Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact
Seems like we have a bunch of threads lately with people saying that the buyer pays fees. That is against Namepros and Paypal rules, trying to enforce that will result in your sales threads being closed.

If someone pms you that you need to pay fees report immediately to @Eric Lyon and a mod.

Namepros Marketplace in place for over a decade:

6.1.7. Per PayPal TOS, all transactions must have fees charged to the receiver of funds by default. One is not allowed to avoid taxes by asking for payment in the form of a gift. Sellers must either willingly accept fees or clearly include them in the price.

UPDATE:
6.1.7. Sellers are responsible for paying all transaction fees. Sellers should take fees into consideration when choosing sale prices or starting bids. Multiple sale prices and multiple starting bids may be set based on specific criteria. Learn why.

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Thank you for take care of us (namepros members)

•••
•••
Thanks for bringing this into light. I've had instances wherein I, as the buyer, was asked to pay Paypal fees.

•••
Thanks for this.

Some sellers ask for 4% fees. PayPal doesn't charge that amount even if buyer chooses to pay the fee. They charge lower percentage.

•••
Not true, depends on country. Mine is 4.4 + 30 cents.
Thanks for this.

Some sellers ask for 4% fees. PayPal doesn't charge that amount even if buyer chooses to pay the fee. They charge lower percentage.

•••
Thank You, for informing the community

•••
Though this is a stated rule at this forum, I find it absurd. How would someone include the paypal fees in an auction?

Any forum's first priority should be to address the concerns of its majority traffic members, otherwise people begin to turn away. As per Alexa, NamePros.com gets its 25% traffic from India compared to only 7% from US. (http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/namepros.com) Why the moderators shouldn't look into problems the majority members face with Paypal payments?

To clear payment to India, Paypal charges nearly 5% ( = 4.90%).
Now, if an Indian member runs an auction here but states upfront that 5% extra would be charged if paid through Paypal, what's wrong with that? He just doesn't want to take the 5% loss.

What happens when someone makes a payment through Escrow? The seller always, ALMOST ALWAYS, responds that it's understood that buyer pays any fees associated with the purchase.

So, IMO, the stated rule should be that ALL AUCTIONS are governed by the rules stated by the OP in the first post on the thread. If 5% extra payment is NOT STATED initially by the OP, it NEED NOT be paid by the buyer. But if it is stated, then the buyer needs to pay that!! I don't find nothing wrong with it.

@Eric Lyon, maybe you need to reconsider this policy. If Paypal starts charging you guys 5% fees in the USA, I am sure you would all be jumping mad about it.

•••
Sorry, I always stated that buyer should pay the fee. I didn't check the rules, which of course is not an excuse. From now on, I will respect the rules.

As well I would like to say, I agree with Gowebnames.com member.

If you sell domain, you are either way obligated to pay the taxes, so I really don't understand how could you avoid it by doing that? In fact, if you as a seller pay the transaction fee, your profit base is lower and therefor you pay lower tax.

p.s. I am not from states either. I was charged by paypal for more than 6%.

•••
5 percent is a very low cost of doing business. Price it into your domains.

People need to stop making, and justifying their own rules, and follow the forum rules.

•••
5 percent is a very low cost of doing business. Price it into your domains.

People need to stop making, and justifying their own rules, and follow the forum rules.

That's a very lame comment without even trying to UNDERSTAND the issue at hand, people are not making and justifying their OWN rules, they are just stating that Paypal charges them 5% fees and that that 5% fees be included over and above the auction price. And this condition of theirs is driven by a genuine situation.

Lot of auction houses do this as well, charge as much as 20% over the final price as fees. I find nothing wrong with it if stated clearly beforehand. Afterall, aren't you supposed to follow the auctioneer's rules if you want his goods?

•••
The rules are stated beforehand, just like sedo, afternic, namepros is no different except they charge 0%, and the seller absorbs a 5 percent fee if they choose to use PayPal?

Nothing lame about it, you just don't want to follow the rules, and want to make your own rules.

Sedo, afternic deduct upto 20 percent from sellers, you are crying about having to absorb 5 percent on an instant payment.

Try doing business where vendors pay every 60 days via check, and I am sure you will take the 5 percent anyday.

If you don't like it, go sell on craigslist

•••
Oh yes? Have you ever bought a domain worth more than $500 at Sedo and paid through Paypal? When you pay PAYPAL there and it's over $500, they do charge extra 3% !! If you would have ever bought one, you would have known it.

And you are no one to tell someone where to sell or where not to.
This issue needs to be thought out by the forum policy makers and moderators, let them take a call on it.
So, just don't think you can chime in and say about anything on their behalf.

•••
I don't find the rule ridiculous. It is the risk of selling a domain at the auction. When we speak about Escrow, we know the transaction is big, and the buyer, in most cases, is the end-user who needs the domain badly. However, even Escrow offers the possibility to split the fee or be paid by either seller or buyer.
But, when we speak about Paypal, we are almost sure both the buyer and the seller are resellers. So, when the seller wants to sell the domain, he has to take the risk and responsibility for the fee.

It's nothing difficult, just business. Even in real world, buyers don't pay the taxes. They pay a price and the seller has to pay the next fees.

I recommend to calm down and follow the rules... That's life :)

•••
Oh yes? Have you ever bought a domain worth more than $500 at Sedo and paid through Paypal? When you pay PAYPAL there and it's over $500, they do charge extra 3% !! If you would have ever bought one, you would have known it.

And you are no one to tell someone where to sell or where not to.
This issue needs to be thought out by the forum policy makers and moderators, let them take a call on it.
So, just don't think you can chime in and say about anything on their behalf.

I was telling you if you don't like the rules, craigslist is an exchange where you can sell by your own rules.

If your business can't afford 5 percent, maybe you should not be in business.

•••
I don't find the rule ridiculous. It is the risk of selling a domain at the auction. When we speak about Escrow, we know the transaction is big, and the buyer, in most cases, is the end-user who needs the domain badly. However, even Escrow offers the possibility to split the fee or be paid by either seller or buyer.
But, when we speak about Paypal, we are almost sure both the buyer and the seller are resellers. So, when the seller wants to sell the domain, he has to take the risk and responsibility for the fee.

It's nothing difficult, just business. Even in real world, buyers don't pay the taxes. They pay a price and the seller has to pay the next fees.

I recommend to calm down and follow the rules... That's life :)

I will say people pay $5000 through Paypal and you have $500 deals through Escrow as well. I have had both.

But who MAKES the rules? For WHOM are the rules? For the members, YES!!?
Now when an absurd rule affects the majority userbase who have a legitimate issue at hand, shouldn't that be addressed?

What's wrong with stating 5% extra payment with Paypal as a rule? I really don't find this worth debating at all.

•••
Oh wow...

I've been paying fees since the get go.

•••
I was telling you if you don't like the rules, craigslist is an exchange where you can sell by your own rules.

If your business can't afford 5 percent, maybe you should not be in business.

Don't try to make this about me vs you, It's not. Did you even try to understand the issue at hand?

Whose rules you quote for whom? By the people, for the people or By you and for you?
If people have a genuine problem, it should be addressed.

•••
I will say people pay $5000 through Paypal and you have $500 deals through Escrow as well. I have had both.

But who MAKES the rules? For WHOM are the rules? For the members, YES!!?
Now when an absurd rule affects the majority userbase who have a legitimate issue at hand, shouldn't that be addressed?

What's wrong with stating 5% extra payment with Paypal as a rule? I really don't find this worth debating at all.

I really don't think this issue affects the majority of the users. I've been paying the fees since I'm here, and there were buyers who decided themselves to cover the fees, without me asking for this.

The problem is the concept of the auction. In an auction you pay only the price you want, nothing more should be added. When I bid, I want to pay that price, and don't expect to add some additional percents to my bids.

•••
I really don't think this issue affects the majority of the users. I've been paying the fees since I'm here, and there were buyers who decided themselves to cover the fees, without me asking for this.

The problem is the concept of the auction. In an auction you pay only the price you want, nothing more should be added. When I bid, I want to pay that price, and don't expect to add some additional percents to my bids.
There are many jurisdictions that have consumer laws that forbid adding extra fees to the buyers total.

GoWebnames as for your question who makes the rules, that is the ownership, and management of namepros. You have to abide by such rules to use their exchange. If you choose not to, you are free to find another venue that supports your stance on your own value added fees to buyers.

Namepros rules do not support your opinion, so what are you going to do, leave namepros, or sell by the rules?

The choice is yours

•••

That's not really true. The concept of auction is different with different auctioneers. It's not the same everywhere. Heritage Auctions charges upto 20% over and above what you bid as a price and they state it beforehand.

What's wrong with allowing members to state a similar rule as one of their auction rules !!?

•••
If you choose not to, you are free to find another venue that supports your stance on your own value added fees to buyers.

Namepros rules do not support your opinion, so what are you going to do, leave namepros, or sell by the rules?
The choice is yours

I am not going anywhere buddy, I am right here. If you have a problem, you are welcome to talk a walk yourself.

The rules don't always stay the same, they change as most people want them to. Even constitutions change, this is just a forum. Before you started with your preaching, did you even read what I said!!? Did I say anywhere I am NOT following the current rules??

This is what I said, read it again:

@Eric Lyon, maybe you need to reconsider this policy. If Paypal starts charging you guys 5% fees in the USA, I am sure you would all be jumping mad about it.

•••
I am not going anywhere buddy, I am right here. If you have a problem, you are welcome to talk a walk yourself.

Where should I talk a walk? on a walkie talkie?

•••
•••

The rules don't always stay the same, they change as most people want them to. Even constitutions change, this is just a forum. Before you started with your preaching, did you even read what I said!!? Did I say anywhere I am NOT following the current rules??

This is what I said, read it again:

If you have no issue with the rules, why are you asking Namepros to reconsider policy.

Paypal charges all users, from all countries fees, different area have higher fraud rates, higher rates of doing business, paypal may charge these areas a larger fee. You should take this up with paypal, not namepros management.

You are essentially your own choir.

•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back