Dynadot

Can a new TLD domain become a "premium" after registered?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

brianbrytus

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
If I bought one of the new gTLD domain names at the standard rate, can they suddenly declare it a "premium" name and make the renewal hundreds of dollars for that specific name? Does this ever happen? I think I heard something

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It happened to someone around here very recently. It was a .xyz domain they had developed and then suddenly the fee shot up to thousands a year.

Someone else already mentioned uniregistry did it with a whole bunch of their names too.

It absolutely can happen.

I heard about this happening as well. But I think the example you are thinking off is zero dot xyz which was premium from the start, but still surprised the owner at renewal time.

•••
•••
there are many examples where this happened, see Minds and Machines, .ooo registry, .xyz numerics, etc...

we probably learn only about some cases, not all.

As for Uniregistry, they intended to raise all renewals so it was simply a renewal fee increase but some extensions went from $xx to $xxx a year so they had more less premium priced the entire extension. I dont see how this is better. After getting a lot of complaints and GD dropping them they decided not to increase renewals for domains that were already registered but they could have if they wanted to so there is no doubt that it could happen again in the future.

the more short term thinking prevails and the less reputation they have to lose the more likely you will see this happening IMO.

Last edited:
•••
.Xyz numerics was a different story. They were released by mistake at normal fee, but taken back two days afterwards, with a refund. This happened to me with 150.xyz and some other name.

Please add sources to your stories.

•••
•••
Please refer to the blue links as sources.

•••
I don’t doubt it at all, but could you please provide a source?

It was indeed the zero.xyz thread @promo has already pointed that out on my behalf. The uniregistry stuff has been very well documented.

•••
It was indeed the zero.xyz thread @promo has already pointed that out on my behalf.

Ok, so that was just a guy who did not know he had bought a premium name from someone than?! This is exactlly why I am asking for sources.

•••
Well you have two examples with sources that you conveniently chose not to respond to.

Regarding zero . xyz no he did not buy it from someone. He regged it himself and simply did not realise it was the yearly price instead of a single premium payment.

•••
Well you have two examples with sources that you conveniently chose not to respond to.

Regarding zero . xyz no he did not buy it from someone. He regged it himself and simply did not realise it was the yearly price instead of a single premium payment.

I am totally aware that this has happened. The .ooo thing was just sickening. Still, I was just asking for sources, which you, but not everyone, were providing!

The zero .xyz case incident was simply not an incident, but lack of knowledge.

Last edited:
•••
the thing is that it is almost guaranteed to happen because it is perfectly legal to do so.

if we were to make robbery legal we would see a specific increase in that type crime too.

•••
Premium-priced - maybe yes. Premium - maybe no.

•••
I can mainly speak for myself and it has not yet happened with any of the ≈1250 new gTLDs that I have owned, since the launch of .today in very early 2014.

So either I am lucky, or this is rare...
The same here. If I would discover that someone just changed my standard renewal for names I am holding and attached a premium price to any of them, that would really piss me off. But that has not happened and I am not hearing any stories like it.

The stories posted here so far are related to pricing glitches, which happened early on and were discussed in many threads already. Those glitches were unlucky and certainly are not helping new gTLDs, but those are rare exceptions. Consider we have around 20 mil new gTLD names registered at the moment, and around 200 max reported glitches like in links above...let's make it 10x more, to be generous, so they are 2000 instead. We then still have ratio of 1:10 000, which means: statistically 1 domain from 10 000 registered new gTLD domains have some problem, as described above.
That also explains why I have not experienced it yet - I own only +-1000 of new gTLD domains, so I would need to have 10 times more domains, to possibly see one such case :)

•••
The same here. If I would discover that someone just changed my standard renewal for names I am holding and attached a premium price to any of them, that would really piss me off. But that has not happened and I am not hearing any stories like it.

The stories posted here so far are related to pricing glitches, which happened early on and were discussed in many threads already. Those glitches were unlucky and certainly are not helping new gTLDs, but those are rare exceptions. Consider we have around 20 mil new gTLD names registered at the moment, and around 200 max reported glitches like in links above...let's make it 10x more, to be generous, so they are 2000 instead. We then still have ratio of 1:10 000, which means: statistically 1 domain from 10 000 registered new gTLD domains have some problem, as described above.
That also explains why I have not experienced it yet - I own only +-1000 of new gTLD domains, so I would need to have 10 times more domains, to possibly see one such case :)

Still, these threads might be productive, as I am positive that some registries will notice them. Even if their focus is not on domainers, bad publicity is just ...bad.

•••
Still, these threads might be productive, as I am positive that some registries will notice them. Even if their focus is not on domainers, bad publicity is just ...bad.
Definitely, I agree 100%!

•••
268ff7c463b84881cf76bb660afb0afa.jpg

•••
•••
•••
Really nice graphics. And were are the tombs we have seen in similar threads also, with "RIP new gTLD program" all over it? When we are done with arguments and boring numbers and statistics, lets go little flashy :)

•••
No such tombs for me, I'm maybe even stronger ngTLD believer than you :xf.wink:

Just it was so funny and related to the topic that I couldn't resist.

•••
Registry agreement
Source: https://newgtlds.icann.org/sites/default/files/agreements/agreement-approved-09jan14-en.htm
Pricing for Registry Services.
(a)
With respect to initial domain name registrations, Registry Operator shall provide
ICANN and each ICANN accredited registrar that has executed the registry-registrar agreement for the
TLD advance written notice of any price increase (including as a result of the elimination of any refunds,
rebates, discounts, product tying or other programs which had the effect of reducing the price charged to
registrars, unless such refunds, rebates, discounts, product tying or other programs are of a limited
* Final text will be posted on ICANN website; agreement reference to be replaced by hyperlink.
4DRAFT NEW GTLD REGISTRY AGREEMENT
duration that is clearly and conspicuously disclosed to the registrar when offered) of no less than thirty
(30) calendar days. Registry Operator shall offer registrars the option to obtain initial domain name
registrations for periods of one to ten years at the discretion of the registrar, but no greater than ten years.
(b)
With respect to renewal of domain name registrations, Registry Operator shall
provide ICANN and each ICANN accredited registrar that has executed the registry-registrar agreement
for the TLD advance written notice of any price increase (including as a result of the elimination of any
refunds, rebates, discounts, product tying, Qualified Marketing Programs or other programs which had the
effect of reducing the price charged to registrars) of no less than one hundred eighty (180) calendar days.
Notwithstanding the foregoing sentence, with respect to renewal of domain name registrations: (i)
Registry Operator need only provide thirty (30) calendar days notice of any price increase if the resulting
price is less than or equal to (A) for the period beginning on the Effective Date and ending twelve (12)
months following the Effective Date, the initial price charged for registrations in the TLD, or (B) for
subsequent periods, a price for which Registry Operator provided a notice pursuant to the first sentence of
this Section 2.10(b) within the twelve (12) month period preceding the effective date of the proposed
price increase; and (ii) Registry Operator need not provide notice of any price increase for the imposition
of the Variable Registry-Level Fee set forth in Section 6.3. Registry Operator shall offer registrars the
option to obtain domain name registration renewals at the current price (i.e. the price in place prior to any
noticed increase) for periods of one to ten years at the discretion of the registrar, but no greater than ten
years.
(c)
In addition, Registry Operator must have uniform pricing for renewals of
domain name registrations (“Renewal Pricing”). For the purposes of determining Renewal Pricing, the
price for each domain registration renewal must be identical to the price of all other domain name
registration renewals in place at the time of such renewal, and such price must take into account universal
application of any refunds, rebates, discounts, product tying or other programs in place at the time of
renewal. The foregoing requirements of this Section 2.10(c) shall not apply for (i) purposes of
determining Renewal Pricing if the registrar has provided Registry Operator with documentation that
demonstrates that the applicable registrant expressly agreed in its registration agreement with registrar to
higher Renewal Pricing at the time of the initial registration of the domain name following clear and
conspicuous disclosure of such Renewal Pricing to such registrant, and (ii) discounted Renewal Pricing
pursuant to a Qualified Marketing Program (as defined below). The parties acknowledge that the purpose
of this Section 2.10(c) is to prohibit abusive and/or discriminatory Renewal Pricing practices imposed by
Registry Operator without the written consent of the applicable registrant at the time of the initial
registration of the domain and this Section 2.10(c) will be interpreted broadly to prohibit such practices.
For purposes of this Section 2.10(c), a “Qualified Marketing Program” is a marketing program pursuant
to which Registry Operator offers discounted Renewal Pricing, provided that each of the following
criteria is satisfied: (i) the program and related discounts are offered for a period of time not to exceed
one hundred eighty (180) calendar days (with consecutive substantially similar programs aggregated for
purposes of determining the number of calendar days of the program), (ii) all ICANN accredited registrars
are provided the same opportunity to qualify for such discounted Renewal Pricing; and (iii) the intent or
effect of the program is not to exclude any particular class(es) of registrations (e.g., registrations held by
large corporations) or increase the renewal price of any particular class(es) of registrations. Nothing in
this Section 2.10(c) shall limit Registry Operator’s obligations pursuant to Section 2.10(b).

•••
never happened to me... it depends on "where" you register your new G's

•••
•••
Last edited:
•••
Thanks, was not aware of this article. So for entertainment and to see I went to see if Quarter.Horse was registered. According to Icann whois, 12-15-2017 somebody did, a couple days before you posted.

For those of you referring to the XYZ clawback above, here is the thread about this XYZ registry.

https://www.namepros.com/threads/alert-xyz-registry-stealing-back-newly-registered-numerics.1022280/
I believe they may have reshifted strategies, and put a one time premium price, and a $36 annual renewal on the domain, but not sure, they have reverted back to just a level 2 premium, one step above reg fee.

2015 were better days for the registries, a lot of them have shifted business strategies including Uniregistry which had hundreds of thousands of domains reserved, they tested it thru there sales channel for a few years, and realized the sales were not coming. So these were there better level domains, so they just put a premium on them, and released them all because the sales model was not working.

So if the sales model doesn't work for the registry, how can it work for the domainer?

There will be guys hussling a few $xxx sales here, and there, but if you really start to build a portfolio, you are going to get stuck with to much inventory, no sell thru, and high renewal. It's been tried, email Berkens, he spent a lot of money, he will give you the straight up if you talk to him nicely.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back