IT.COM

CAUTION: Stop using Namecheap

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Haven't posted in awhile but just wanted to drop a tip for those not in the loop:

Namecheap and enom are on very bad speaking terms now.

Enom has locked namecheap out of their transfer system and Namecheap can no longer expedite transfer out of the enom system for any reason (except court order)

Do not fall for the small discount codes or "transfer days" they have, you are going to get sucked into a very bad situation.

Remember, Namecheap is not a real registrar, they are simply a very large reseller of enom and that limits them drastically.

Ask anyone who has to wait a full week for a domain transfer from Namecheap and you'll start to get the picture.

Those with good memory will find having namecheap hold domains hostage is very ironic, considering the fiasco they had with godaddy back in 2011 over the same timeout issue...

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hasn't anybody even noticed eNom stopped their expedited transfers? For some time already. It's not NameCheap's fault.
Right. Any registrar or reseller associated with the eNom platform now has a 5-day transfer-out process that cannot be expedited. Thought that was common knowledge now for anyone using eNom platforms.

So that fact alone is no reason to start bashing Namecheap.

•••
Thanks for your feedback and those of others. Just wanted to let you know we’ve listened and while this was instituted for security reasons I agree that it causes a burden on domainers and domain traders due to the time issues. That being said, as of yesterday, the 5 day waiting period has been removed from all transfers away from from Namecheap to 0 days. The best way to approach this is to beef up our already great internal security with even more 2fa options. Thanks again for pushing this issue forward and your feedback.

Richard K.

CEO Namecheap

•••
I've been doing transfers out either from moving or sales and they are taking 5 days (If you click on the email link and verify the transfer), same as they have for many months for me. They take 7 if you don't go to the link in the confirmation email and accept the transfer.

I don't see what has changed. Nothing has for me. Seems like a bunch of panic for no reason.

•••
This is kind of remarkable in that -- at least on the surface -- it speaks volumes about what NamePros membership appears to represent as far as your customer base, assuming that your policy change is largely in response to comments in this thread. Am I interpreting this incorrectly?

Considering we manage close to 5 million domains for 1.5 million customers, I would say no, Namepros does not make up the bulk of our customers. That being said, we made the changes because we do listen to our customers' feedback and implement changes based on that feedback when it makes sense.

We aren't unreasonable or looking to somehow screw our customers as was implied by the OP. It was originally instituted as a security policy to give our customers more time if their accounts were somehow hacked or domains hijacked. I realize now that it was also impeding business transactions even more so it made sense to make this move. The best approach again is to focus on and beef up our customer's 2fa options instead.

Last edited:
•••
NameCheap are a solid eNom Reseller. Nothing wrong with them, that I am aware of. They just announced they were about to update their control panel. Well the old one was looking pretty dated, but it worked well. It's not my preferred registrar/reseller, but the OP does sound a bit like he has a beef with them over something.

•••
•••
Yes, it's almost amusing how certain entities suddenly become the "bad guys of the week" especially when last week or last month they were the "go-to" outfit to escape the LAST bad guy (registrar in this case).

Like all the GoDaddy bashing once they curtailed their $0.99-1.99 coupon codes, when everyone started singing praises of all these fantastic alternative registrars, such as Namecheap.

Sometimes talk is cheap.

Last edited:
•••
Tried to transfer a domain to Uniregistry, It says the code is invalid.
Always trouble with Namecheap!
That's what i'm talking about.

Your patience and understanding are highly appreciated in this matter."
That actually translates to "please wait for 2 days" in plain English.

Two possibilities:
The EPP code is out of sync with the registry. Maybe you can generate a new one yourself with this trick: lock domain, unlock domain, request EPP code, see if it a new code has been generated in the process.
Been there, done that. But no can do.

I had to open a chat session with their gorgeous Eastern European hot babes Support Staff like Natasha, and ask to manually request a new EPP code from Enom.

•••
It took NameCheap less than 4 hours to remove the ghost records from my account. I am completely satisfied that NameCheap is working just fine.

•••
UPDATE:

Today (Friday September 25th 2015)

I was finally able to transfer a .com out of namecheap in 30 minutes.

Minutes after I clicked accept on transfer-approval page (enom's) it was at my other registrar.

So what enetwork has said is confirmed.

Hope that helps people. Though we don't know if it will stay this way.

•••
Remember, Namecheap is not a real registrar, they are simply a very large reseller of enom and that limits them drastically.
In fact, they have been Icann accredited for several years but still using the Enom platform. I wonder why they don't seem to be at least taking new registrations on their own credentials.

•••
@aww -

You mentioned "can no longer expedite transfer out..."

Does that mean no transfers out - period? Or no expedite transfers?

Is this a duration issue or a closed gate issue.

I am asking as I have a sale from last Monday 7th that has not transferred out yet to the buyer's GoDaddy account and am wondering if it's a "slow" situation... or a "no way out" situation?

I may be exposed for a $X,XXX lost sale as the buyer is wondering what the hold-up is and is getting fidgety...

Appreciate any insight you could provide... Curious, can we work directly with eNom to transfer our entire portfolio over to their direct control?

-Jim

•••
Luckily my portfolio is not so big, but I think I'll switch to GD

•••
I have no more domains left at Namecheap since last year. The compelling reason for me, is because Namecheap renewals are not cheap, they are expensive. And they've been blocking promo code transfers for domains that have been transferred out from them.

Another reason for me, is because their EPP codes almost always contain characters that could not be recognized by other registrars. I would have to chat them and ask for a new EPP code, then they will say wait for 48 hours for their upstream provider Enom to send the new EPP codes. Imagine doing that for 300 domains. Hassle!

•••
@stub and @bluebox -

Thanks for providing clarity and specific examples in this thread. The original post provided some confusion.

@stub, when your 3 transfers are completed, would you mind providing a post in this thread to help others reading thru this thread to know the facts (via recent examples of transfer success). [thanks again for your insights on the topic]

-Jim

I will. It was always my intention to do so. To debunk the OP's claims.

•••
If eNom were really doing this for security reasons, wouldn't it also make sense for them to delay transfers between eNom (and NameCheap) customers? That explanation doesn't add up. It's purely to discourage transfers.

I can confirm that this has been the case for quite a while, though. This is nothing new. Didn't all registrars used to be like this? I've never had good luck with inter-registrar transfers.

•••
I have transferred out domains from GoDaddy, NameSilo, Tucows and transfer took only few hours. It seems only eNom is delaying transfers.
Try transferring out a domain from NetSol or 1&1 within "a few hours" and tell me how that works. And don't forget our beloved Moniker.

Just sayin'. :xf.smile:

•••
There be haters for every registrar.
Not unique that some hate namecheap.
Just like not unique some hate godaddy.
And so forth.
To each his own when it comes to registrars.

•••
Namecheap is not the worse, but they are one of the worse.

1&1 is the worse.

•••
I rcvd my 3 domains transferred away from NameCheap. So there is nothing wrong with the transfer process away from NameCheap. It works exactly as it should. The ghost records at NameCheap are eNom's fault I'll send NameCheap a ticket to remove them.

•••
@JudgeMind - FYI. This first post is completely erroneous and has been 100% debunked.

•••
Considering we manage close to 5 million domains for 1.5 million customers, I would say no, Namepros does not make up the bulk of our customers. That being said, we made the changes because we do listen to our customers' feedback and implement changes based on that feedback when it makes sense.

We aren't unreasonable or looking to somehow screw our customers as was implied by the OP. It was originally instituted as a security policy to give our customers more time if their accounts were somehow hacked or domains hijacked. I realize now that it was also impeding business transactions even more so it made sense to make this move. The best approach again is to focus on and beef up our customer's 2fa options instead.

Well I for one am very happy with the service you guys provide. I haven't been in domaining long but I've registered names at a few different registrars and I gotta say Namecheap is by far my favorite and it's not just because you have competitive prices. Your live chat support is awesome, I've contacted them 3 or 4 times about different things and every time it's been a great experience. You guys accept Bitcoin, I mean c'mon how cool is that ? :alien2:
If there is anything I would like to see evolve further it is the marketplace, I think there is huge potential there. I know there is a lot of competition in that area and by no means should you focus your resources there but if over time you're able to refine little details and keep improving, I think you can turn it into a thriving hub in it's own right.
Anyways keep up the great work! :)

•••
so which registrar do you recommend for domaining ?

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back