IT.COM

CAUTION: Stop using Namecheap

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Haven't posted in awhile but just wanted to drop a tip for those not in the loop:

Namecheap and enom are on very bad speaking terms now.

Enom has locked namecheap out of their transfer system and Namecheap can no longer expedite transfer out of the enom system for any reason (except court order)

Do not fall for the small discount codes or "transfer days" they have, you are going to get sucked into a very bad situation.

Remember, Namecheap is not a real registrar, they are simply a very large reseller of enom and that limits them drastically.

Ask anyone who has to wait a full week for a domain transfer from Namecheap and you'll start to get the picture.

Those with good memory will find having namecheap hold domains hostage is very ironic, considering the fiasco they had with godaddy back in 2011 over the same timeout issue...

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I started 3 transfer out yesterday. I'm expecting the transfer to complete in 4 days time.

•••
I started 3 transfer out yesterday. I'm expecting the transfer to complete in 4 days time.
5 Total have been what mine are, as long as the link in the confirmation email is followed and approved. I have seen no changes whatsoever.

Let us know how yours go. :)

•••
I have one transfer initiated on Sept 7th (NC -> GD) that has not yet transferred. I clicked on the confirmation email last Friday 11th, yet it still sits in my NC account 9 days after the transfer was initiated.

@stub - I am curious to see how your 3 transfers go this week. (thanks for your above post)

I will give you an update when (if) my Sept 7th transfer moves out.

I have made transfers from Namecheap to GoDaddy before (prior to Sept 7th) and haven't had an issue. Yes, the prior one was in July and did take 7 days (not the typical 5) but it was completed successfully.

-Jim

•••
I had the same experience with EPIK

•••
I already left using NC for the same reason few months ago. Use NameSilo instead.

•••
I transfered one domain on 25 (to namesilo)., completed on 30. no problem with the transfer itself but I still see it in my account:

"Unable to obtain contact information from server
Due to some temporary issues, we were not able to obtain contact information.
3031166 The domain does not belong to this account"

I will have to contact them soon if this doesn't change...

•••
i am moving my names away from namecheap due to the slow transfers but this is across every enom registrar. enom says they did it for security reasons but who knows.

•••
@bluebox mentioned that "no problem with the transfer itself but I still see it in my account:".

Thanks for the post.

I would like to confirm what @bluebox mentioned. After reading his/her post, I did a whois lookup on the Sept 7th transfer I was discussing earlier and the name does show as correctly being under the GoDaddy account (of the new owner) and... then I went and looked at my NC account and the name is still listed on my NC list.

So... it appears the NC transfers to GoDaddy ARE happening within the 5 day period, but the NC site is slow (delayed) at showing the name being removed from your list.

Sigh of relief. Thanks bluebox for the suggestion of x-checking via whois.

-Jim

•••
@bluebox mentioned that "no problem with the transfer itself but I still see it in my account:".

Thanks for the post.

I would like to confirm what @bluebox mentioned. After reading his/her post, I did a whois lookup on the Sept 7th transfer I was discussing earlier and the name does show as correctly being under the GoDaddy account (of the new owner) and... then I went and looked at my NC account and the name is still listed on my NC list.

So... it appears the NC transfers to GoDaddy ARE happening within the 5 day period, but the NC site is slow (delayed) at showing the name being removed from your list.

Sigh of relief. Thanks bluebox for the suggestion of x-checking via whois.

-Jim

These ghost records have always been a problem with NameCheap. It happens at many registrars.

•••
@stub and @bluebox -

Thanks for providing clarity and specific examples in this thread. The original post provided some confusion.

@stub, when your 3 transfers are completed, would you mind providing a post in this thread to help others reading thru this thread to know the facts (via recent examples of transfer success). [thanks again for your insights on the topic]

-Jim

•••
As stub said these are ghost records and not to be worried about. If you click on them, you do not even get the full options like changing DNS etc..

If you want to absolutely check if your transfer has gone through, do a gwhois.org

•••
I have no more domains left at Namecheap since last year. The compelling reason for me, is because Namecheap renewals are not cheap, they are expensive. And they've been blocking promo code transfers for domains that have been transferred out from them.

Another reason for me, is because their EPP codes almost always contain characters that could not be recognized by other registrars. I would have to chat them and ask for a new EPP code, then they will say wait for 48 hours for their upstream provider Enom to send the new EPP codes. Imagine doing that for 300 domains. Hassle!

•••
Another reason for me, is because their EPP codes almost always contain characters that could not be recognized by other registrars. I would have to chat them and ask for a new EPP code, then they will say wait for 48 hours for their upstream provider Enom to send the new EPP codes. Imagine doing that for 300 domains. Hassle!
Can you give a couple examples of those characters? I wasn't aware some are not "universal".

•••
@stub and @bluebox -

Thanks for providing clarity and specific examples in this thread. The original post provided some confusion.

@stub, when your 3 transfers are completed, would you mind providing a post in this thread to help others reading thru this thread to know the facts (via recent examples of transfer success). [thanks again for your insights on the topic]

-Jim

I will. It was always my intention to do so. To debunk the OP's claims.

•••
Can you give a couple examples of those characters? I wasn't aware some are not "universal".
I did not try anymore to discover which special characters were being rejected by other registrars. But when they sent me EPP codes with normal letters and numbers only which you humans use often, then the EPP codes checked out fine. I was transferring out to either Godaddy or Name at the time.

•••
If eNom were really doing this for security reasons, wouldn't it also make sense for them to delay transfers between eNom (and NameCheap) customers? That explanation doesn't add up. It's purely to discourage transfers.

I can confirm that this has been the case for quite a while, though. This is nothing new. Didn't all registrars used to be like this? I've never had good luck with inter-registrar transfers.

•••
If eNom were really doing this for security reasons, wouldn't it also make sense for them to delay transfers between eNom (and NameCheap) customers? That explanation doesn't add up. It's purely to discourage transfers.
I believe the eNom platforms have a 5-day transfer lock (between internal accounts) following new registrations. I recently discovered this is the case with Name.com, at least.

•••
NC has transfer issues. GD is expensive. I think I might move from both. namebright.com has been pretty good so far for me.

•••
I have transferred out domains from GoDaddy, NameSilo, Tucows and transfer took only few hours. It seems only eNom is delaying transfers.

•••
I have transferred out domains from GoDaddy, NameSilo, Tucows and transfer took only few hours. It seems only eNom is delaying transfers.
Try transferring out a domain from NetSol or 1&1 within "a few hours" and tell me how that works. And don't forget our beloved Moniker.

Just sayin'. :xf.smile:

•••
Try transferring out a domain from NetSol or 1&1 within "a few hours" and tell me how that works. And don't forget our beloved Moniker.

Just sayin'. :xf.smile:

They're not recommended. So I don't use them.

•••
Ordered 5 transfers out. Will post updates when possible.

•••
NameCheap is a good registrar.

The few days it takes to transfer out has been the norm for quite sometime now.

•••
I do registrar transfers all the time between Namesilo and GoDaddy (to & fro). For the past 2-3 years, it has ALWAYS only taken a few hours for each transfer.

•••
As far as I'm concern, it's standard for a transfer to take 5-6 days. I have heard it can take longer in some cases. Any registry that offers a feature to expedite this process is doing so as an extra service to us. Personally, I won't knock points off from Namecheap for not offering this service.

I will say that my preferred registry at this time is Namesilo.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back