Domain Empire

CAUTION: Stop using Namecheap

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Haven't posted in awhile but just wanted to drop a tip for those not in the loop:

Namecheap and enom are on very bad speaking terms now.

Enom has locked namecheap out of their transfer system and Namecheap can no longer expedite transfer out of the enom system for any reason (except court order)

Do not fall for the small discount codes or "transfer days" they have, you are going to get sucked into a very bad situation.

Remember, Namecheap is not a real registrar, they are simply a very large reseller of enom and that limits them drastically.

Ask anyone who has to wait a full week for a domain transfer from Namecheap and you'll start to get the picture.

Those with good memory will find having namecheap hold domains hostage is very ironic, considering the fiasco they had with godaddy back in 2011 over the same timeout issue...

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
interesting thread. i've had hundreds of domains at namecheap for years and haven't noticed these transfer delays.
There used to be transfer delays, for several months now they are gone as long as you follow the procedure correctly. They used to take days and now it's less than an hour if done correctly. They just haven't been promoting the faster transfers...

•••
Considering we manage close to 5 million domains for 1.5 million customers, I would say no, Namepros does not make up the bulk of our customers. That being said, we made the changes because we do listen to our customers' feedback and implement changes based on that feedback when it makes sense.

We aren't unreasonable or looking to somehow screw our customers as was implied by the OP. It was originally instituted as a security policy to give our customers more time if their accounts were somehow hacked or domains hijacked. I realize now that it was also impeding business transactions even more so it made sense to make this move. The best approach again is to focus on and beef up our customer's 2fa options instead.

Keep up the $0.88 per year specials for selected extensions - I'm loving it :)

I never had any negative experiences with you and currently have about 300 domains registered with you (no, not just specially priced domains).

People, keep in mind that new things need time to develop and technical glitches are happening with most registrars.

Thumbs up from me!

Thanks,
Brandon

•••
Haven't posted in awhile but just wanted to drop a tip for those not in the loop:

Namecheap and enom are on very bad speaking terms now.

Enom has locked namecheap out of their transfer system and Namecheap can no longer expedite transfer out of the enom system for any reason (except court order)

Do not fall for the small discount codes or "transfer days" they have, you are going to get sucked into a very bad situation.

Remember, Namecheap is not a real registrar, they are simply a very large reseller of enom and that limits them drastically.

Ask anyone who has to wait a full week for a domain transfer from Namecheap and you'll start to get the picture.

Those with good memory will find having namecheap hold domains hostage is very ironic, considering the fiasco they had with godaddy back in 2011 over the same timeout issue...
I did not need any transfer till, but it is good info though. Thanks for sharing

•••
as ulterios pointed out the problem is in their (Namecheaps) lousy communication e-mail. I did indeed have to "chat" with their TS to be told that the link does not cancel the transfer, instead it gives you the option to either confirm or reject the transfer. It's small things like this that make the new interface, nice looking as it is, a real PITA, including the loss of two of my domains because their autorenew does not work reliably. To illustrate further, even after transfer confirmation, my NC dashboard kept showing the transferred domains for a few days. It begs the obvious questions - what other parts of the software work in unexpected ways and at what risk are my domains!

•••
People, keep in mind that new things need time to develop and technical glitches are happening with most registrars.

Brandon

So you mean it's just a stupid glitch that I lost some domains and I should just accept it! Duh...Namecheap should provide proper functioning software not lose domains and expect customers to live with their "technical glitches" especially when said glitches have been reported as early as 2008/2009

•••
NameCheap loves my domains. They snatch anything up from my account the moment they can. Tasty.

Last edited:
•••
The main negative about NameCheap is their renewal prices are mostly not competitive.

•••
So you mean it's just a stupid glitch that I lost some domains and I should just accept it! Duh...Namecheap should provide proper functioning software not lose domains and expect customers to live with their "technical glitches" especially when said glitches have been reported as early as 2008/2009

Sorry, I have no information about what happened in your case. I was talking about my own experiences with Namecheap as well as other registrars. I had no problems with Namecheap thus far but ran into some technical glitches with other registrars that were quickly fixed when I contacted their support.

Sorry that you lost some domains :(

Brandon

•••
Many asked for you to transition away from being com/net/org reseller for years.

Richard @enetwork when will you start accepting new registrations, renewals, and transfers using NameCheap Inc. as the registrar?

Considering we manage close to 5 million domains for 1.5 million customers, I would say no, Namepros does not make up the bulk of our customers. That being said, we made the changes because we do listen to our customers' feedback and implement changes based on that feedback when it makes sense.

We aren't unreasonable or looking to somehow screw our customers as was implied by the OP. It was originally instituted as a security policy to give our customers more time if their accounts were somehow hacked or domains hijacked. I realize now that it was also impeding business transactions even more so it made sense to make this move. The best approach again is to focus on and beef up our customer's 2fa options instead.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back