Domain Empire

"I Know How Much You Paid"

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

ezee

MoTop Member
Impact
I just like to enquire when you get enquiries on your domains asking price , and you give the person $ amount ,and they come back and say ,I know How Much You Paid?

1.How Does what you paid in Anyway Determine the Asking Price ?
2.You Can handreg for $x and sell for XXXXX ?
3.There is no big secret , latest sales are captured on many sites for sales stats.
4. Does It Mean if Someone Know's How much You paid that it Effects asking Price?

Your feedback would appreciated, was wondering if you get similar comments ,and how common this is in the marketplace

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If the buyer contacted you, then you can say whatever you want and ask for a million if you want.

If they give you that blah blah blah about "I know how much you paid"... remind them that every single domain that as sold for more then 1 million dollars in the last 25 years at one stage cost $10 or reg fee.

Relevant is the awareness of the value of the domain, then barganing is at your own discretion...

Last edited:
•••
Relevant is the awareness of the value of the domain, then barganing is at your own discretion...
You are 100% Correct ,I guess some buyers have selective amnesia as they don't seem to remember how much they paying when they hand reg to sell :)

Last edited:
•••
Actually not....they sell a lot and for huge amounts, but only because of the size of their portfolio and of course because of the quality, but they could be selling much more, only if they change their temper a little bit.
On the other hand, $100,000 today, or $200,000 5 years later is your lose. Lets say you took $100,000 5 years ago and invest $10,000 in bitcoin and $90,000 in 9 other great domains. 5 years later you could have seven figures instead of $200,000.

And I know for many average domainers who will not even reply on a $100 offer for a name that is worth $x,xxx or more. How much it takes to write "No thank you" ? 10 seconds, or less? By not responding you will definitely lose some $x,xxx and even $xx,xxx sales. Some buyers will come back later with serious offer, but some will never contact you again if you did not even reply on their low ball offer.
I have got quite a lot $100 offers but I don't respond if there is no text message included. Last week I got a $600 offer on an bodis lander without any text (only dollar amount) which I accepted but the buyer disapeared without responding. That's also not quite polite from buyers side. I don't take it personal but if the buyer wants and needs the name, believe me, he will do almost everything to get the domain.
For all the tyrekickers and lowballers I have my own medicine - the price goes only up and not down! They will have to live with it - sorry that's my style!:xf.cool:

•••
I
Actually, I disagree with most of the responses given. Since domaining is often compared to real estate, let's use that as an example. Suppose I buy a property for $100,000 and try to turn around and sell it the following week for $1 million just because I "feel" that's what it's worth. I have to justify that asking price by showing the potential buyer how I added value to the property (total renovation, etc) to justify a much higher asking price. Without that, nobody will EVER pay much more than I paid for it. People are fine with domainers earning a profit, but without clearly laying out how they have added value it's hard to justify a huge increase in the price. This is why there is so much negativity towards domainers. Domainers can't articulate the value they are adding and thus people feel they are being ripped off.
I disagree - because the seller from which I bought the name underselled it and I'm not keen at all to undersell it to the new buyer - understood?

•••
Don't waste your time with these people.

•••
Lol... maybe you should reply with a Coupon Code for Godaddy 30% off on hand registred domains...

Tell them:
"Here you go, this is a 30% discount coupon for new registrations on Godaddy, have fun!"

:xf.grin:

•••
Lol... maybe you should reply with a Coupon Code for Godaddy 30% off on hand registred domains...

Tell them:
"Here you go, this is a 30% discount coupon for new registrations on Godaddy, have fun!"

:xf.grin:
Ha ha I am stocking up on Godaddy Coupon Codes lol :xf.grin:

•••
I had a guy recently comment and tell me my cost was 10 bucks on a domain. I laughed and told him that would be correct assuming I only had one domain. There are costs associated with running a portfolio, not everything is a hand reg. There are auctions, bids, renewals, and hundreds of hours in labor trying to get just the right names.

True cost is all relative, but it still boils down to....

I have it & you want it !!

•••
I had a guy recently comment and tell me my cost was 10 bucks on a domain. I laughed and told him that would be correct assuming I only had one domain. There are costs associated with running a portfolio, not everything is a hand reg. There are auctions, bids, renewals, and hundreds of hours in labor trying to get just the right names.

True cost is all relative, but it still boils down to....

I have it & you want it !!
Absolutely :)

•••
lots of buyers just looking for domainers who need money. so when they say i know what you paid they are seeing if you would sell cheap for a little profit to see how much you need some cash...i wouldnt take that bait.
I have a buyer that comes back to me every 6 months asking for the same name he just doesnt want to pay more than 700

•••
lots of buyers just looking for domainers who need money. so when they say i know what you paid they are seeing if you would sell cheap for a little profit to see how much you need some cash...i wouldnt take that bait.
I have a buyer that comes back to me every 6 months asking for the same name he just doesnt want to pay more than 700

I had a guy come in with a low offer, didn't like my counter, responded with how the domain isn't worth anything, tried to trade me worthless domains for it saying his domains were better, had his wife send an offer but I run my own sales pages so wasn't hard to figure that out. Wen't back and forth for a bit and then I put it on ignore. He comes back once in a while but I don't respond anymore as it won't go anywhere and I've turned down 13k on it from another end user but one with a better budget and it's the #1 domain on inquiries in my entire portfolio. Only paid reg fee for it years ago but the constant monthly offers for it tells me it's gold so not a question of it will sell just a waiting game for the "right" buyer to jump up to my range. Some would call me crazy for turning down 13k on an $8 acquisition plus some years of renewal fees but the amount of offers it receives makes me think I'm only half crazy. :ROFL:

•••
Every time I see this post I keep thinking of this guy lol

Fisherman-I-Know-What-You-Did-Last-Summer-1200x778.jpg

•••
I've had a few of these. My domains are priced as they are, based on the value it can bring to the buyer. It doesnt matter if a start-up wants to purchase one or if Bill Gates wants that same name - its the same price for both.

I am always easy going and try to steer the conversation away from dead-ends so to keep the negotiations open, but......... once someone started off their first cold call email to me with "Just so you know, I know what you paid for X and I am not willing to pay you more than Y making your profit Z which is more than enough for you".

Dont you love how he knows my overhead and what profit I "deserve"?

So I looked him up and saw his company was earning 1 to 2.5 million (according to a verified manta listing) so I replied "And I know how much revenue you earned last year."

He didnt reply. I know he got it because I had tracking on the email. I didnt expect to sell it to him due to the confrontational way he started out and I still own the domain. No big deal, it only costs $8.50 to renew it. :)

•••
I've had a few of these. My domains are priced as they are, based on the value it can bring to the buyer. It doesnt matter if a start-up wants to purchase one or if Bill Gates wants that same name - its the same price for both.

I am always easy going and try to steer the conversation away from dead-ends so to keep the negotiations open, but......... once someone started off their first cold call email to me with "Just so you know, I know what you paid for X and I am not willing to pay you more than Y making your profit Z which is more than enough for you".

Dont you love how he knows my overhead and what profit I "deserve"?

So I looked him up and saw his company was earning 1 to 2.5 million (according to a verified manta listing) so I replied "And I know how much revenue you earned last year."

He didnt reply. I know he got it because I had tracking on the email. I didnt expect to sell it to him due to the confrontational way he started out and I still own the domain. No big deal, it only costs $8.50 to renew it. :)

Ditto ,I would be the same ,if someone actually approaches the offer in a light that is not confrontational I would be more negotiable to a discussion ,when they start with that attitude I just move on :)

•••
Well, I spend 3-5 minutes on politely answering that it is not important how much I paid and the domain is worth xy and that he can benefit bla bla...

In my thoughts he is an asshole, but this is business and I dont mind to spend 5 minutes which cost me only 5 minutes, if those 5 minutes could produce profit of XY.

You talk with your neighbour for more than 5 minutes, and for free. F*ck 5 minutes.

•••
I just like to enquire when you get enquiries on your domains asking price , and you give the person $ amount ,and they come back and say ,I know How Much You Paid?

1.How Does what you paid in Anyway Determine the Asking Price ?
2.You Can handreg for $x and sell for XXXXX ?
3.There is no big secret , latest sales are captured on many sites for sales stats.
4. Does It Mean if Someone Know's How much You paid that it Effects asking Price?

Your Feed back would appreciated, was wondering if you get similar comments ,and how common this is in the marketplace

I think people have issues with it because they know the markup. You don't see it as much with physcial goods because most consumers don't know the markup and domains are virtual property.
I also feel that anyone that says that is never going to actually buy the domain anyway. I haven't sold much- but I'm sure its like all other industries- 95% tire kickers.

•••
I think people have issues with it because they know the markup. You don't see it as much with physcial goods because most consumers don't know the markup and domains are virtual property.
I also feel that anyone that says that is never going to actually buy the domain anyway. I haven't sold much- but I'm sure its like all other industries- 95% tire kickers.
Thank you for your input much appreciated :)

•••
If they said "I know how much you paid", I would probably say, "That's funny...I know how much you're going to pay too." :)

Exactly that's the response you need to have. lol

•••
Tell them the price then say nothing....if you make small talk they WILL haggle you down, trust me.
Give them the price and wait, dont reply to counter offers, ignore and wait more. if they want it, really want it, they will buy it.

•••
If someone really wants your name they will pay for it. They might try and negotiate, but that is to be expected. I have never had this reply before, but there are all kinds of people in the world.

•••
Here's something I'd say, off the top of the head:

Yes, I did pay $xxx, and I would've loved to have gotten it for less if I could've, like what you want right now, Joe. I have no control over how little I paid for the domain since I acquired it at a no reserve auction and was fortunate enough to have lucked out, because I was prepared to pay a lot more than I did that day. Should those who work in our industry were in-the-know about that auction, we both know it wouldn't have went anywhere near that price.

So, if you're truly interested in this domain, $xxxx is my price. Take it or Leave it.

Last edited:
•••
Here's something I'd say, off the top of the head:

Yes, I did pay $xxx, and I would've loved to have gotten it for less if I could've, like what you want right now, Joe. I have no control over how little I paid for the domain since I acquired it at a no reserve auction and was fortunate enough to have lucked out, because I was prepared to pay a lot more than I did that day. Should those who work in our industry were in-the-know about that auction, we both know it wouldn't have went anywhere near that price.

So, if you're truly interested in this domain, $xxxx is my price. Take it or Leave it.
Well Said :xf.smile:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back