Dan.com

CAUTION: stop using Namecheap

NameSilo
Haven't posted in awhile but just wanted to drop a tip for those not in the loop:

Namecheap and enom are on very bad speaking terms now.

Enom has locked namecheap out of their transfer system and Namecheap can no longer expedite transfer out of the enom system for any reason (except court order)

Do not fall for the small discount codes or "transfer days" they have, you are going to get sucked into a very bad situation.

Remember, Namecheap is not a real registrar, they are simply a very large reseller of enom and that limits them drastically.

Ask anyone who has to wait a full week for a domain transfer from Namecheap and you'll start to get the picture.

Those with good memory will find having namecheap hold domains hostage is very ironic, considering the fiasco they had with godaddy back in 2011 over the same timeout issue...
 
14 0
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I've noticed this as well and thought it was just me.
 

Kate

Domainosaurus RexTop Contributor
Impact
21,724
Remember, Namecheap is not a real registrar, they are simply a very large reseller of enom and that limits them drastically.
In fact, they have been Icann accredited for several years but still using the Enom platform. I wonder why they don't seem to be at least taking new registrations on their own credentials.
 

LucidDomains

LucidDomains.comTop Contributor
Impact
6,649
What you mean "...sucked into a very bad situation" ?

You saying if we were to transfer out and wait 5-7 days, they would denied the request?
 

slimjim270

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
481
@aww -

You mentioned "can no longer expedite transfer out..."

Does that mean no transfers out - period? Or no expedite transfers?

Is this a duration issue or a closed gate issue.

I am asking as I have a sale from last Monday 7th that has not transferred out yet to the buyer's GoDaddy account and am wondering if it's a "slow" situation... or a "no way out" situation?

I may be exposed for a $X,XXX lost sale as the buyer is wondering what the hold-up is and is getting fidgety...

Appreciate any insight you could provide... Curious, can we work directly with eNom to transfer our entire portfolio over to their direct control?

-Jim
 

RU

I'm out of domaining. ~RusselAccount Closed (Requested)
Impact
2,951
But anyway Namecheap is one of my favorite Registrars.
 

RU

I'm out of domaining. ~RusselAccount Closed (Requested)
Impact
2,951

RU

I'm out of domaining. ~RusselAccount Closed (Requested)
Impact
2,951
@aww...I am asking as I have a sale from last Monday 7th that has not transferred out yet to the buyer's GoDaddy account and am wondering if it's a "slow" situation... or a "no way out" situation?...

I am exactly in the same situation. Sold a Namecheap-domiciled (registered) domain at GD Auctions. Funds received by GD today. Now that the transfer process should begin, then this piece of 'bad news'. @aww, please kindly clarify. Thank you.
 
Last edited:

slimjim270

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
481
@bonavee -

FYI -

Here's where I am with my situation with my domain transfer out from Namecheap to GoDaddy... Last Monday 7th, I did the following...

1) changed the domain to "unlock",
2) took off the Whois Protection,
3) received the EPP code,
4) received an email from GoDaddy with the Transfer Code and User Code,
5) mailed the EPP, Transfer Code, and User Code to the buyer,
6) received an email from Namecheap indicated a transfer request had been made and without a notification from me to halt the process, it would proceed in 5 days,
7) then... received an email from GoDaddy confirming the transfer was in process.

But... the domain is still sitting in my account looking stupid... and won't walk across the street to it's new home... (8 days waiting for the light to turn green)

-Jim
 
@bonavee -

FYI -

Here's where I am with my situation with my domain transfer out from Namecheap to GoDaddy... Last Monday 7th, I did the following...

1) changed the domain to "unlock",
2) took off the Whois Protection,
3) received the EPP code,
4) received an email from GoDaddy with the Transfer Code and User Code,
5) mailed the EPP, Transfer Code, and User Code to the buyer,
6) received an email from Namecheap indicated a transfer request had been made and without a notification from me to halt the process, it would proceed in 5 days,
7) then... received an email from GoDaddy confirming the transfer was in process.

But... the domain is still sitting in my account looking stupid... and won't walk across the street to it's new home... (8 days waiting for the light to turn green)

-Jim

OMG! With this ugly situation, won't buyers start getting suspicious... no thanks to Namecheap? I have already taken the Privacy Guard off BUT with the current situation, to be on the safe side, I might as well leave the domain locked (the funds are still with GD anyway) until triggered by an 'unlock request'! I'll hold on for some time and then consider intimating Namecheap and GoDaddy Auctions with 'matters arising'. Thanks for the heads up Jim.
 
Hasn't anybody even noticed eNom stopped their expedited transfers? For some time already. It's not NameCheap's fault.
 

NameOmnia

In DisguiseTop Contributor
Impact
6,378
Alright, I too have a handful names with NC so I'd like to understand the situation a bit better.

When you say you can't expedite the transfer do you meant that you simply need to wait the canonical 5 to 7 days or that there are real issues in transferring out? There is a huge difference between the two.

Also I think that some registrars do this as a consequence of domain thefts.
 

vivaldi

Nothing personalTop Contributor
Impact
1,510
Hell, I'm in the process of transfer all my domains away from Namecheap guess I should have done this a lot sooner.
 

forge

vv anchorsTop Contributor
Impact
8,305
Hasn't anybody even noticed eNom stopped their expedited transfers? For some time already. It's not NameCheap's fault.
Right. Any registrar or reseller associated with the eNom platform now has a 5-day transfer-out process that cannot be expedited. Thought that was common knowledge now for anyone using eNom platforms.

So that fact alone is no reason to start bashing Namecheap.
 
Hasn't anybody even noticed eNom stopped their expedited transfers? For some time already. It's not NameCheap's fault.

I've never directly had any biz with eNom, so this is a useful piece of information for me. :) Okay then, there may still be light down the dark tunnel after all. Well, fingers crossed while we wait and watch. Thanks for the heads up @stub.
 
Last edited:
NameCheap are a solid eNom Reseller. Nothing wrong with them, that I am aware of. They just announced they were about to update their control panel. Well the old one was looking pretty dated, but it worked well. It's not my preferred registrar/reseller, but the OP does sound a bit like he has a beef with them over something.
 
NameCheap are a solid eNom Reseller. Nothing wrong with them, that I am aware of. They just announced they were about to update their control panel. Well the old one was looking pretty dated, but it worked well. It's not my preferred registrar/reseller, but the OP does sound a bit like he has a beef with them over something.

"...Namecheap and enom are on very bad speaking terms now.
Enom has locked namecheap out of their transfer system and Namecheap can no longer expedite transfer out of the enom system for any reason (except court order)..."

The alarms started ringing for me when I read @aww's very 'authoritative' (albeit negative) statement above. Sounded like someone in the know. By the way, l hope @aww will kindly react to the stuff in this thread soon, very soon. Meanwhile, all's well that ends well. The struggle surely continues... unabated! Thanks all.
 

BrandChimp

Life is short. Get up and make yours better. ChimpTop Contributor
Impact
2,597
Name mot even cheap.com haha

Stick with Uniregistry. NC takes forever to transfer a domain name and their pricing is not the best anymore.
 
Can anyone explain : Is it impossible now to transfer out a NCheap-domain, or does it just is the case that transfers out with Auth-code take 5 days ??
 
Can anyone explain : Is it impossible now to transfer out a NCheap-domain, or does it just is the case that transfers out with Auth-code take 5 days ??

I have not started my intended NC to GD transfer yet so I cannot categorically say what the situation is. However, @stub and @forge seem to have implicitly assured us that all is well at Namecheap... at least, to the best of their knowledge. These two are well-versed in this business (my opinion though), so let's have faith. When I do eventually proceed with the transfer, I shall endeavour to post details here. Meanwhile, fingers crossed. No cause for alarm... at least not yet. Good day.
 

ulterios

The Bear is Sticky with HoneyTop Contributor
Impact
13,880
I've been doing transfers out either from moving or sales and they are taking 5 days (If you click on the email link and verify the transfer), same as they have for many months for me. They take 7 if you don't go to the link in the confirmation email and accept the transfer.

I don't see what has changed. Nothing has for me. Seems like a bunch of panic for no reason.