IT.COM

question Clarification on History if Domain Expires?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
If a domain goes into expiration status (it has not been renewed/transferred and the website goes offline) for up to 5 days but is then renewed or transferred then what happens with the domain's history? Will it show up as expired and all previous history wiped and it starts again or does it not show up as expired once it's been renewed in this time frame..

Actually what happened to me is that I tried to transfer it over about a week before expiration but the register sent me a corupt auth code. I then emailed them but as they seem to be a reseller they said they had to contact their manager to get an auth code which took nearly 5 days or so. Then when they gave it to me I asked for them to expedite the transfer to the new register but again they said they had to email their manager and now that has been about 4 days. The domain has entered into expiration status for 2 days now and apparently it will not transfer until the 26th of May. I have asked them to make it urgent but they refuse to reply or help.

I'm just curious to what will happen to the domain now, will it lose the age as it is about 8 or 9 years old?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The domain keeps its age as long as it is renewed within the grace period. It only loses its history once it is fully dropped and removed from the registry.

•••
Yeah .. until a domain completely drops off the face of the earth and returns available for handreg, then it keeps it's initial create-date.

I don't know of any exceptions to that. You can transfer it 100 times .. it can expire every year .. but as long as it is renewed before it drops (about 7 weeks after "expiration" for .com's), or it bought in an expiring auction .. then the create-date stays as is and no "aging" is lost.

Last edited:
•••
well that is good news. I will never use that register ever again (Rebel), I wrote all the details on my thread. hopefully it will transfer finally tomorrow. One thing I have learned out of this is to make sure to transfer at least 2 weeks before it expires with any registers besides well known trusted ones.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back