IT.COM

discuss Can you hire a domain redirect?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

redemo

Mug RuithTop Member
Impact
If someone has a domain that you cannot afford to buy can you "hire it out" and redirect to your website while it's awaiting sale to someone else? I'm also trying to think why this would be a bad idea. Are there any reliable domain hire services or websites? #domainhire

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Yes domain renting is possible but only if owner is willing to do it. Just ask the owner and you might get the deal. Some also sell their domain on installment, so instead of paying rent, you can pay installment as well through Dan or Namesilo type of marketplaces.

•••
•••
@noneisnone Yes that's right. Are there any market places for domain name rentals where you can find names to rent and list names to be rented out? Google didn't turn up much.

Last edited:
•••
You can redirect a web page with the following HTML web page.
This will redirect to google.com in 1 second.

<html>
<head>
<title>Redirect</title>
<meta http-equiv="REFRESH" content="1;url=https://www.google.com"
</head>
</html>

•••
Sounds like you're trying to buy keywords depends whether they are on offer at the right price. I can offer domain site.rentals but what do you plan do do with it. There are problems both sides.

•••
@lock "There are problems both sides" That's partly why I started this thread, to understand the pitfalls of such an agreement. What are the problems for both sides?

•••
This needs to be scaled into an advertising network it is all about cpc really but there is nothing tailored for the type in we haven't the ultimate lander just yet.

Last edited:
•••
@lock Do you know of any websites I can read about renting in and renting out my names?

•••
tbh i just paid premium renewal with zero idea in hope of someone with one and money. Not my strongest idea. This has as much strength as a duel idea to do with contruction sites and webmaster sites.

Last edited:
•••
@redemo

On Dan.com you can choose the Lease-to-own model (already suggested by @MHExplorer).

When you have a construction like this, the domain will no longer be for sale during the Lease period, as you state in your original question.

Be aware of the fact that you don't know how the domain will be used for web/email in the meantime. There may be certain risks, while you are still the owner of the domain. One of these potential risks is described here.

I'm using BIN, without Lease-to-own options.

Last edited:
•••
@lock Do you know of any websites I can read about renting in and renting out my names?
How many names do you have there?
And the traffic stats?
We might be interested for AdVow Ad Network

If we are able to strike a deal, you'll need to use 301 redirect (at registry level). Alternatively, if the domains already have website, you can opt for Advow Ad codes. Simple.

Last edited:
•••
I don't as really haven't been following on with thoughts of renting sites. There would be now more than one company offering it and a search may reveal discussions on it.

•••
Direct rental or lease has potential risks and problems so it has to be done with care.

One slight variation is already available, which is the lease with purchase option. This is an out and out lease (substitute the word rental if you prefer, not much discernible difference) for a pre-agreed set period, say one year, with an option to purchase at the end of that period, or the lease may be renewed. Or it could be cancelled and the domain owner re-takes control.

Escrow.com offer this as a service, which reduces the risks considerably. Some of the more forward thinking sales platforms, including DAN and Epik, I believe, may well do so too. I haven't looked into them. Also, Biix is trying to be innovative with their approach so worth asking. There may be others.

@Josytal thanks for the heads up on your AdVow network. I wasn't previously aware of it. I have a few names worth developing, if I ever get around to developing them. Which probably describes about 50% of us on this site. B-)

•••
@Future Sensors I didn't think about email and if the other party uses it for spam / gets blacklisted. That's a risk I wouldn't want to take. Thinking about the solution is to keep total control of the domain, just redirect nothing else. Or maybe set up a one-way mail forwarding address? @Josytal I have registered total 50 names. 30 are projects and 20 listed for sale. Traffic is nothing to write a song about. Mainly because my names are nearly all U.K. extensions that nobody types in. @Mike Goodman why are biix prices so high? I nearly choked on my smoothie. @lock If something doesn't exist it's normally because it's a bad idea or nobody has gotten around to doing it yet. Which of these do you think is correct? Also why do I find undeveloped.com blog pages with Dan branding? I'm sorry if these are newbie questions guys I just want to take in all the wisdom.

Last edited:
•••
@redemo I'm not sure what y mean by Biix prices being high? They only charge 2% sales commission. Contrast that with 9% by DAN and Epik, 20% by Sedfo and Afternic, lots plus hidden charges by GD and so on. They also offer white label at no extra charge and their own landers are very acceptable. Buyer pays the escrow fees, so it looks like a very good deal to me.

Or are you suggesting the retail prices on the site are high? I can see why people may get that impression if they frequent this site. Most of the offered "valuations" I see on here hugely understate the true end user value of good domain names. Some are valuing based on previous sales, which gives a similar outcome as so many domain names in the records they are based upon have been undersold or deliberately sold wholesale in the past. Yet others are making suppositions based on SEO criteria, utterly irrelevant as it is up to the buyer to build the site and make it seen.

As far as Biix guidance goes, the owner is the same person who owns NameWorth, which attempts to value at true end user value in the first place and this is what their guidance prices are based upon.

Having said that, it is up to the person listing on Biix to decide how much to charge. Prospective buyers' details are passed on and, once again at the seller's discretion, prices can be negotiated.

•••
•••
Also why do I find undeveloped.com blog pages with Dan branding?

Dan is an Undeveloped subsidiary. They renamed their sales venue to Dan Q3 2019 instead of using the parent brand.

•••
There was a firm that a year or so ago tried as a model that people could regionally rent a domain name in parallel. I can't remember their exact name but it had dyn in it and were on a .co I think. Anyway, after trying some advertising, they decided it was not worthwhile.

Lets say someone had a name like pizza. The business would see where the person typing name was, and you could purchase an area (like I could purchase western Canada). Someone from western Canada could get directed to my site, while someone from Europe a totally different redirect, all from same business. So same name could get redirected in different ways. While obvious possible concerns (abuse, reputation, VPN), the idea seemed interesting. Too bad it did not catch on. I think problem was they did not start with a large enough selection of quality names.

As others already pointed out, conventional renting can be done at DAN, Epik, through Escrow and probably others, or by setting it up privately through a domain attorney agreement.

Some companies also offer third level redirection rental. For example Names.Of.London own the domain name for.sale. I could rent out (if available) domains.for.sale and someone else in parallel tractors.for.sale and a third person cottages.for.sale.

Bob

Last edited:
•••
@Bob Hawkes That's such a good idea renting out sub domains.

•••
@Bob Hawkes Imagine owning shop.com you could rent out (edit: unlimited) sub domains flower.shop.com, cake.shop.com, party.shop.com, wine.shop.com, shoe.shop.com, tennis.shop.com, computer.shop.com, carpet.shop.com. That's bordering on the genius side of things.

Last edited:
•••
@Bob Hawkes Imagine owning shop.com you could rent out sub domains flower.shop.com, cake.shop.com, party.shop.com, wine.shop.com, shoe.shop.com, tennis.shop.com, computer.shop.com, carpet.shop.com. That's bordering on the genius side of things.

This is basically how DNS works. But be prepared to handle abuse for your clients, when you are going to do this...

•••
Last edited:
•••
So I'm thinking it's possible to rent a sub domain FROM somebody say shop.com then sub let the sub domain OUT by city. A flower shop in London could sub rent london.flower.shop for London Flower Shop or Manchester Flower Shop used manchester.flower.shop.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back