Dynadot

CHINESE - IDN's

NameSilo
Watch

dave2013

Established Member
Impact
Is there a future in chinese language domains? I have two registered which are listed in namepros under the IDN for sale section. Is there much of a market for these or are they dead.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Is there a future in chinese language domains? I have two registered which are listed in namepros under the IDN for sale section. Is there much of a market for these or are they dead.

With such a large population and the introduction of .idn extensions ..........there sure is, you only have to go to IDNF/com to see they are popular. this place is not well known for idn sales

•••
Nowdays, chinese IDN are not popular in China

•••

A billion plus population, and according to Wikipedia less than 10 million fluently read and write english. So good chance they will embrace Chinese language domains but still going to take some time until they really go mainstream once idn.idn gets situated and the bigger companies begin to use them more mainstream. Advertising agencies will like them for easy to remember billboards and advertising.

The bulk of mainland Chinese read Mandarin (simplified Chinese), so there appears to be an opportunity especially for geos, and short, memorable catagory defining keywords. The smart phone is the computer of the future, and they have 300 million plus which they access mainly in Chinese and pinyan. There are more Chinese IDNs registered by Chinese nationals than any other language, so I think there is some opportunity down the road when these guys start developing. Keep a few great names for a few years and see what happens, a cheap xx, or xxx investment for some nice potential upside.

Last edited:
•••

Depends on the meaning of Chinese IDN, in general, Chinese IDNs that have special, commercial, economic value will always have good matching prices, i.e. 笔记本电脑.com (IDN) (xn--8pv752a1qej5gmyo.com) sold for US$5,832, 搞笑.中国 (Funny.China) US$3,500, 下载.中国 (Download.China) US$8,000 etc.

Last edited:
•••
"pronamer thanked for this post", wow, you do make my day, pronamer! I am happy to be helpful on NP.

Last edited:
•••
Nowdays, chinese IDN are not popular in China

They like numeric domains, but no reason they will not embrace Chinese characters they can read and understand, but more importantly remember easy so they can come back to the website. That's why I believe advertising agencies will like easy to remember keywords (one symbol or two). Good Chinese names get some nice type in or search, but the 'firewall' blocks most parking providers so hard to monetize.

Last edited:
•••
Some Chinese domainers love Chinese IDN and just as what Billidn said, it will be far easier for Chinese to remember Chinese characters than English characters, i.e. 中国 <-> China, 美国 <->United States, 谷歌 <-> Google.

If you wanna monetize Chinese IDNs, you need to firstly figure out Baidu, Chinese biggest search engine.

•••
Chinese domains are great investments, but keep in mind these things: 1)you must have some language skills to be sure you are choosing right names 2) focus on most popular commercial terms 3)all of them are taken - so, buy expired domains or contact the owners

•••
The market value of the Chinese idns is continually dropping. Even the best ones registered in 2000 and 2001 are being dropped.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back