IT.COM

My Million Dollar Domain Hobby

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

gurgeous

Established Member
Impact
Hi guys. I published a long tell-all describing the blood, sweat and code that went into building my million dollar .ai/.io portfolio. Here's the link - medium.com/@amd_2793/my-million-dollar-domain-hobby-c74b14db4e64

Some tidbits from the post - crawling whois, building a drop catching system from scratch, the time I accidentally DOS'd the island of Anguilla, Google's .app auctions as a metric for domain value, how to handle leads when you have no time, the intricacies of the monthly .ai auctions, etc.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
After reading your article on Medium, I could have never imagined all the 1 word .ai and .io domains which I was trying to find are with you. 🤣

Hats off to you bro for presenting domain names with such cute landing pages. @gergeous I kept pressing the I'm Feeling Lucky Button!!!

Last edited:
•••
Hi guys. I published a long tell-all describing the blood, sweat and code that went into building my million dollar .ai/.io portfolio. Here's the link - medium.com/@amd_2793/my-million-dollar-domain-hobby-c74b14db4e64

Some tidbits from the post - crawling whois, building a drop catching system from scratch, the time I accidentally DOS'd the island of Anguilla, Google's .app auctions as a metric for domain value, how to handle leads when you have no time, the intricacies of the monthly .ai auctions, etc.

Thanks for sharing your story. Domaining is like an ocean , there is so much to learn and also a lot of new opportunities awaiting every day.. Many times we see the comments like so and so person lucky because he or she enter the market in right time. The fact is those who go out of their comfort zone to explore new things taking calculated risks has the chances of finding the new goldmine.. :)

You have an amazing portfolio of .io and .ai domains. Certainly they are worth more than a million , you are still humble on the values of those names.

Wishing you all the best.

•••
.io domains. I wouldn't own one. Tell me why anyone would other than to be funny and cute? There was a time domain names represented professionalism and notoriety. Those days have burned to the ground. Today it's hip hop bip bop culture. Is it cool saying " Yo dawg I am surfing the Indian ocean catch a wave with me" ? I personally have always believed .io was an "industry heist" that stuck. I also know I never see the extension on the Internet unless it's something that is generally some form of "new wave" silliness. As a last comment why would someone walk past .us, .TV or .me first? These extensions make total sense. I would just love 5 great reasons to own a .io! You can't say as an alternative to a .com because it is not! Thank you for your time if you make it to answer questions!

•••
doesnt whois use captcha? i ended up scraping the registrars themselves, but they also rate limited lol

•••
13 minutes read was worth spent. Thanks

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back