Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact
Seems like we have a bunch of threads lately with people saying that the buyer pays fees. That is against Namepros and Paypal rules, trying to enforce that will result in your sales threads being closed.

If someone pms you that you need to pay fees report immediately to @Eric Lyon and a mod.

Namepros Marketplace in place for over a decade:

6.1.7. Per PayPal TOS, all transactions must have fees charged to the receiver of funds by default. One is not allowed to avoid taxes by asking for payment in the form of a gift. Sellers must either willingly accept fees or clearly include them in the price.

UPDATE:
6.1.7. Sellers are responsible for paying all transaction fees. Sellers should take fees into consideration when choosing sale prices or starting bids. Multiple sale prices and multiple starting bids may be set based on specific criteria. Learn why.

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
If you have no issue with the rules, why are you asking Namepros to reconsider policy.

Paypal charges all users, from all countries fees, different area have higher fraud rates, higher rates of doing business, paypal may charge these areas a larger fee. You should take this up with paypal, not namepros management.

You are essentially your own choir.

Hey, do you even understand the meaning when you read something? Let the NP management take a call on it, the call was to them. Don't try to represent them just because you feel so!!

I don't get it, educate me

I think that's why I suggested: USE THE DICTIONARY.

•••
Hey, do you even understand the meaning when you read something? Let the NP management take a call on it, the call was to them. Don't try to represent them just because you feel so!!

I think that's why I suggested: USE THE DICTIONARY.

Maybe if you took the time to read post 1 by the mod you would understand better the situation.

--->

6.1.7. Per PayPal TOS, all transactions must have fees charged to the receiver of funds by default. One is not allowed to avoid taxes by asking for payment in the form of a gift. Sellers must either willingly accept fees or clearly include them in the price.

•••
How would someone include the paypal fees in an auction?
We recommend that all auctions begin at a starting price that the seller is happy to accept, including consideration of fees.

As per Alexa, NamePros.com gets its 25% traffic from India compared to only 7% from US
Alexa's data are estimates.

The real data comes from Google Analytics, which shows:
  • 35% of traffic is from the United States
  • 10% is from India.
The United States still accounts for the majority of traffic on NamePros, but traffic from India is growing.

6.1.7. Sellers are responsible for paying all transaction fees. Sellers should take fees into consideration when choosing a sale price or starting bid.

UPDATE: Rule above updated again for clarity.

We'll let other websites enforce their own TOS. The rule has been updated as shown above.

The goal of our policies is to provide a positive user experience according to what we believe is fair, easy to understand, and will create a pleasant experience for members.

Last edited:
•••
wow ok I understand both sides. Yes paypal charges 3% or higher fees plus some addition amount $0.30 etc depending on where you live. The simple solution would be to include the fee percentage into your auction price. However for some that might scare away some buyers. So maybe a note should be made in the auction explaining that the price reflects included paypal fees. Just my 2 cents

•••
Funny, earlier when I asked Eric about the buyer paying fees?
He said yes, it is the rule if the seller says the buyer pays the paypal fees, the buyer must pay!
In reply to a pm about this, here is Eric's answer:

As you can see in the quote above & your quote, it says Gift payments are not allowed and that a seller can ask for fee's as long as it's clearly stated in the sales thread. otherwise, by default the seller has to pay them.

So what is being said now?
Means that what Eric told me is null and void?
Am I correct?

•••
Seems like it should be negotiated in the deal. Sometimes buyer pays, sometimes seller pays, sometimes they split, You know like the real world.

•••
wow ok I understand both sides. Yes paypal charges 3% or higher fees plus some addition amount $0.30 etc depending on where you live. The simple solution would be to include the fee percentage into your auction price. However for some that might scare away some buyers. So maybe a note should be made in the auction explaining that the price reflects included paypal fees. Just my 2 cents
You totally lost me. Sure, the starting price can factor in fee "losses". Past that, prices (bids) obviously are above and beyond and competing against other bidders. No further explanation necessary.

Bidders, buyers and sellers all should start actually reading rules and stop making up and trying to enforce their own. Sellers in particular who insist on continuing to do so should be shown the door.

•••
You totally lost me. Sure, the starting price can factor in fee "losses". Past that, prices (bids) obviously are above and beyond and competing against other bidders. No further explanation necessary.

Bidders, buyers and sellers all should start actually reading rules and stop making up and trying to enforce their own. Sellers in particular who insist on continuing to do so should be shown the door.

I was just explaining both sides points and giving solutions.

•••
No paypal fees has been in place at Namepros for a long time well before present management, back in the day there were some buyers who reported sellers to Paypal, then those sellers complained that Paypal suspended their account. It was easy to prove for the buyer as they had statements made in a public thread and private messages.

There is a cost to doing business, the notion that someone wants to run a domain business, but have 0 costs related to running that business is naive. When you walk into a store and buy a coffee and bagel and use your credit card the store incurs a fee for accepting the payment. In a lot of smaller stores around me they say to use a card the transaction has to be min $10.

•••
He said yes, it is the rule if the seller says the buyer pays the paypal fees, the buyer must pay!

As you can see in the quote above & your quote, it says Gift payments are not allowed and that a seller can ask for fee's as long as it's clearly stated in the sales thread. otherwise, by default the seller has to pay them.

Am I correct?

I am surprised @Eric Lyon would have said that regarding Paypal, rule has been in effect forever here.

•••
I don't understand how asking the buyer to take care of costs and not paying taxes are related..sorry. To me it sounds like a nonsense.

I can take care of costs if I buy a domain and I want to use it a strong point to size the deal and after I pay via paypal the seller still has to pay taxes. The transaction is recorded and the seller would still have a business that has costs.

I have been paid costs many times when I sold and paid them when I bought; frankly I don not see any problem with it.

•••
I am surprised @Eric Lyon would have said that regarding Paypal, rule has been in effect forever here.
I think this should be clarified. Do the rules apply? Do they apply only sometimes?

•••
I think this should be clarified. Do the rules apply? Do they apply only sometimes?

Jee Forge..your avatar is something!!! You always cheer me up!!!!

•••

Not to my knowledge and as I said the buyer always has the option to go straight to Paypal.

•••

Am I correct?
Please reread my last post. It clearly said that:
We'll let other websites enforce their own TOS. The rule has been updated as shown above.
Meaning the rule was recently updated to what you see now, this:
6.1.7. All transactions must have fees charged to the receiver of funds. Sellers must either willingly accept fees or clearly include them in the price.
Hope that helps,

•••
Please reread my last post. It clearly said that:
Meaning the rule was recently updated to what you see now, this:
6.1.7. All transactions must have fees charged to the receiver of funds. Sellers must either willingly accept fees or clearly include them in the price.
Hope that helps,

The last part of that line is a bit tricky, as I see many domain auctions at namepros

The closing auction price would automatically have fees included, or are sellers supposed to write a disclaimer saying add 3% to final auction bid price?

Last edited:
•••
The last part of that line is a bit tricky, as I see many domain auctions at namepros

The closing auction price would automatically have fees included, or are sellers supposed to right a disclaimer saying add 3% to final auction bid price?
It means that at the time of the sales listing and prior to any bids, all fee's must be disclosed to a potential buyer if there is intent to have a buyer pay the fee's. Clarification is important. You can call it a disclaimer or a guideline. ;)

Last edited:
•••
Why even bother with the rule, if it's purportedly to prevent a seller from circumventing tax liabilities? To allow recovering fees from buyers under "certain circumstances" makes the rule pointless IMO.

•••
" clearly include them in the price. "

What does that mean? That you have to say " 5% add to winning price " or something like that?

•••
" clearly include them in the price. "

What does that mean? That you have to say " 5% add to winning price " or something like that?
Not all processors charge the same fee. I think that it would be adequate to state the payment method and next to it something like "Buyer pays fee's" or "Winner pays fee's" . Other than that, you'll need to reference the payment method source (Escrow.com, Paypal, etc.) to get updated on their current fee structure and rules to make sure you are complying with them.

As stated before, NamePros can only enforce it's own rules and is not authorized to enforce anyone elses terms of use. That is between the buyer and the seller to work out.

Hope that helps,

Outdated. See the update: https://www.namepros.com/posts/5101586/

Last edited:
•••
Not all processors charge the same fee. I think that it would be adequate to state the payment method and next to it something like "Buyer pays fee's" or "Winner pays fee's" . Other than that, you'll need to reference the payment method source (Escrow.com, Paypal, etc.) to get updated on their current fee structure and rules to make sure you are complying with them.

As stated before, NamePros can only enforce it's own rules and is not authorized to enforce anyone elses terms of use. That is between the buyer and the seller to work out.

Hope that helps,

So the rule has been changed right? Because I have been messaged by mods when I clearly stated that,referring to PP payment, buyer should have paid the fees.
I just need to understand properly, please.
Are we now allowed to say buyers pay the fees even when referred to Paypal? Thanks

•••
So the rule has been changed right? Because I have been messaged by mods when I clearly stated that,referring to PP payment, buyer should have paid the fees.
Are we now allowed to say buyers pay the fees even when referred to Paypal? Thanks
This is a slippery slope, as fees is such an undefined term, one guy wanted 5% premium for paypal before, which was about a 2% premium.

Basically people are just going to continue to do what they do, for the most part I would say 95% of people do not care, one guy refunded a $300 paypal payment, because I miscalculated the paypal fee by $1.14.

So I basically had to submit payment twice, and wait for refund from paypal, and I was nice enough to cover fees, before I found out about this rule, now the rule seems tweaked once more.

•••
Please refer to my previous posts, I think I answered this one already.

Thanks,

•••
So, my take so far.....
If the seller says the buyer must pay extra,.....that is okay.

That would be like my grocery store saying:
You the buyer of our products we sell here will have to pay extra because we have checkers.

It should be stated IN BOLD....either there are fees for a buyer, or NO fees for a buyer.
No in between, no saying up to seller...

•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back