Dynadot

My Million Dollar Domain Hobby

NameSilo
Watch

gurgeous

Established Member
Impact
Hi guys. I published a long tell-all describing the blood, sweat and code that went into building my million dollar .ai/.io portfolio. Here's the link - medium.com/@amd_2793/my-million-dollar-domain-hobby-c74b14db4e64

Some tidbits from the post - crawling whois, building a drop catching system from scratch, the time I accidentally DOS'd the island of Anguilla, Google's .app auctions as a metric for domain value, how to handle leads when you have no time, the intricacies of the monthly .ai auctions, etc.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hi guys. I published a long tell-all describing the blood, sweat and code that went into building my million dollar .ai/.io portfolio. Here's the link - medium.com/@amd_2793/my-million-dollar-domain-hobby-c74b14db4e64

Some tidbits from the post - crawling whois, building a drop catching system from scratch, the time I accidentally DOS'd the island of Anguilla, Google's .app auctions as a metric for domain value, how to handle leads when you have no time, the intricacies of the monthly .ai auctions, etc.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us !

You knew domaining before domainers, which let you to succeed in your venture, it was fascinating to read your story and gained many useful details and things I haven't been aware about before, and really inspiring for new comers !

It's easy to guess that eth.io was a good gem, congrats for this new competence aquired and good luck for others.
Which hobby should I try next?

Have you already tried crypto/stock trading?

PS: bookmarked the link btw

Last edited:
•••
•••
Congrats on making your million dollar milestone. I would only claim it after i sold a million dollars in sales some will claim it from their Godaddy valuations. My gut feeling is you have 25 domains all worth hundreds of thousands each am i right?

•••
yea most newbies have no clue just how hard it is to make good money in domains...so blood and sweat sure is key here... and true

but park io is bad place to buy from for domainers as most end prices there are definitely not worth the domains won ... if u pay 1k for some avg keyword 1word io yer chance of roi is slim.

Last edited:
•••

p s... can u post here what u think are your most valuable 3 names?

•••
Congrats on making your million dollar milestone. I would only claim it after i sold a million dollars in sales some will claim it from their Godaddy valuations. My gut feeling is you have 25 domains all worth hundreds of thousands each am i right?

https://gurge.com/domains.html

•••
Also, I recommend reading that post. It's a good read.

•••
Let's see. To answer some of the questions above:

Q: park.io is a bad place to buy from
A: Yes, I learned this over time. I think the same thing might be true of the .ai auctions at this point. I'm getting plenty of leads so I have a reasonable handle on value. How long am I willing to wait to sell high value domains? It's just a hobby!

Q: Can u post here what u think are your most valuable 3 names?
A: Hard to say, really. Some of my favorites are blueprint.ai, pixel.ai & text.ai. It all depends on the buyer, though. I just think those three would make great company names.

•••
Congratulation for your achievement and welcome to NamePros!

•••
Was a good read Adam. Best of luck.

•••
•••
What’s the most you’ve paid for a single .io?

•••
to the OP: I dont think you have made anywhere near 1 million, nor will you in the next few years.

You aren't as good as you think at drop catching, or I'd actually know who you are... The who-is doesn't lie and tells all.

keep building, and stay excited.. I do like your style.. one day you may very well have a million dollar portfolio :)

Last edited:
•••
•••
Q: What’s the most you’ve paid for a single .io?
A: Most I paid for a .io was 9k, which I managed to sell for 2.5x.

•••
Loved the post. Great hustle. Portfolio is awesome. Some will sell for good for sure.

•••
Interesting read & welcome to NamePros

Cheers
Corey

•••
Thanks everyone, very happy to be here! I've been reading for years and it's nice to finally be able to post something interesting.

•••
to the OP: I dont think you have made anywhere near 1 million, nor will you in the next few years.

You aren't as good as you think at drop catching, or I'd actually know who you are... The who-is doesn't lie and tells all.

keep building, and stay excited.. I do like your style.. one day you may very well have a million dollar portfolio :)

OMG, such a negativity ?! Can you give some proofs about what you are talking or just to be desagreable with new members, or it's some kind of jealousy !!! I don't believe I am reading such things ... I know there is people like this here who only intervenes to say nothing/or not helpful stuffs like criticism etc. but not at this point !

I didn't have to repost like this so as not to pollute the thread like others did, but it's stronger than me !!

Keep going man, close your eyes and ignore them.

Last edited:
•••
Awesome story I enjoyed reading it a lot.

Although I have no idea about your sales prices, but I feel that you underprice your domains, most domainers here would but a price tag of 5 to 6 figures on some of your top domains.

You should focus on using better landing pages, you can use Dan(.com), extremely easy to use, and they offer all payment options.

I like the following domains the most and I think they are the most valuable in your portfolio:
  1. pixel.ai
  2. idea.ai
  3. file.ai
  4. text.ai
  5. payment.ai
Good luck in your hobby :xf.smile:

Last edited:
•••
Awesome story I enjoyed reading it a lot.

Although I have no idea about your sales prices, but I feel that you underprice your domains, most domainers here would but a price tag of 5 to 6 figures on some of your top domains.

You should focus on using better landing pages, you can use Dan(.com), extremely easy to use, and they offer all payment options.

I like the following domains the most and I think they are the most valuable in your portfolio:
  1. pixel.ai
  2. idea.ai
  3. file.ai
  4. text.ai
  5. payment.ai
Good luck in your hobby :xf.smile:

Thanks, those are some of my favorites too. Do you really think using a canned landing page would increase leads? People seem to really like my friendly, homegrown stuff. Namecheap's landing pages are nice too. I suppose I could experiment and measure.

•••
Do you really think using a canned landing page would increase leads?

Yes for sure because people like more payment options and seamless experience, Escrow is very slow and limited in terms of payment options. In Dan you can finish the deal and get payment after 1 day! they will take care of the domain transfer you just need to push the domain to Dan's escrow account and then receive the payment without waiting buyer to receive and confirm.. In short it is easier for both buyer and seller.

Also I advise you to list your domains at Afternic & Sedo for maximum exposure through their partners network.

Last edited:
•••
@gurgeous Well, your friendly, homegrown stuff (as you call it) looks good to me. The 'strikethroughs' for Sold domains certainly create a sense of urgency. Seeing all domains together creates some context for the visitor about the use cases. Further, the visitor will understand that other buyers have gone the .ai and .io path before, and that it's time to follow this route as well.

So, imo, you don't have to change the page (perhaps even make it the index page?). But if you like to experiment, I recommend DAN as well, just like @Ostrados did.

Fully agree with @Ostrados on pricing your top inventory even higher. You can create a new category for the greatest super premium category killer names, only. Destined for the serious buyer. Perhaps 'Make Offer'?

Last edited:
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back