Dynadot

Can a new TLD domain become a "premium" after registered?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

brianbrytus

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
If I bought one of the new gTLD domain names at the standard rate, can they suddenly declare it a "premium" name and make the renewal hundreds of dollars for that specific name? Does this ever happen? I think I heard something

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Each registrar and register is different, so you should be familiar with their Terms of Service to be sure.

•••
If I bought one of the new gTLD domain names at the standard rate, can they suddenly declare it a "premium" name and make the renewal hundreds of dollars for that specific name? Does this ever happen? I think I heard something

For the exact answer it will be best to send this question to the registry! :)

•••
No, in my best knowledge, after you buy it, they can not do it, as far as you hold it and pay renewals. I have never heard of case which would indicate otherwise. If anyone heard or experienced something else, give some examples :)

It can happen, of course, that AFTER you drop your domain, registry can then hold it back, re-price it (so they can make it premium if the wish to do so) and then release it back as available to register with new, premium price.

•••
Everything is subject to change.

https://domainnamewire.com/2017/03/13/frank-schilling-explains-price-hike-dnw-podcast-127/

https://www.namepros.com/threads/un...es-to-decrease-in-price.1010393/#post-6079497

Search the the threads here.
GoDaddy and Namecheap withdrew support for some. XYZ made clawbacks from one Namepros member claiming they were software mistakes.

https://www.namepros.com/threads/al...wly-registered-numerics.1022280/#post-6185457

Search around, there are surprises everywhere.

https://www.namepros.com/threads/b-ag.910231/

Look at the recent B.Ag thread its a ccTld, so those all have their own rules.
https://www.namepros.com/threads/ag-registry-is-taking-7-years-old-ag-domain-away-from-me-holds-many-other-ag-domains-hostages.1055001

Stick with .Com, .net and .org.

Last edited:
•••
It doesn't really matter if the domain is labeled "Premium" or not, the main concern is PRICE INCREASES CAN HAPPEN EXPONENTIALLY with the new extensions.

•••
Well if it's a truly good domain, and it's available at reg price right now, just register and renew it for the next 5-10 years and you'll be fine even they change the pricing tomorrow :xf.grin:

•••
u should be happy to get it at regular rate
now u have the chance to sell it

•••
The registry has the power to do many things including raising the price to a premium price, they don’t need to notify you, just the register.

•••
No, in my best knowledge, after you buy it, they can not do it, as far as you hold it and pay renewals. I have never heard of case which would indicate otherwise. If anyone heard or experienced something else, give some examples :)

It can happen, of course, that AFTER you drop your domain, registry can then hold it back, re-price it (so they can make it premium if the wish to do so) and then release it back as available to register with new, premium price.
Your facts are incorrect, read your TOS

Mind and machines did it

Last edited:
•••
•••
Yes.

It has happened to lots of people.

•••
Unregistry did it. See .hosting, .guitar, etc.

•••
•••
It hasn't happened yet. There were some instances where domains were taken back by some registries due to incorrect pricing by the registrar.

Uniregistry was planning on increasing the renewals of all domains but then changed their mind after seeing the effect that decision had on their company's reputation. Instead, they only increased the asking renewal price of unregistered domains.

If the name you're planning to register is in one of Donuts tlds then you're safe. They are the biggest company in the space with a sound business plan that "recognizes" the value of domain investors in growing their ecosystem.

Of course, no one can predict the future and when there are no strict policies about massive renewal increases everything is possible but it is very unlikely something like this to happen given that even the most unreliable registries haven't done so yet.

•••
even for Donuts domains?
Yes, Donuts domains can increase. However, they have mentioned in the past that they don't intend to go that direction. Although, business plans change often in new markets and there is nothing to hold them back if they choose to increase renewal prices at a later date.

•••
•••
Guys, the initial question of OP was clear - can it happen, that domain he holds and has standard renewal attached to it, will change, and it will suddenly have premium renewal attached to it by registry decision (which can be btw higher or lower then standard renewal for given extension), while he still holds the domain name....

And the answer is that this can NOT happen. If you disagree, please give 1 example of when that happened. I am not aware of any single example like that, and would like to learn if there is any.

Thread becomes imho uninformative, as some members are putting here some other information, regarding hikes in prices of standard renewals, etc. This is all true, prices of standard renewals can increase or decrease if registry decides so, as all of us know very well, but this has nothing to do with initial question ... if someone is new to this, he must be totally confused from the information he was given in this thread.

For @Internet.Domains, whether name has attached standard or premium renewal, this is the single most important information about new gTLD name you can have. When it is standard renewal, you can use various promotions which are very frequent in new gTLDs, and regularly can save you as much as 90% of the renewal fee. Those promotions repeat every year for some extensions, and make investing in new gTLDs very pleasant.

If your name has premium renewals attached to it, you need to understand that possibility of using transfer/renewal promotions is often very limited, for some cases non-existent. It is therefore very important to understand how to check whether your name has standard or premium renewals attached to it. I wrote some articles about it, check in my signature if you want to learn more :)

•••
Yes.

It has happened to lots of people.
No, with all the respect, it did not happen :) If it happened, please share at least one example with us.

•••
Guys, the initial question of OP was clear - can it happen, that domain he holds and has standard renewal attached to it, will change, and it will suddenly have premium renewal attached to it by registry decision (which can be btw higher or lower then standard renewal for given extension), while he still holds the domain name....

And the answer is that this can NOT happen. If you disagree, please give 1 example of when that happened. I am not aware of any single example like that, and would like to learn if there is any.

Thread becomes imho uninformative, as some members are putting here some other information, regarding hikes in prices of standard renewals, etc. This is all true, prices of standard renewals can increase or decrease if registry decides so, as all of us know very well, but this has nothing to do with initial question ... if someone is new to this, he must be totally confused from the information he was given in this thread.

For @Internet.Domains, whether name has attached standard or premium renewal, this is the single most important information about new gTLD name you can have. When it is standard renewal, you can use various promotions which are very frequent in new gTLDs, and regularly can save you as much as 90% of the renewal fee. Those promotions repeat every year for some extensions, and make investing in new gTLDs very pleasant.

If your name has premium renewals attached to it, you need to understand that possibility of using transfer/renewal promotions is often very limited, for some cases non-existent. It is therefore very important to understand how to check whether your name has standard or premium renewals attached to it. I wrote some articles about it, check in my signature if you want to learn more :)
The legal framework says it can happen, don’t confuse the past, and the future.

Take the time to read those icann contracts, don’t just make stuff up.

They can pull back names like they did with eco keyword, they can reassign prices due to pricing errors like they did with .beer, they can change your renewal from $20 to $2000 if they want, and you can’t stop them.

These guys were playing dirty, they went as far as putting up ads saying .com is dead, those 2 same principals were ousted from their company in the most embarrassing way possible 2 years later. How much advertising do you hear coming out of those programs?

They talked big, they took as money off the table as they could, and still continue to do so, but they are done burning PR money, it didn’t go as planned, I believe they were maybe 7 years to early.

I have seen guys who invested 6 figures, take a wash, and walk away.

Last edited:
•••

Please let me know what I mentioned that is incorrect and I will kindly look into it.:xf.grin:

•••
•••
I can mainly speak for myself and it has not yet happened with any of the ≈1250 new gTLDs that I have owned, since the launch of .today in very early 2014.

So either I am lucky, or this is rare...

•••
It happened to someone around here very recently. It was a .xyz domain they had developed and then suddenly the fee shot up to thousands a year.

Someone else already mentioned uniregistry did it with a whole bunch of their names too.

It absolutely can happen.

•••
It happened to someone around here very recently. It was a .xyz domain they had developed and then suddenly the fee shot up to thousands a year.

I don’t doubt it at all, but could you please provide a source?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back