to say that there is not room for other extensions. Some of those extensions have done well of late because of the desire for single word domains and the dwindling supply of quality single word com.

I think whether the decentralized naming system becomes mainstream is the biggest possible storm cloud on the mid to long term horizon.

Google search is so dominant, anything they decide regarding names and sites will be critical.

Bob

•••
Back