Dynadot

.com domain for a million-dollar company/brand

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

snailman

Established Member
Impact
Guys please help me figure this one out, i am really getting too many grey hairs on this one.
I have a .com domain that is an exact match to an internet company /brand that is worth about $1-1.5 mln imho. About 2.5-3 years ago it was bought by a very big media company for 0.5 mln, and I think they spend quite a bit of money on propping this thing up, advertising, etc.
Recently they sold it to a small company that was a competitor of that brand in its niche, I don't know what was the price but it's likely i'll know it in a few weeks through their stock report.
The owner/ceo of a small company contacted me and wants to buy it, but didn't offer very much money so far. Low 4 digits. The CEO of course says that the .com name is " not critical" and ''they can accomplish what they want without it'' , and it is possible that its true, i think they bought it just to cut down a competitor, and they have 2 other brands ( at least one of them is not suitable for international business due to language ) but i doubt they are ready to throw it away.

So, how much do I ask for it? The domain is neatly sounding 1 word+3 letter ending

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
:talk:

why didn't you accept the "low 4 digit" offer?

•••
Because I think they can pay more? At first I didnt know that the company/brand was sold, I thought it is still owned by the media giant ( 1 billion+ company ) so I asked for more than a million. Alas.
House on the lake isn't happening. But, if they dropped anywhere from 0.4 to 2 million dollars to buy a THIRD company, can't I expect at least low or mid xx xxx for the .com name? What do you guys think?

•••
Is the name in anyway infringing on a trademark or business name they own?

If the name is and they are as big as you say...... they are being generous in offering anything besides a letter from their lawyer.

You can try and throw back a counter, but dont get greedy.

Burning bridges is a very easy and costly mistake to make in this situation.

Take the money and move on while you still can.

IMHO

•••
The name is exactly their trademark and (new) business name, but it's trademarked only in their country, not in mine and not internationally, besides there is no cyber-squatting of any kind. I saw a deleted domain and I regged it. There is nothing there, never was and it was them who came to me. Besides even if I lived in their country owning domain names per se does not constitute any kind of infringement, regardless of any letters from the angriest lawyers

•••
Because I think they can pay more? At first I didnt know that the company/brand was sold, I thought it is still owned by the media giant ( 1 billion+ company ) so I asked for more than a million. Alas.
House on the lake isn't happening. But, if they dropped anywhere from 0.4 to 2 million dollars to buy a THIRD company, can't I expect at least low or mid xx xxx for the .com name? What do you guys think?

:talk:

dude or dude-ette, which ever you are -

companies don't purchase domains based on the net worth or percentage of the business.

sure, you can ask for the sky, but since they indicated that it's "not critical" that they have your domain....then pushing the envelope too far may lose you a sale.

of course that could be a strategy on their part, but it does translate a message.

Good Luck!

imo...

•••
No one can really answer this question for you.

When it all boils down, if you feel like you can get more, then play ball. If you don't ask, you won't get.....

But....

Just know that you are at risk of losing a sale altogether and holding a name that may either be worthless or at least a renewal liability if they don't bite.

It's all about how much risk you are comfortable with. That's the game.

Good luck!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back