Dynadot

Coffee.club reportedly sells for $100,000 at T.R.A.F.F.I.C.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Time to face reality, no value bashers.. :)

Load up on those .CLUB domains my friend! ;)

Never know, they do say history repeats itself...
http://domaingang.com/domain-news/anunt-confirms-sale-of-flowers-mobi-to-1800flowers/
...not specifically singling one person out as history is repeated by others...

Thanks for the article David. I saw the mention of the .mobi sale from 07, but this is an interesting read.

So Rick Schwartz made a heavy investment for the name and bought it for $200k... then selling it for a major loss to Anunt Patel for $6500... when then sold it to 1800Flowers for $5k.

So basically everyone lost in that investment.

It will be interesting to see where Coffee [dot] club ends up. Either directly at a brand, or to another investor as in this Flowers [dot] mobi deal.

The 10k per year payment plan on it is interesting though. If it is an investor it may turn out that three years in they will default and possession will go back to the registry.

So in the end... this isn't much of a sale and is the same speculation in a new extension that has happened before.

•••
•••
Main site on Coffee.org (which makes no sense for business imho)....now they added coffee.club but they don't own coffee.com and there's about zero branding they can do that is worthwhile on coffee.org.. which is ok because....

they brand as Miss Ellies....

And they own Miss Ellie and Miss Ellies.com too. Looks like their FB site probably drives a significant amount of traffic but it's using that weak coffee.org (ugh)

My recommendation to Mr Bill McClure is simple - take any $100,000 you have and invest it in a site that doesn't look like a domainer hacked it up together as some kind of coffee affiliate site. His recommendation to me would probably be to point out that he can afford to spend $100,000 on a .club and I can't/won't :)

On the bright side - I tried their Keurig coffee and for the price it wasn't bad.

And, there's a T.R.A.F.F.I.C going on?

•••
Friend? Please spare me with your forum baiting, it gets old.

Don't you think your investments in .CLUB are pretty weak?

Last edited:
•••
Agreed. Go get yourself off on someone else...

•••
•••
why would coffee.club make sense for business?

•••
•••
why would coffee.club make sense for business?

Better yet why would it not IYO? It's a business decision, I'm sure they have a plan.

If you'd like to express your reasons for why it doesn't make sense or will never work post them. :)

•••
Last edited:
•••
Posts were removed within this thread between VP and myself JSYN. It's been cropped leaving out were VP calls him/her a master baiter etc.. And where I ask for him/her to stop baiting me.

Come on is VP an admin or whats going on? VP can get his/her and my posts removed within seconds, go figure... :)

Last edited:
•••
I don't think there is a .coffee TLD :)
The bad thing in new gTLDs is that you have to promote the gTLD itself in the same time you promote your site so people don't get confused in typing/accessing the website and the new gTLDs are really confusing for random internet users.
So giving $100k for a domain like coffee.club when the buyer already owns a domain like cofee.org isn't smart at all.

http://ntldstats.com/tld/coffee

•••
Posts were removed within this thread between VP and myself JSYN. It's been cropped leaving out were VP calls him/her a master baiter etc.. And where I ask for him/her to stop baiting me.

Come on is VP an admin or whats going on? VP can get his/her and my posts removed within seconds, go figure... :)

I can't remove posts mate, nor am I am admin of any kind. Just to clear that up.
Please relax and lets keep this professional mate; just because you have a wrong opinion does not mean you need to make it personal.

Cheers.

•••
I am not sure why people compare the new gTLD's to .mobi? Most of the new gTLD's are better than .mobi in my opinion because they are actually descriptive. .club, .coffee, .company, .today, .services etc. After all what is a .mobi? Owning a .mobile sounds better to me than a .mobi. Although it will take a bit for everyone to catch on and adapt to the new GTLD's I believe the ones that survive and don't go under will be well worth owning. Just a thought.

•••
I am not sure why people compare the new gTLD's to .mobi? Most of the new gTLD's are better than .mobi in my opinion because they are actually descriptive. .club, .coffee, .company, .today, .services etc. After all what is a .mobi? Owning a .mobile sounds better to me than a .mobi. Although it will take a bit for everyone to catch on and adapt to the new GTLD's I believe the ones that survive and don't go under will be well worth owning. Just a thought.

Because they would do anything to defend their .com's. .mobi is a failed project nothing more, thanks to the smartphones. It's more relevant putting in to context the likes of .pro and maybe .info.

•••
I don't think there is a .coffee TLD :)
The bad thing in new gTLDs is that you have to promote the gTLD itself in the same time you promote your site so people don't get confused in typing/accessing the website and the new gTLDs are really confusing for random internet users.
So giving $100k for a domain like coffee.club when the buyer already owns a domain like cofee.org isn't smart at all.

Agreed!!!

•••
its not the extension itself that people are making the comparison with but the situation, as in the initial hype, the domainer regs, the end users who were going to make everyone aware, the "big" sales that happened all for it to amount to nothing. while i don't think it will play out exactly the same this time around, i do think very, very few people who are buying these new gtlds will make any money. its not a good investment at this point. will it be at some point? maybe but i wouldn't hold my breath.

coffeeclub.com just went up in value i guess. i bet the domainer who owns that is happy. they probably would of sold it for half the price or less.

•••
Because they would do anything to defend their .com's. .mobi is a failed project nothing more, thanks to the smartphones. It's more relevant putting in to context the likes of .pro and maybe .info.

.mobi is a failed project that has so many parallels to this ngtld fiasco.

There isn't a single business out there that wouldn't want their matching .com. .coms don't need anyone to defend them.

You have to think about all of this from a business standpoint, and understand that most registries and most ICANN associated businesses are investors in .COM.

They arent trying to devalue the .COM, they are trying to inflate the prices by saturating the market with junk. All while making a tidy profit in the process.

None of this is about what is good or bad, or a 'need' for more names; thats small minded. It's about making more money through tld applications and defensive registrations.

Do you honestly think multi-billion dollar companies would want to devalue their prime assets, or allow it to happen?

•••
its not the extension itself that people are making the comparison with but the situation, as in the initial hype, the domainer regs, the end users who were going to make everyone aware, the "big" sales that happened all for it to amount to nothing. while i don't think it will play out exactly the same this time around, i do think very, very few people who are buying these new gtlds will make any money. its not a good investment at this point. will it be at some point? maybe but i wouldn't hold my breath.

coffeeclub.com just went up in value i guess. i bet the domainer who owns that is happy. they probably would of sold it for half the price or less.

Read first page of this thread again.

•••
.mobi is a failed project that has so many parallels to this ngtld fiasco.

There isn't a single business out there that wouldn't want their matching .com. .coms don't need anyone to defend them.

You have to think about all of this from a business standpoint, and understand that most registries and most ICANN associated businesses are investors in .COM.

They arent trying to devalue the .COM, they are trying to inflate the prices by saturating the market with junk. All while making a tidy profit in the process.

None of this is about what is good or bad, or a 'need' for more names; thats small minded. It's about making more money through tld applications and defensive registrations.

Do you honestly think multi-billion dollar companies would want to devalue their prime assets, or allow it to happen?

No, it has not a guide is still a guide, a club is still a club. Mobi is nothing.
And there is no plans that I know about that are looking for putting a .guide button on all mobile-phones around the world. Do you notice the difference yet?

And yeah there is a lot of useless new gTLD's too, no doubt.

Until a change in scenery in the global market and the US (Lots of companies don't care about a .com when there is no need for it on a local market) new keyword gTLD's is still very useful, they rank just as great as .com in Google and if you didn't know Google tell most people where to go browsing the web.

•••
•••
•••
•••

"In fact on Saturday they won the T.R.A.F.F.I.C. Award for Best Marketing by a New gTLD, as well as the Most Promising New gTLD award that is a big value add to McClure, "

Emphasis not mine - This just makes me want to know who won Funniest new gTLD and Best Looking new gTLD? Which was prom King? Queen?

Actually.. I've got a domain name to sell, I just need to make up a crap award to give it.

Best .COM registered on a black laptop missing the letter T! Only $100,000 because of the value add.

•••
Thanks for the article David. I saw the mention of the .mobi sale from 07, but this is an interesting read.

So Rick Schwartz made a heavy investment for the name and bought it for $200k... then selling it for a major loss to Anunt Patel for $6500... when then sold it to 1800Flowers for $5k.

So basically everyone lost in that investment.

I have no idea where .club will go, but that flowers.mobi sale caused a lot of controversy and speculation and even bad feeling at the time. I don't claim to know what the truth was, but on blogs and forums it was being said that behind the scenes the full price would not be paid. Rick Schwartz went so far as to defend his purchase, with the strange logic of saying he was willing to pay that much because there were other bidders in the room on the day who clearly valued the domain highly.

I am not sure everyone lost as the initial high auction prices for .mobi fuelled the speculative bubble. Everyone wants to avoid the "empty restaurant" syndrome and make their new place look busy and attractive. Several years later the .mobi registry was found to be seriously misleading domainer "investors" to maintain sales and renewals.

There is nothing stopping a registry arranging very convenient or flexible payment terms - they can sell me ganja.scam for $1m with a ten year loan and renegotiate the loan after ten years when I have not paid, meanwhile people want to pay $1.5m for weed.scam.

So I am sceptical about some reported prices, nothing new there.

•••
Back