Dynadot

question Why expired domains look renewed in whois?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

FlipperC

Established Member
Impact
I am following a domain name that expired.

The whois prior to expiration shows 2019-12-21.

So then I wait 45 days for the domain to go through auto renew grace period and then it might go to auction.

Here my question. Why does the expiration date change to 2021-12-21 in whois record. That seems very strange?

I cannnot tell if it was renewed or it expiring.

There some way to tell? TIA

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If you see 2021-12-21 in whois record, I guess that's because the domain has been renewed.

•••
it has to “pending delete” for to be drop official,

used think ”transfer prohibited” extraneous, now i know they have meaning.

Last edited:
•••
my question to u is; what was domain status?

Here’s a great example;
Check VDF.com, it was registered in 1993
worth more than most people’s names.
Status : client hold, client transfer prohibited, pending delete
goner” (already see 70+ backorders dynadot)

Do you remember if this domain ever hitting “pending delete”? different grace policies have number days, render xxday after figure useless

Last edited:
•••
my question to u is; what was domain status?

As samer has said very well, check the domain "Status".
If it shows redemptionPeriod, it still hasn't been renewed.
If it shows ok or transferProhibited, it's very likely the domain has been already renewed.

•••
For .com domains at least, and probably all ICANN controlled domains, ICANN stipulates that at renewal the registrar pays the renewal fee at expiry. If the registrant doesn't renew the domain, then ICANN refund the registration fee at day 45 by credit to the registrars account when the registrar gives control of the domain back to ICANN. This is the reason why you see expiry dates 1 year ahead, when the domain hasn't in fact been renewed by the current owner.

•••
For .com domains at least, and probably all ICANN controlled domains, ICANN stipulates that at renewal the registrar pays the renewal fee at expiry. If the registrant doesn't renew the domain, then ICANN refund the registration fee at day 45 by credit to the registrars account when the registrar gives control of the domain back to ICANN. This is the reason why you see expiry dates 1 year ahead, when the domain hasn't in fact been renewed by the current owner.

That's the kind of post that separates the Pros from the ...you know, the guys who have been starting all the nonsense threads recently. They shall not be named.

@stub bringing the knowledge!

•••
This is the reason why you see expiry dates 1 year ahead, when the domain hasn't in fact been renewed by the current owner.

Yes. But in this case, the expiration date is not 1 year ahead, but 2 years ahead, 2021-12-21.

That's why I said, the domain has been probably renewed.

•••

Stub! You rock. I knew is something like that.

Yes. But in this case, the expiration date is not 1 year ahead, but 2 years ahead, 2021-12-21.

My error. I mistyped. It was 2020-12-21.

Thank all!!!

•••
My error. I mistyped. It was 2020-12-21.

So your date error at your first post was basic, to understand what happens :)

If the expiry date is 2020-12-21, then, presumably, it's what Stub has said at his post.

But to be sure, you must still look at the whois domain Status.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back