Dynadot

Coffee.club reportedly sells for $100,000 at T.R.A.F.F.I.C.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I have no idea where .club will go, but that flowers.mobi sale caused a lot of controversy and speculation and even bad feeling at the time. I don't claim to know what the truth was, but on blogs and forums it was being said that behind the scenes the full price would not be paid. Rick Schwartz went so far as to defend his purchase, with the strange logic of saying he was willing to pay that much because there were other bidders in the room on the day who clearly valued the domain highly.

I am not sure everyone lost as the initial high auction prices for .mobi fueled the speculative bubble. Everyone wants to avoid the "empty restaurant" syndrome and make their new place look busy and attractive. Several years later the .mobi registry was found to be seriously misleading domainer "investors" to maintain sales and renewals.

There is nothing stopping a registry arranging very convenient or flexible payment terms - they can sell me ganja.scam for $1m with a ten year loan and renegotiate the loan after ten years when I have not paid, meanwhile people want to pay $1.5m for weed.scam.

So I am skeptical about some reported prices, nothing new there.

Thank you for taking the time to share your insight on that. I suspect history will repeat itself. "Same script, different cast," as I like to say.

•••
The .mobi extension never made sense because there aren't any businesses that want to exclude desktop visitors. You can easily make your .com/.net/.org responsive or use a sub domain instead of getting a .mobi. So there was never a market for .mobi. It was just a bad idea. Same for .biz. Only your local amway salesman will think .biz sounds professional.

The best new gtlds like .club have a wide application, make perfect sense when you see it and bring additional meaning to the left side. The .com monopoly on quality is over.

Big congratulations to the .club team on the sale of coffee.club. It's a world class domain and the buyer got a great deal.

•••
The best new gtlds like .club have a wide application

Thats absurd propaganda nonsense. Nothing about .CLUB sounds professional.

There are maybe 50 big businesses in the world that would want to be a "CLUB". i.e. coffee club, steak of the month club, book club, chess club, makeup club; thats it.

Coffee is one of them , and lol (excuse me while I laugh) they sold Coffee [dot] club for a $10k per year payment plan.

$10k per year and announcing it's $100k; that's barely even a sale, its more like a promotion for the .CLUB brand. If I told my wife I sold a name fore $100k and it's over 10 years at $10k a year she might punch me in the face.

In addition, most companies and businesses would NOT want to be considered a CLUB.

Think clubhouse... thats what this extension screams outside of the aforementioned 50 possibilities.

Even worse... "The best new gtlds" pinhole themselves to being niche specific and about one single thing, and the generic ones like .XYZ have blatantly inflated their numbers through some very despicable practices.

During its launch .MOBI actually makes much more sense than .CLUB because it applies to the entire mobile landscape and its generic.

Sorry, but this is just more nonsense.

•••
I am very happy to as you say "pigeon hole" myself into .company, .services, .consulting, type names.

gTLDs will be golden down the road.

I think it is moronic to relate new gTLDs to .mobi as the haters LOVE to do.

I'll also add that I believe the coffee.club is a very good deal for both parties on the marketing end.

Last edited:
•••
Your right, .club is the best new ext; buy as much as you can.

•••
•••
I think it is moronic to relate new gTLDs to .mobi as the haters LOVE to do.
Mobi was actually better in it's day than the new gtlds are now. It had less competition, lots of BIG backers, loads of interest, and huge sales in the early years.

These new tlds are doomed. Yes we'll see a rare good sale like coffee.club but that means zero overall.

•••
Mobi was actually better in it's day than the new gtlds are now. It had less competition, lots of BIG backers, loads of interest, and huge sales in the early years.

These new tlds are doomed. Yes we'll see a rare good sale like coffee.club but that means zero overall.

ha, we'll see, funny how i get more interest on my gTLD's than .coms....

and the gTLDs i have which i also have the matching dot com get more uniques than the .com.

•••

and the gTLDs i have which i also have the matching dot com get more uniques than the .com.
2 things...
1. Curiosity on new tlds doesn't equal sales. How many new tlds have you sold?
2. Bots...

•••
2 things...
1. Curiosity on new tlds doesn't equal sales. How many new tlds have you sold?
2. Bots...

bots send offers?

•••

I'm making a hall of fame of new gTLD haters, yours deserves a place too ;)

But in all seriousness, i bet in a few years like 5 years or even less you'll see some of these .com-extremists say, as some one here also worded, something like:

"well, i didn't know ..."
"with the info we have now ..."
"back then it was new ..."
"different times, now we have ..."
"no one can predict the future so i ..."
"they brainwashed me so .."
"how can anyone expect ..."
"yeah, just pure luck ..."
"what ? I never said ..."
"i didn't mean it like ..."
"sooner or later everything sells so ..."
"blame X or Y i just thought ..."
"i was mentally ill so ..."
"that was my cousin who posted ..."
"luckily i bought a few too while ..."
"but sales didn't show ..."
"they lied to me !"

:)

PS: If we see no major changes 5 years from now i will apologize :)

Last edited:
•••
bots send offers?
That's my question. How many new tlds have you sold? You're saying it's different than .mobi but that isn't proven so. Mobi had many 6 figure and 5 figure sales in the initial phase. How are these new tlds different?

And I just read Loupe's post. That's what gets said every go around..."just wait a few years and the commies will see". The problem is that outlook is consistently proven wrong.

•••
•••

probably because you own poor handreg .com's and the offers you are getting are from other domainers going for the hype. don't get me wrong some 'word combo's will have value but most will never sell and be dropped eventually.

•••
•••
Why should I tell you what im getting offers on or selling?

Keep living in denial, the fact is the new gtlds are here to stay. So you either like em or hate them, you obviously hate them, I obviously like them. We can agree to disagree. :)

Don't forget I made a thread for the haters,

https://www.namepros.com/threads/the-official-i-hate-gtlds-thread.819876/
I'm not asking for specific names and numbers. Your defensive posture speaks volumes and per your claim that "gtlds are here to stay", where's the proof? But you yourself called them "new" so I'll let you ponder over your position!

•••
sigh..., we both have have this debate before, not worth my time...

•••
sigh..., we both have have this debate before, not worth my time...
I hear you but let's not post as if things are facts when no info backs it up. If something is new, as all these tlds are, no claim to their worthiness can be made!

•••
For public consumption....or its means coffee club dot com is worth $1 billion.

•••
this is the registrys way of getting people to buy .club, making false purchases to themselves.

•••
I have a number of new gtlds of different extensions and fairly good keywords.

To date there has been zero interest even with exposure via Sedo auctions.

A long way to go!

•••
I hear you but let's not post as if things are facts when no info backs it up. If something is new, as all these tlds are, no claim to their worthiness can be made!

We'll know facts in a few years when there is a large enough sample size to be significant. Now, we know companies such as Google and Amazon are planning to get involved. We know there are plans for a round 2 in a few years. We know many large companies have paid the money to secure thier .whatever this time around.

I think the gTLDs will be around in 10 years.

I don't like all the new extensions but i think there are many good two word combos available. Any whatever.whatever will be the shortest combo for those two words in the digital world ever! no .org at the end no .biz, .xyz, .com, cctld etc it will always be those two words.

eg.
taxi.cabs

The possibilities are great because the dot separates the words making it easier to read. If you ever wanted a sub domain you could do;

detroit.taxi.cabs
newyork.taxi.cabs

wow how easy is that to read over

detroittaxicabs.com
newyorktaxicabs.com

You'll notice it takes way less time to focus and remember the gtld than the .com version which i think makes the gTLD a better marketing tool.

.com has the guarenteed traffic at this point so of course it is king. But i think the keyword combo upper values will shift to gTLD's

.com will always be the top dog for brand names.

me personnaly if i had a business i would want my ccTLD, gTLD, and .com. I think gtlds make for better emails than cctld or .com

I spoke to a person who was super proud of getting the main two word keyword combo gTLD for thier industry they even made t-Shirts to promote thier new gTLD web extension at a conference.

The switch will take time, it's the old "if you build it they will come". Over time the youth who want web pages will not be able to get thier fave .com so they will get marbles.club, painting.cars, lemonaid.sale, videogame.solutions and as they age they will be acustom to the different extensions. I'm talking over 20yrs here.

I think the big issue and why there is fight back is because there is so much money / time invested in .com based on the premises that it will always be number one. The ol sales pitch has always been .com is number one this is why you pay X amount.

Before, when a few extensions came out at a time it was easy to isolate them in a sense and bash them .name, .biz, .info, .pro to make them seem irrelevant. Now it is a gtld Tsunami and it is impossible to stop so many extension from being known to the general public. Esspecially there now being so many combos that many people will get decent combos which are important to them.

So we have a aging old school domainer base with the dollars and influence who will fight to keep the value of thier portfolios up for as long as possible. To do this they must be on the one side of the room yelling bloody murder. But i think it is essential for this to occur. If there wasn't contrast the whole market would collapse if all of a sudden everyone went rainbows and butterflys over gTLD's.

I am unbiased because i am a newbie and i got gTLD's, .coms and ccTLDs in my first year domaining. But i think if i had some beauties from back in the 90's kicking around i wouldn't like seeing a matching single word .club, .web, .services out there.

From what I saw, it was hard to get a few of the gTLDs I picked up, I had to duke it out in auction to get a few. There are multiple people who are trying to get names. This i believe is for a reason, because others see value also.

This whole coffee.club deal is a great marketing opertunity for both parties imo. Very easy to break everything down to see the positives.

I understand not all registries are playing the same game, some holding back names, some raising prices after the fact, some taking back names after the fact, over pricing etc. This is counter productive imo and only hurts the gTLD progression bitting the hand that feeds the domain industry "the domainers". But this topic is a much more complex topic than i have knowledge of, but am aware from reading the more experienced domainers comments.

I'm sure the pros will rip apart what i think but it is what it is, I see value in new gTLD's.

just my 0.02$

Last edited:
•••
she might punch me in the face.

I bet that happens quite alot.

I've heard coffee can be an effective treatment for facial bruising. Perhaps you should consider signing up on coffee.club.

When she finds out you were on the wrong side of gtld history, you're going to need the premium plan..

•••
A registry needs to have a certain number of registrations to cover its costs every year, or else it has to go bust, get further investment from the backers, or be sold - or given away - to another registry.

So a registry needs to develop volume, and keep the renewals and new registrations happening.

Have a look at this http://www.hosterstats.com/DomainNameCounts2014.php
You can see .tel, .asia, .mobi registrations falling sharply this year. .Info is falling, .com and .eu are up.

So what floor level of registrations does .club need to remain solvent?

•••
A registry needs to have a certain number of registrations to cover its costs every year, or else it has to go bust, get further investment from the backers, or be sold - or given away - to another registry.

So a registry needs to develop volume, and keep the renewals and new registrations happening.

Have a look at this http://www.hosterstats.com/DomainNameCounts2014.php
You can see .tel, .asia, .mobi registrations falling sharply this year. .Info is falling, .com and .eu are up.

So what floor level of registrations does .club need to remain solvent?

.club 3) is probably the real top of the new gtlds for registrations with .xyz 1) ,.berlin 2), .realtor 4) based on giveaways.

It is looking precarious already for about 95% of the new gtlds.
What happens to the "end user" who has based their business on a new gtld that in most cases is unlikely to be around in a couple of years.

And .club is one of the better ones, along with perhaps .NYC?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back