NameSilo

Can a registrar manipulate the registration date of a domain?

Located in General Domain Discussion, started by Catalyst01, Sep 27, 2021

Replies:
Views:

1. Catalyst01

Catalyst01 Established Member

Recently, I was online searching for domains to hand register. Eventually, I saw one that I really love but it's.xyz and I decided to go for it. Due to the network issue, I couldn't register for it immediately. When I revisited, I noticed it was no longer available and I thought that's normal. Out of curiosity, I decided to check the whois and I discovered someone had registered the name. What got me a little worried was the registration date, it was about 3 days back from the day I saw it. What could have happened? Has anyone experienced anything similar? Could there be a technical reason why this happened?

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. bmugford

bmugford www.DataCube.com PRO VIP ICA Member ★★★★★★★★★★

It is likely the domain was already taken when you searched.

This happens all the time and is nothing unusual really. It can be an issue when there is a problem connecting to a database to verify the registration status.

Brad

3. jhm

jhm Glazed

Its happened to me before, numerous times. If I see something free, then in reality it isn't free, usually just a minor fault and the page needs refreshed

Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
  4. April004

April004 Established Member

Yes, many a times the domain-search-results pages on any registrar might show domains already registered as available. Always cross-check with whois service, if it returns the data or empty.

5. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Top Member NameTalent VIP Gold Account Trusted Blogger

As far as I know, the answer is no.

As others said, I think the situation was that the name was registered, but the registrar display of availability was wrong. I have encountered that many times. With so many TLDs and registries, each with their own system of status sharing to some degree, it is not surprising that some checks with registrars will be wrong.

Bob

6. Catalyst01

Thanks for the clarification

7. Catalyst01

Thanks @Bob Hawkes

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
biix
  1. NamePros uses cookies and similar technologies. By using this site, you are agreeing to our privacy policy, terms, and use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice