IT.COM

question The date of my domain randomly changed

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hello all, I need your help solving such an explosive mystery. The age of my domain changed at random for reasons unknown. 1. I never let the domain expire nor was it due for renewal, 2. I purchased it from someone here on namepros and it's someone I purchased a few names from with no issues, 3. it was all registered with godaddy & it was a quick and simple transfer, 4. the domain was renewed for a while.

The original registration date was 2005, now it's 2016 for reasons unknown.
The domain is sanjosegold.com

Again, I am not sure what happened. I updated the WHOIS contact information but that should not affect the original registration date. One of the main reasons for my purchasing this domain was due to the original registration date.

Please help! :xf.cry::xf.cry::grumpy::grumpy:

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
You can get it sorted out by contacting icann.

•••
You can get it sorted out by contacting icann.
It seems, domain is dropped for sometime and verified on domain tools. It has 2 registries with 1 drop so no need to contact the icann.

I would always recommend to do more homework before purchasing the domain name. But it's a decent name. I wish you all the best

•••
Looks like it dropped over the years in 2016 and in 2008 so if anything the date would only be accurate at 2016 which is what it currently shows
http://www.hosterstats.com/historicaldns.php?domain=sanjosegold.com

Where did you verify the original registration dates?

Still a decent domain irrespective of date
It seems, domain is dropped for sometime and verified on domain tools. It has 2 registries with 1 drop so no need to contact the icann.

I would always recommend to do more homework before purchasing the domain name. But it's a decent name. I wish you all the best

When I originally purchased the domain from the individual on namepros, it had a date of 2005 and it remained for many months up until I recently checked again and the age changed. It's certainly a great domain but I would like it to retain its original registration date. I verified it through GoDaddy WHOIS & NetworkSulotions WHOIS before purchasing it. Those are the two main WHOIS tools I used more than anything.

This is very odd. Should I, or should I not try to get it resolved with ICANN? When you say it dropped, you mea someone re-registered it after it fully fell from backorder status?

•••
When I originally purchased the domain from the individual on namepros, it had a date of 2005 and it remained for many months up until I recently checked again and the age changed. It's certainly a great domain but I would like it to retain its original registration date. I verified it through GoDaddy WHOIS & NetworkSulotions WHOIS before purchasing it. Those are the two main WHOIS tools I used more than anything.

This is very odd. Should I, or should I not try to get it resolved with ICANN? When you say it dropped, you mea someone re-registered it after it fully fell from backorder status?
I have verified on multiple sites and it is showing created in 2016

https://domainhistory.net/sanjosegold.com

You can contact icann if you're interested and post the updates here

•••
After extensive digging and research, I called ICANN, which is headquartered in Southern California USA (surprisingly excellent & fast customer service) but they said it would come from GoDaddy. I was able to speak to a representative from GoDaddy Domain support and he advised me to ALWAYS use WHOIS.COM and NEVER another whois, not even GoDaddy WHOIS.
According to this GoDaddy representative, the original domain information stayed cached and did not update and the individual that sold me the domain took advantage of the old information displayed in the WHOIS databases.

To get the MOST current information of ANY domain and to fully refresh in all WHOIS databases, use WHOIS.COM and there's a little blue circular 'refresh' icon on the right, after searching for a domain. Once clicked, it fully refreshes the domain with the most current information. But still doesn't answer questions and WHOIS.COM doesn't seem all official like ICANN

Screen_Shot_2017_11_06_at_4_17_11_PM.png

I never knew about this. I am completely blown away. Never knew this existed. Regardless, it doesn't answer all the questions because even so, the individual that sold me the domain... even if he were to register it after it fully expired in 2016, WHOIS databases had his information but failed to update the registration date? It would have had to update to even show my new contact information, which it did, after he transferred it to me. Still doesn't make sense. It sounds like there's just excuses flying all over. I purchased the domain November 2016 & it showed Registration date as 2005, I checked again in July 2017 and WHOIS still showed Registration date of 2005. Now, it shows 2016. Doesn't make sense.

I tried using this feature on WHOIS.COM and it seems to NOT work, as the GoDaddy representative suggested. I just emailed GoDaddy again and will wait for their official response.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Nothing makes sense! The WHOIS information would have had to update numerous times (nameservers/dns change, new ownership change, etc).

I think the GoDaddy representative was just talking, just to talk and realistically had no clue and refused to forward the information to appropriate parties for further in-depth investigation. I will post more information as I receive it from GoDaddy.

Last edited:
•••
Thanks for following up @namesquare - that really is a bummer, thinking the domain had more age

In addition to using a non-cached whois tool, HosterStats is a good backup because it will show history with Deleted status and as a bonus the operator is here on NP @jmcc

Agree with @BuyBrandWeb.com that it is a good domain anyway

•••
Looks like a reegistration in its past. It also has a history of moving between PPC parking hosters/nameservers. When a domain name is transferred between registrars, it will generally keep its original registration date but if a domain name is deleted and caught by a dropcatcher, the registration date is the date on which the dropcatcher registered it. It looks odd but cached whois data can be unreliable though the whois websites generally pull the current whois record from the relevant registrar. In this case, the current registrar is Godaddy.

Regards...jmcc

•••
Yes, some sites are showing cached data that may be very outdated and misleading.
The registry has the correct dates:
Code:
Domain Name: SANJOSEGOLD.COM
Registry Domain ID: 2070660910_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.godaddy.com
Registrar URL: http://www.godaddy.com
Updated Date: 2017-09-21T20:30:46Z
Creation Date: 2016-11-01T08:41:48Z
Registry Expiry Date: 2019-11-01T08:41:48Z
Registrar: GoDaddy.com, LLC
Registrar IANA ID: 146
http://registrar.verisign-grs.com/w...erisign.com/domain-names/whois&language=en_US

The name indeed seems to have dropped in 2016:

•••
Yes, some sites are showing cached data that may be very outdated and misleading.
The registry has the correct dates:
Code:
Domain Name: SANJOSEGOLD.COM
Registry Domain ID: 2070660910_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.godaddy.com
Registrar URL: http://www.godaddy.com
Updated Date: 2017-09-21T20:30:46Z
Creation Date: 2016-11-01T08:41:48Z
Registry Expiry Date: 2019-11-01T08:41:48Z
Registrar: GoDaddy.com, LLC
Registrar IANA ID: 146
http://registrar.verisign-grs.com/w...erisign.com/domain-names/whois&language=en_US

The name indeed seems to have dropped in 2016:
It's very strange because it had an original registration date of 2005 when I purchased it, and had it all through much of 2017. Suddenly the date changed. It's so odd and I am not sure or certain why that happened in the first place.

•••
It's very strange because it had an original registration date of 2005 when I purchased it, and had it all through much of 2017. Suddenly the date changed. It's so odd and I am not sure or certain why that happened in the first place.

No the Whois date did not change in 2017.
The Whois tool/ website you used to check the Whois data finally update to the correct value in 2017.

•••
Nothing makes sense! The WHOIS information would have had to update numerous times (nameservers/dns change, new ownership change, etc).

I think the GoDaddy representative was just talking, just to talk and realistically had no clue and refused to forward the information to appropriate parties for further in-depth investigation. I will post more information as I receive it from GoDaddy.

Sure, the actual Whois information would have updated, but that says nothing about the Whois tool you used, which may NOT have been updated. It is somewhat known that some 3rd party lookup tools cache their Whois information for "some time" before updating it. If that is the case, you could look up the Whois record on two sites and get 2 sets of information, only one of them being correct (the other being cached).

I'd say GoDaddy probably gave you the correct info, (which is the same as the info several people here have provided), the domain dropped and was registered again in November 2016.

Samuel L Dotson

•••
Even on WHOIS you have to be careful. Normally the info will automatically update when you consult it. But sometimes for some reason it does not.

This is just an example of a random domain. You see it show "Updated 648 days ago". When that happens, you have to click the update button yourself to get the new info.

upload_2017-11-11_14-23-32.png

•••
The original registration date was 2005, now it's 2016 for reasons unknown.
The domain is sanjosegold.com
Ok as per your saying date is 2005,
as per icann whois record it says 2016

But when did you purchased sanjosegold.com and what type of records you have ?

If you transferred the domain from different registrar to your registrar (godaddy) you will be having invoice copy on your mail and successfully renewal mail, so collect those records and contact godaddy and at same time contact icann also with your issues, so that they can cross check with your valid documents

•••
Ok as per your saying date is 2005,
as per icann whois record it says 2016

But when did you purchased sanjosegold.com and what type of records you have ?

If you transferred the domain from different registrar to your registrar (godaddy) you will be having invoice copy on your mail and successfully renewal mail, so collect those records and contact godaddy and at same time contact icann also with your issues, so that they can cross check with your valid documents
Thanks for the additional information. I haven't heard from GoDaddy. I will reach out to them again & ask for an explanation because this is insane. I never seen or had this happened and I've purchased thousands of domains.

•••
If you are really interested you can buy a full WHOIS history of the domain for 3$ at reg.com/reg.ru.

•••
If you are really interested you can buy a full WHOIS history of the domain for 3$ at reg.com/reg.ru.
I don't think I would need that; however, GoDaddy has a full transcript of the domains history, I am sure.

•••
Well then what would you need?

Its clear what happened, a cache needed clearing. If you are interested in the specific dates of registration and drop times then you need whois history. Godaddy does NOT have a full transcript of the domain history for you, even if you are sure ;).

•••
Thanks for the additional information. I haven't heard from GoDaddy. I will reach out to them again & ask for an explanation because this is insane. I never seen or had this happened and I've purchased thousands of domains.
Before you contact godaddy, take a screenshot of everything and raise a ticket with those images,

when whois date itself they changed by error, why not they delete your old record itself....:xf.wink:

so show your email screenshot also and make them understand that you have valid proof...the same report to icann, so that they will work little fast on this issue...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back