IT.COM

CEO of a million dollar company low ball offer

NameSilo
Watch

webdomainhub

Established Member
Impact
I just received a low ball offer of $10 from the CEO of a million dollar company for a 2 word category defining keyword domain. Normally I would not expect this type of offer to come from a CEO but I guess it does. The previous low offer was for $50 for a geo+product domain and it was justified cause it is only probably worth that much and coming from the owner of a small computer outfit but $10 from a CEO of a million dollar company? Anyway I declined him politely and the door for any further offer from him is still open. Anyone else can share some similar experiences?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Even if you paid regfee for it, he's not even offering an extra $$ in compensation. Why should you sell something for zero profit (at a loss actually) unless you are actively and visibly trying to liquidate it ?
It's a question of common sense here, one does not have to understand the value of domain names to figure it out.
I can't understand people sometimes :)

•••
I've had multimillion dollar companies not even ask how much I was asking for their business name (generic keyword combinations) in .com.

I find myself cofuzzled by endusers all the time.

•••
maybe the ceo, was once a domainer or still is :)

also, title doesn't predicate the offer or budget

imo...

•••
Sometimes rich people are the stingiest with money.

•••
Even CEOs know to make a regfee offer and wait to see what you really want

•••
I'd guess he knows jack about domain prices and doesn't want to overpay.

•••
And he just add a dollar more to his earlier offer...lol... now I know he is toying with me... Wonder why he has so much time on his hands to even bother...

•••
He's playing mind games with you. If he offered $500 for it then you know he's making a real offer and you would counter in the thousands, but by offering only $10 and only coming up to $11 he's making you question ,in your own mind, if the domain is even valuable at all so he can steal it for very little money.

•••
•••
Just make sure it's no some friend of yours who faked the sender's email address :xf.grin:

•••
You reach the no reply part of the deal. Don't write back, just ignore

•••
I would just reply in a professional manner:
"Sorry but we are too far apart to make a deal happen. Have a good day"
That still leaves the door open for the future, in case they get more reasonable. Time is money.

•••
I recently had a similar situation involving a wealthy businessman inquiring after one of my domains via domainnamesales.com. Decided to hand it over to one of their brokers who then contacted the buyer by phone. Broker got back stating 'even if he can afford it he doesn't want to spend anything on a domain'.

Decided to follow up myself, contacted him and informed him the domain now had a $5,000 buy it now vla dns which he promptly went and purchased. Kinda disappointed the broker wasn't able to ascertain that the buyer did have a budget after all...

•••
Kinda disappointed the broker wasn't able to ascertain that the buyer did have a budget after all...

its because DNS will slap on a 500.000$ price and hope to get a sale, try buying a domain from them....

•••
•••
i got such kind of email allt he time spmmer's do it to get clicks rate.i bet when you got the message the URL muct be tiny form. just ignore thei skind of email.
I just received a low ball offer of $10 from the CEO of a million dollar company for a 2 word category defining keyword domain. Normally I would not expect this type of offer to come from a CEO but I guess it does. The previous low offer was for $50 for a geo+product domain and it was justified cause it is only probably worth that much and coming from the owner of a small computer outfit but $10 from a CEO of a million dollar company? Anyway I declined him politely and the door for any further offer from him is still open. Anyone else can share some similar experiences?

•••
its because DNS will slap on a 500.000$ price and hope to get a sale, try buying a domain from them....

This is absolutely the truth. It has happened to me from an inquiry. I was amazed how tenacious, polite and professional they were, actually. But then they could be at the prices they were quoting. The last email I had from them was about 6 months after my inquiry. I never once replied to any of their emails. I was very impressed with their brokerage service. Even if their price and tenacity, pissed me off. Very impressive.

•••
Don't even answer his/her future emails unless it contains an acceptable offer,not even to say thank you. He knows where you are. First one to talk loses.

•••
Looking at the behaviour, expect to see the next offer at low xxx, they know the game and will not offer you 4 figures straight out.

•••
I just received a low ball offer of $10 from the CEO of a million dollar company for a 2 word category defining keyword domain...

You know, people just never proof read things anymore before hitting the send button.

You should have replied and politely pointed out that his keyboard seems to be sticking as the three (four???) additional zero's that he typed after the "10" did not actually appear in the email you received. :xf.grin:

•••
•••
"A Million Dollar company" is considered a "small business"... in Africa.

It's actually at the lower end of the category.

Think about that.

•••
CEO offered $10 for your domain. Now that's what I call 'a solid negotiation strategy to start with'.

•••
CEO offered $10 for your domain. Now that's what I call 'a solid negotiation strategy to start with'.
I wouldn't say its solid but more like a prank to me...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back