Dynadot

Coffee.club reportedly sells for $100,000 at T.R.A.F.F.I.C.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hmm, theres not even a WHOIS profile for that domain.

•••
Must have been a registry sale I would imagine, premium reserve, I am sure this will be scrutinized as it should. Like I said news came out late, Larry tweeted after midnight.

•••
Time to face reality, no value bashers.. :)

•••
It looks like a BS sale. :traffic lost credibility IMO

•••
•••
•••
Coffee Club is a pretty big franchise in Australia, sort of like Starbucks. Maybe they were the buyer?

•••
•••
Yeah since when did .mobi become .club for a company like this.

However no one knows if this is a fake sale or not since there is no WHOIS profile for this domain yet.
I know that coffeeclub.com.au is a franchise and you seem adamant that they acquired this domain. However, there are some important things missing from this $100,000 transaction that make it suspicious (in the sense that it's not them, or anyone):
  • Whois data
  • Proper DNS that resolves or signifies that it is them
  • Confirmation that Coffee Club bought this domain
Let's just pick a random ICANN delegated string that is a brand already. There is dotWilliamHill. That string is 11 characters long. CoffeeClub is 10 characters long.

An application for a nTLD is $185,000.

Why would Coffee Club buy this domain for $100,000, when they could have dished out another $85,000 and had as many domains as they wanted? www.coffeeclub, coupons.coffeeclub, specials.cofffeeclub, menu.coffeeclub, franchise.coffeeclub, about.coffeeclub, etc.

And reverting back to your question of when a .mobi became a .club for a company like Coffee Club: when 1-800-Flowers actually bought flowers.mobi for $5,000, it was recorded and it resolves to 1800flowers.com... so I would say, about 2 1/2 years ago.

•••
Let me guess, yet another "sale" tied to the registry?

There are over 100K .CLUB regs and how many reported sales have not been registry owned or reserved?

It is so amazing that these registries seem to have no problem unloading these domains for high prices, yet domainers can't seem to duplicate it.

Brad

•••
I know that coffeeclub.com.au is a franchise and you seem adamant that they acquired this domain. However, there are some important things missing from this $100,000 transaction that make it suspicious (in the sense that it's not them, or anyone):
  • Whois data
  • Proper DNS that resolves or signifies that it is them
  • Confirmation that Coffee Club bought this domain
Let's just pick a random ICANN delegated string that is a brand already. There is dotWilliamHill. That string is 11 characters long. CoffeeClub is 10 characters long.

Why would Coffee Club buy this domain for $100,000, when they could have dished out another $85,000 and had as many domains as they wanted? www.coffeeclub, coupons.coffeeclub, specials.cofffeeclub, menu.coffeeclub, franchise.coffeeclub, about.coffeeclub, etc.

And reverting back to your question of when a .mobi became a .club for a company like Coffee Club: when 1-800-Flowers actually bought flowers.mobi for $5,000, it was recorded and it resolves to 1800flowers.com... so I would say, about 2 1/2 years ago.

It was just an example of a company but it would make sense if so. Coffee.club is still better than those you listed, quantity not always better than quality ;) Taking SEO into account you want coffe.club/specials.

.mobi is still a failed project regardless of how good and bad sales people did with it or do your smartphone have a .mobi button?

But yeah I agree with you on the scepticism, and this applies to all reported sales. No whois data/whois change, the "sale" can't be considered to be complete. Baltic.cruises were an actual sale whois data tells us that, this don't at least yet.

•••
•••
Let me guess, yet another "sale" tied to the registry?

There are over 100K .CLUB regs and how many reported sales have not been registry owned or reserved?

It is so amazing that these registries seem to have no problem unloading these domains for high prices, yet domainers can't seem to duplicate it.

Brad
Now now Brad, you know all the registries are open and above board! Cough,cough!

•••
£10 would be the absolute maximum to pay for that domain imo

•••
Larry Fischer who was the one who tweeted the sale, left a comment on my blog.

Thanks Frank. Coffee.Club was purchased by the owner of Coffee.org, Bill McClure.

•••

Thanks Frank. Coffee.Club was purchased by the owner of Coffee.org, Bill McClure.

Must have something in mind for it.

A LOT of money!

•••

Just waiting for that whois change then, spending that much they sure must develope it considering they sell coffee.

•••
I posted a comment with some details around this sale earlier. The $100,000 dollar name was part of our StartUp.club which includes marketing, PR, and Lease-to-buy option - 10 easy payments over 10 years. We would rather the entrepreneur have cash to support their business to ensure success pay the full amount upfront.

The reality is that .CLUB had to raise 8.1 million to win the name in an auction pay for legal and marketing costs on the launch. It has been one of the most successful new domain extensions to launch. And we remain absolutely focused on getting great usage and supporting our partners.

Colin

•••
•••
I posted a comment with some details around this sale earlier. The $100,000 dollar name was part of our StartUp.club which includes marketing, PR, and Lease-to-buy option - 10 easy payments over 10 years. We would rather the entrepreneur have cash to support their business to ensure success pay the full amount upfront.

The reality is that .CLUB had to raise 8.1 million to win the name in an auction pay for legal and marketing costs on the launch. It has been one of the most successful new domain extensions to launch. And we remain absolutely focused on getting great usage and supporting our partners.

Colin

Colin

Colin

So you are offering this service and 10 year payment option to all .club purchasers?

•••

I'm a noob but my thoughts regarding this are;

Why would anyone buy a .com for six figures if they could just buy a gTLD extension for 185,000$. it's simple there is much more involved to owning a gTLD than spending 185,000$.... I'm surprised you even asked this question. From what i am seeing these extensions are costing alot more than 185,000$.

•••
I'm a noob but my thoughts regarding this are;

Why would anyone buy a .com for six figures if they could just buy a gTLD extension for 185,000$. it's simple there is much more involved to owning a gTLD than spending 185,000$.... I'm surprised you even asked this question. From what i am seeing these extensions are costing alot more than 185,000$.
Much more goes into the application than just the fee.

If you wanted .abc, someone else .abc and you both paid 185k... who gets it? Highest bidder.

dotBuy for $4.6m and dotTech for $6.8m

Edit: sorry, I read your question wrong as it pertained to a .com and not to a .brand (like .audi and potentially .coffeeclub).

They could have applied for it, but the buyer and deal is already out.

Last edited:
•••
Wow such a great sale happened!!

•••
I don't think there is a .coffee TLD :)
The bad thing in new gTLDs is that you have to promote the gTLD itself in the same time you promote your site so people don't get confused in typing/accessing the website and the new gTLDs are really confusing for random internet users.
So giving $100k for a domain like coffee.club when the buyer already owns a domain like cofee.org isn't smart at all.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back