Dynadot

Cannot list with Afternic because .io WHOIS does not indlude email address

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Restricted (Market)
Impact
I am trying to list a domain for sale with Afternic that I had acquired from Dynadot expired auction almost a month ago. The domain is already listed in Afternic.

I contacted Afternic support to remove the domain but they refuse to because they cannot find an administrative email address in WHOIS. However from what I can tell checking WHOIS of several different .io domains it seems the registry does not include that in public WHOIS. The only ownership info I can find for any .io domain is:

* Registrant Organization
* Registrant State
* Registrant Country

All of which does match the details of my Afternic account but apparently that is not good enough. The official response?

n order to verify ownership, we need the CONTACT information for the domain, which includes the ADMIN EMAIL ADDRESS. We had a case where am employee was undermining his boss and trying to get his domains sold out from under his nose. This is why we take this seriously.

So because they are afraid I might be trying to undermine my boss (which is me actually) they prefer to leave the domain listed in the Afternic account of someone who is clearly not the owner??? Meanwhile if the previous owner actually kept their account up to date and did not still have this domain listed there wouldn't be a question.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Have you tried sending them a screenshot of the registrar's 'contacts' page including the logo of the registrar and creation/expiration date as well?

That's what I do and, so far, never had a problem with proving ownership.

•••
Have you tried sending them a screenshot of the registrar's 'contacts' page including the logo of the registrar and creation/expiration date as well?

That's what I do and, so far, never had a problem with proving ownership.

Of course you can always do that. But you shouldn't have to just because its .io is my point.

This is the primary reason I don't use whois privacy because I don't want to have to go though all of that each time I add domains but it seems the whois based system hasn't taken this limitation on .io into consideration.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back