Dynadot

Autism.rocks sold for 100,000 at SEDO.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Fancy.domains

Top Member
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I for one think it's hard to argue this is not a moral dilemma. If you don't see a moral dilemma then that says something in itself.

I aim to steer clear of any domain that even hints at being NFP (not-for-profit), that way I don't have to wrestle with the decisions if/when offers come in. Who knows how I would really act in the face of a big money offer.

On the flip side there are plenty of stories of highly prized domains being donated, which is always good to see.

I wouldn't be surprised if this sale gets some international press exploring the dilemma.

•••
not necessarily related but a lot of charities are for profit scams which waste most of the donations and/or use them to pay themselves.

It is just that the perception of the public is that a charity can never do any wrong.

Not saying that this is the case here.

•••
not necessarily related but a lot of charities are for profit scams which waste most of the donations and/or use them to pay themselves.

It is just that the perception of the public that a charity can never do any wrong.

Not saying that this is the case here.

Most non-profits have paid positions. I don't see anything wrong with that personally.

•••
I for one think it's hard to argue this is not a moral dilemma. If you don't see a moral dilemma then that says something in itself.

I aim to steer clear of any domain that even hints at being NFP (not-for-profit), that way I don't have to wrestle with the decisions if/when offers come in. Who knows how I would really act in the face of a big money offer.

On the flip side there are plenty of stories of highly prized domains being donated, which is always good to see.

I wouldn't be surprised if this sale gets some international press exploring the dilemma.
This is a unique sale. The buyer is a rich guy who has a kid with autism. The seller is a not rich guy who has a son with autism. Both run autism charities. Basically this sale was a gift from the buyer to seller to help with his son. A domainer would not of made this sale.

•••
This is a unique sale. The buyer is a rich guy who has a kid with autism. The seller is a not rich guy who has a son with autism. Both run autism charities. Basically this sale was a gift from the buyer to seller to help with his son. A domainer would not of made this sale.
So it was a fair deal both ways.

I have no problem selling virtual real estate to anybody that wants/needs it. I wouldn't give them a building for free so they could run operations.

•••

Just to add to what @dordomai mentioned regarding the sincerity of charities...

I have worked for a large international charity which I won't name and I can confirm the above happens...for example...they use charity money, which people think are going to the homeless, child support, 3rd world countries etc to actually to pay for company cars and company houses and other expenses. Some staff members are actually entitled to 2 fully paid for properties. These are not small cars or properties either. The offices for this charity were very nice.

Just because a company is labelled as not-for-profit do...does not mean they give themselves tiny salaries or even work for free..

I also notice a lot of institutional racism while I was working there.

P.S. I'm not saying all companies are like this. This is just what I experienced and saw within this world renowned charity.

Last edited:
•••
One other thing I would point out is that there are often legitimate for profit businesses that have some connection to a disease. Should a doctor who treats patients with autism or an attorney who represents the rights of persons with autism be accorded the same "deal" that is suggested for charities when it comes to buying a domain? I suspect that many domainers would sell a domain with the word "mesothelioma" to a lawyer for whatever they could get for it without hesitation. What if both a charity and a lawyer expressed an interest in the same domain? Would you give it to the charity when a lawyer was ready to pay a high price?

•••
Totally fake sale, and all the blogs fell for it, hook, line, and sinker.

Bwahahahahhahahaha.

It was a donation, and the seller got caught when Sedo charged him $12,000 commission. It was only then that the donation part came out, when he tried to get Sedo to return part of the commission.

I have no qualms about selling "charity" domains. Some of those charities are dodgy and spend most of the donated money on "administrative" stuff (translation: themselves).

I never donate until I check charitynavigator.org, to see how charities spend their money and how much goes to their cause. You'd be surprised... Wounded Warrior gets a low grade... Just because they advertise doesn't mean they spend their donations wisely.

Make no mistake: non-profits are BIG BUSINESS, tax dodges for the rich.

•••
...I have no qualms about selling "charity" domains. Some of those charities are dodgy and spend most of the donated money on "administrative" stuff (translation: themselves)....

Make no mistake: many non-profits are really just BUSINESSES! tax dodges for the rich

There you go Ms D, fixed it for you!

•••
Ultimately the term 'moral' is completely subjective; there isn't a right or wrong. The line we each draw for what domains we do or do not trade is equally ambiguous. Regardless of the terms of this particular sale, it's always interesting to see other perspectives.

I don't think the inner workings of charitable organisations is in question. People inside these organisations may exploit them, and people outside may exploit them. Again a moral dilemma. If we didn't at least try to support them, nothing would change.

•••
•••
It didn't need fixing because it's true!

I'm with you! I just tried to make it a little truer.... i.e. that they are there to take in money and compensate those at the top.

Maybe I should have stated, "MOST non-profits are really...."

Last edited:
•••
I'm with you! I just tried to make it a little truer....

Maybe I should have stated, "MOST non-profits are really...."

Good point!

•••
:P
hey all u libtards.....

autism = huge profits for big pharma but i dont see anyone saying theres a moral issue with them being involved (even tho they created it btw)

just because some dumbainer owns it and sells it has nothing to do with MORALITY it has to do with CAPITALISM period!

if big pharma makes billions whats the moral issue for some dude making a pitance in comparison??

•••
I see a lot of insightful comments in this thread. Thanks for that everyone.

•••
if big pharma makes billions whats the moral issue for some dude making a pitance in comparison??

it seems that domainers do actually have a conscience. I doubt that someone renting or selling real estate to a charity would ever ask themselves if it was ethical to do so and if they should give it to them for free or at a reduced price.

•••
Everyone has his own thinking and we can restrict them neither they are liable to answer any if they don't want to!

Anyways great .rocks sale!

•••
It is being reported that the buyer opened with an offer of $100,000, the seller is not a domain investor, and the seller has his own autism interests.

It certainly is an odd sale. The buyer owns autismrocks.com and reportedly bought that for about $10,000. So it does seem strange that buyer would open with an offer of 10 times what he bought autismrocks.com for. The only thing that would make sense to me is that the wealthy buyer wanted the .rocks domain and at the same wanted to support the seller with his own autism venture, a semi-donation of sorts.

•••
•••
It is not surprising that the buyer of the domain name autism.rocks appears to be of Indian origin, as many Indians who invest in domain names or are webmasters are falsely accused of being autistic, without considering the difference in lifestyle in the countries. The problem is particularly severe for .com domain investors who are not aware of the dangers of investing in .com domain names. Indian .com investors are under surveillance without a court order, for more than 5 years denying their fundamental right to privacy.

After realizing the problem, most of the real .com domain investors in India are liquidating their .com portfolio as fast as they can, and preferring to invest in other tlds where they are not harassed just for investing their hard earned money in the domain names. Some of the most famous indian domain investors are investing in .biz domain names instead of .com

•••
its all about 1 thing dumbainers:

MONEY$$$$$$$ PERIOD END OF CONVERSATION THATS ALL FOLKS NOW MOVE ON!

autism racism feminism capitalism corporatism altruism whatever the ism is, in the end comes down to who gains and who doesnt ........

------------------------------
not sure what this actually means?? sounds like a libtard respense to me

'it seems that domainers do actually have a conscience. I doubt that someone renting or selling real estate to a charity would ever ask themselves if it was ethical to do so and if they should give it to them for free or at a reduced price."

•••
You got disliked because name callers are immature and not credible.

•••

why thank u ms dumbainer!

now i can move on knowing your feelings r out n the open

yes im immature 2, oops i mean 4 no thats 6​

•••

why thank u ms dumbainer!

now i can move on knowing your feelings r out n the open

yes im immature 2, oops i mean 4 no thats 6​

You're very welcome.

Well deserved, too!

Your tone DOES say a lot about you.

Now go back to your sandbox and play.

•••
:xf.grin::P:xf.cool:

jeez i may just have autism due to my tone and dimeanor!

thats Fuzztone if u please!

playtime over now...aw schucks

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back