Dynadot

CAUTION: Stop using Namecheap

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Haven't posted in awhile but just wanted to drop a tip for those not in the loop:

Namecheap and enom are on very bad speaking terms now.

Enom has locked namecheap out of their transfer system and Namecheap can no longer expedite transfer out of the enom system for any reason (except court order)

Do not fall for the small discount codes or "transfer days" they have, you are going to get sucked into a very bad situation.

Remember, Namecheap is not a real registrar, they are simply a very large reseller of enom and that limits them drastically.

Ask anyone who has to wait a full week for a domain transfer from Namecheap and you'll start to get the picture.

Those with good memory will find having namecheap hold domains hostage is very ironic, considering the fiasco they had with godaddy back in 2011 over the same timeout issue...

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I'm new to domaining but I must say I love Namecheap, I got some Bitcoin from way back that I'm converting to domain names B-) I haven't found any other registrar that accepts BTC and so far I've very pleased with their service.

•••
In fact, they have been Icann accredited for several years but still using the Enom platform. I wonder why they don't seem to be at least taking new registrations on their own credentials.

I think Enom is a lot bigger and they get much cheaper prices at the individual domain registries. Namecheap has a contract with them to be able to offer domains at rock bottom prices without actually having to come up with the volume to get the good rates themselves.

•••
If eNom were really doing this for security reasons, wouldn't it also make sense for them to delay transfers between eNom (and NameCheap) customers? That explanation doesn't add up. It's purely to discourage transfers.

I can confirm that this has been the case for quite a while, though. This is nothing new. Didn't all registrars used to be like this? I've never had good luck with inter-registrar transfers.
If eNom's experience is similar to my past registrar work, resolving transfer disputes within the same registrar platform (as NC uses eNom's) is easier than resolving those between two registrars (if the name transferred out).

As some people noted here, some registrars (e.g. Network Solutions) have been delaying transfer-out of names even if approved by their registrants or so. If some of those transfers are unauthorized, guess who takes the blame. Hehe.

•••
This really sounds similar to the other thread saying stop using Godaddy because they are no longer giving away $1 coupon codes.

•••
@aww -

You mentioned "can no longer expedite transfer out..."

Does that mean no transfers out - period? Or no expedite transfers?

Is this a duration issue or a closed gate issue.

I am asking as I have a sale from last Monday 7th that has not transferred out yet to the buyer's GoDaddy account and am wondering if it's a "slow" situation... or a "no way out" situation?

I may be exposed for a $X,XXX lost sale as the buyer is wondering what the hold-up is and is getting fidgety...

Appreciate any insight you could provide... Curious, can we work directly with eNom to transfer our entire portfolio over to their direct control?

-Jim

My transfer out took a full 7 days. I'm done with NC.

•••
There be haters for every registrar.
Not unique that some hate namecheap.
Just like not unique some hate godaddy.
And so forth.
To each his own when it comes to registrars.

•••
Namecheap is not the worse, but they are one of the worse.

1&1 is the worse.

•••
How quick a transfer is done, to a certain degree is a decision made by registrars. With godaddy they like it fast and smooth, and people like that, however there are some registrars who take security very seriously and will not let transfer go too quickly, and who can blame them....

I have been using namecheap forever, from the day they were small and registerfly was bigger (both enom resellers), and I can only say that namecheap has always been a top notch 'small' operation...

•••
How quick a transfer is done, to a certain degree is a decision made by registrars. With godaddy they like it fast and smooth, and people like that, however there are some registrars who take security very seriously and will not let transfer go too quickly, and who can blame them....

I have been using namecheap forever, from the day they were small and registerfly was bigger (both enom resellers), and I can only say that namecheap has always been a top notch 'small' operation...

They say they are helpless, they can not expedite transfers and it shines through that they probably never will be able to. They would like to, but can't.

If you want a topnotch registrar with transfers that take longer than other registrars, be my guest.

ICANN policy says "within 5 days". They take the full 5 days and then some. And they are unable to do anything about it.

Subpar.

•••
Tried to transfer a domain to Uniregistry, It says the code is invalid.
Always trouble with Namecheap!

•••
•••
Yes, it's almost amusing how certain entities suddenly become the "bad guys of the week" especially when last week or last month they were the "go-to" outfit to escape the LAST bad guy (registrar in this case).

Like all the GoDaddy bashing once they curtailed their $0.99-1.99 coupon codes, when everyone started singing praises of all these fantastic alternative registrars, such as Namecheap.

Sometimes talk is cheap.

Last edited:
•••
I would say that NameCheap are no worse than most Registrars/Resellers who don't allow expedited transfers. They are probably better than most. I would not be selecting my Registrar based upon the speed that they release domain transfers. There are many more important factors than that. There are also probably more registrars which don't allow expedited transfers than those who do. So this is entirely a "storm in a teacup" based on a false premise by the OP. eNom have not locked them out of their expedited transfer system. eNom have canceled their expedited transfer system, what seems like at least a year ago, already.

Disclaimer: I don't use NameCheap as my registrar. Any domains I acquire and are registered at NameCheap, I transfer to my preferred registrar at the earliest possibility without any hiccups, but have to wait for the transfer, just like at many registrars.

Last edited:
•••
Had already contacted their support:
"Kindly let us explain the origin of this issue. EPP/Authorization code is used as a protection mechanism to ensure that only the rightful domain owner can control the transfer of the domain registration. From time to time the codes are regenerated at the registry level to add more security to domain transfers.

We have contacted our upstream provider with a request to synchronize the EPP code for your domain with the registry and resend it to you. Kindly allow them some time to proceed. Once we receive a reply from them, we will inform you via this ticket.

The new EPP code will be sent to the registrant domain email [email protected]

Your patience and understanding are highly appreciated in this matter."

•••
Had already contacted their support:
"Kindly let us explain the origin of this issue. EPP/Authorization code is used as a protection mechanism to ensure that only the rightful domain owner can control the transfer of the domain registration. From time to time the codes are regenerated at the registry level to add more security to domain transfers.

We have contacted our upstream provider with a request to synchronize the EPP code for your domain with the registry and resend it to you. Kindly allow them some time to proceed. Once we receive a reply from them, we will inform you via this ticket.

The new EPP code will be sent to the registrant domain email [email protected]

That seems a bit tedious. I understand that EPP codes get reset, but I have yet to encounter it while attempting to process a transfer. I know it happens. Disclaimer: I don't have any names registered with Namecheap.

"Contacted our upstream provider." An EPP code reset (following a request by the registrant) should happen... in about the blink of an eye. :xf.frown:

•••
They say they are helpless, they can not expedite transfers and it shines through that they probably never will be able to. They would like to, but can't.

If you want a topnotch registrar with transfers that take longer than other registrars, be my guest.

ICANN policy says "within 5 days". They take the full 5 days and then some. And they are unable to do anything about it.

Subpar.
I suppose NameCheap can always say they delay transfer-outs to allow time for fraud checks. Then again, how many people really appreciate that kind of answer despite its candor?

Anywho, that's fine. Everyone has mileage, some of which vary.

•••
Namecheap is not the worse, but they are one of the worse.

1&1 is the worse.

Please elaborate how NameCheap are one of the worst? Worst what?

•••
Tried to transfer a domain to Uniregistry, It says the code is invalid.
Always trouble with Namecheap!
That's what i'm talking about.

That actually translates to "please wait for 2 days" in plain English.

Two possibilities:
The EPP code is out of sync with the registry. Maybe you can generate a new one yourself with this trick: lock domain, unlock domain, request EPP code, see if it a new code has been generated in the process.
Been there, done that. But no can do.

I had to open a chat session with their gorgeous Eastern European hot babes Support Staff like Natasha, and ask to manually request a new EPP code from Enom.

•••
I had to open a chat session with their gorgeous Eastern European hot babes Support Staff like Natasha, and ask to manually request a new EPP code from Enom.

ha ha ha

•••
I had to open a chat session with their gorgeous Eastern European hot babes Support Staff like Natasha
That just made my day. =)

•••
Weird...
I just had a domain transferred from NameCheap to domain.com and the transfer went smooth.
Also had one ~1 week ago from NameCheap to NameSilo. That one went smooth too.

From what I heard a while back they have more than one "upstream provider". Perhaps only some domains are affected.

•••
I rcvd my 3 domains transferred away from NameCheap. So there is nothing wrong with the transfer process away from NameCheap. It works exactly as it should. The ghost records at NameCheap are eNom's fault I'll send NameCheap a ticket to remove them.

•••
Haven't posted in awhile but just wanted to drop a tip for those not in the loop:

Namecheap and enom are on very bad speaking terms now.

Enom has locked namecheap out of their transfer system and Namecheap can no longer expedite transfer out of the enom system for any reason (except court order)

Do not fall for the small discount codes or "transfer days" they have, you are going to get sucked into a very bad situation.

Remember, Namecheap is not a real registrar, they are simply a very large reseller of enom and that limits them drastically.

Ask anyone who has to wait a full week for a domain transfer from Namecheap and you'll start to get the picture.

Those with good memory will find having namecheap hold domains hostage is very ironic, considering the fiasco they had with godaddy back in 2011 over the same timeout issue...

Thanks

•••
@JudgeMind - FYI. This first post is completely erroneous and has been 100% debunked.

•••
It took NameCheap less than 4 hours to remove the ghost records from my account. I am completely satisfied that NameCheap is working just fine.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back