IT.COM

"I Know How Much You Paid"

NameSilo
Watch

ezee

MoTop Member
Impact
I just like to enquire when you get enquiries on your domains asking price , and you give the person $ amount ,and they come back and say ,I know How Much You Paid?

1.How Does what you paid in Anyway Determine the Asking Price ?
2.You Can handreg for $x and sell for XXXXX ?
3.There is no big secret , latest sales are captured on many sites for sales stats.
4. Does It Mean if Someone Know's How much You paid that it Effects asking Price?

Your feedback would appreciated, was wondering if you get similar comments ,and how common this is in the marketplace

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Generally, the IT 'guy' knows at least the basics of the domain game. If the boss decides to consult with him, and it was decided you probably paid reg fee for the domain, it can cement a 'low ball' situation.

•••
Until now it didn't happen to me. But I would respond like I do to "lowballers" with the example that they can buy the name in the .horse extension. :xf.cool:

•••
Until now it didn't happen to me. But I would respond like I do to "lowballers" with the example that they can buy the name in the .horse extension. :xf.cool:
lmao

•••
Many people on Namepros will give a very good advice, but mostly unusable in the most cases. Why? Because the most domain sales is in the lower range and are very often initiated by the sellers (outbounds).

If you do outbounds and want to be arrogant with your potential buyer, feel free to act like that, but dont be surprised when you will not have much sales.

The good argument is that you get lucky when you found this domain at so low price. You can tell that the seller did not realize the true value (which is often the truth). If you hand-regged that name, you can tell that you were lucky enough to catch it on a drop (potential end-users in the most case dont know how to check if that was true).

You can also do some change on your domain (like changing nameservers, unlocking it and then locking it again etc.) few days after you reg it and then it will have the update date different from the registration date. That way you can say that you purchased it from the original registrant and can tell that you paid whatever you want to say. This could be checked too, but again, the most potential end-user dont know how and where to check it.

I dont advise being arrogant when you do outbounds. If the buyer contacted you, then you can say whatever you want and ask for a million if you want.

Last edited:
•••
Many people on Namepros will give a very good advice, but mostly unusable in the most cases. Why? Because the most domain sales is in the lower range and are very often initiated by the sellers (outbounds).

If you do outbounds and want to be arrogant with your potential buyer, feel free to act like that, but dont be surprised when you will not have much sales.

The good argument is that you get lucky when you find this domain at so low price. You can tell that the seller did not realize the true value (which is often the truth). If you hand-regged that name, you can tell that you were lucky enough to catch it on a drop (potential end-users in the most case dont know how to check if that was true).

You can also do some change on your domain (like changing nameservers, unlocking it and then locking it again etc.) few days after you reg it and then it will have the update date different from the registration date. That way you can say that you purchased from the original registrant and can tell that you paid whatever you want to say. This could be checked too, but again, the most potential end-user dont know how and where to check it.

I dont advise being arrogant when you do outbounds. If the buyer contacted you, then you can say whatever you want and ask for a million if you want.

This buyer contacted me ,I do and will always treat every prospective buyer with respect and courtesy and I believe that works both ways ,however I had no intention of even discussing further with that kind of approach

•••
^ Found the I want to meet face to face to do the $50k deal" buyer... "Marshall Plan" :)

Sssshhh... Don't let that guy know the plan.:sneaky:
Been wondering though why he hasn't come yet.:xf.rolleyes:

•••
...I do and will always treat every prospective buyer with respect and courtesy....

That is the way to go!

And if he contacted you, then you can be, well, not arrogant, but confident, and you can act like you dont need him neither his money. Of course, on a polite way.

•••
That is the way to go!

And if he contacted you, then you can be, well, not arrogant, but confident, and you can act like you dont need him neither his money. Of course, on a polite way.
I am always sweet and Polite its in my Irish Genes :)

•••
If they give you that blah blah blah about "I know how much you paid"... remind them that every single domain that as sold for more then 1 million dollars in the last 25 years at one stage cost $10 or reg fee.

Tell them it's fine if they know how much you paid for it, remind them also that the fact that you guys are even having this conversation is because the domain is obviously appealing and that them contacting you should validate the level of interest in the domain. So if they are not happy to pay your price tell them they are wellcome to go try find another domain for reg fee and you will simply sell the domain to one of the next few people who enquire about it.

Obviously do this professionally and not in a disrespectful way...

Last edited:
•••
If they give you that blah blah blah about "I know how much you paid"... remind them that every single domain that as sold for more then 1 million dollars in the last 25 years at one stage cost $10 or reg fee.

Tell them it's fine if they know how much you paid for it, remind them also that the fact that you guys are even having this conversation is because the domain is obviously appealing and that them contacting you should validate the level of interest in the domain. So if they are not happy to pay your price tell them they are wellcome to go try find another domain for reg fee and you will simply sell the domain to one of the next few people who enquire about it.
I am just Going to use @Silentptnr Quote If they said "I know how much you paid", I would say, "That's funny...I know how much you're going to pay too." :) lol I love this Line :) its in my genes to be polite :)

Last edited:
•••
the only one
who really knows what I paid
am I myself

1) I pay taxes, do you?
2) I own more then 1 domain, do you?

the real cost of the domain

includes

a) your time - to find that domain for a good price
b) your eduction (time - effort - money)
c) all the domains that you had to drop - or never will make money
d) you need a healthy profit to continue business

so if he wants you to pass that domain over
he needs to compensate you for all that and more

how much did they pay for manhatten?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manhattan

According to a letter by Pieter Janszoon Schagen, Peter Minuit and Dutch colonists acquired Manhattan on May 24, 1626, from unnamed Native American people, which are believed to have been Canarsee Indians of the Lenape,[48] in exchange for trade goods worth 60 guilders,[17] often said to be worth US$24, although accounting for inflation, it actually amounts to around US$1,050 in 2014.[49]

Last edited:
•••
the only one
who really knows what I paid
am I myself

1) I pay taxes, do you?
2) I own more then 1 domain, do you?

the real cost of the domain

includes

a) your time - to find that domain for a good price
b) your eduction (time - effort - money)
c) all the domains that you had to drop - or never will make money
d) you need a healthy profit to continue business

so if he wants you to pass that domain over
he needs to compensate you for all that and more

how much did they pay for manhatten?
Absolutely Agree Frank well said :)

•••

The good argument is that you get lucky when you found this domain at so low price. You can tell that the seller did not realize the true value (which is often the truth). If you hand-regged that name, you can tell that you were lucky enough to catch it on a drop (potential end-users in the most case dont know how to check if that was true).

You can also do some change on your domain (like changing nameservers, unlocking it and then locking it again etc.) few days after you reg it and then it will have the update date different from the registration date. That way you can say that you purchased it from the original registrant and can tell that you paid whatever you want to say. This could be checked too, but again, the most potential end-user dont know how and where to check it.

I hear you but I know for a fact that some of the top domains are very arrogant and very "Say exactly what's on their mind" kind of people.

They always act like it's a sellers market, and some can be downright bullies.

They sell the most.

•••
I hear you but I know for a fact that some of the top domains are very arrogant and very "Say exactly what's on their mind" kind of people.

They always act like it's a sellers market, and some can be downright bullies.

They sell the most.

Actually not....they sell a lot and for huge amounts, but only because of the size of their portfolio and of course because of the quality, but they could be selling much more, only if they change their temper a little bit.
On the other hand, $100,000 today, or $200,000 5 years later is your lose. Lets say you took $100,000 5 years ago and invest $10,000 in bitcoin and $90,000 in 9 other great domains. 5 years later you could have seven figures instead of $200,000.

And I know for many average domainers who will not even reply on a $100 offer for a name that is worth $x,xxx or more. How much it takes to write "No thank you" ? 10 seconds, or less? By not responding you will definitely lose some $x,xxx and even $xx,xxx sales. Some buyers will come back later with serious offer, but some will never contact you again if you did not even reply on their low ball offer.

•••
Ultimately, if they want the domain, they gotta pay what you want. It's your domain, you decide its price.

You could always reply to their comment: "In that case, the price just went up!"

•••
Ultimately, if they want the domain, they gotta pay what you want. It's your domain, you decide its price.

You could always reply to their comment: "In that case, the price just went up!"
True , :)

•••
I know How Much You Paid?
Assuming that they really did know the price..
"Do you know how long and hard, I had to negotiate to get that price"

Or

(If newly regged) "Do you know how many hours were spent researching just to find that name?"

Which basically tells them that this is not your "first rodeo"..

•••
Assuming that they really did know the price..
"Do you know how long and hard, I had to negotiate to get that price"

Or

(If newly regged) "Do you know how many hours were spent researching just to find that name?"

Which basically tells them that this is not your "first rodeo"..
Exactly ,@frank-germany said it perfectly as well :)

•••
Actually, I disagree with most of the responses given. Since domaining is often compared to real estate, let's use that as an example. Suppose I buy a property for $100,000 and try to turn around and sell it the following week for $1 million just because I "feel" that's what it's worth. I have to justify that asking price by showing the potential buyer how I added value to the property (total renovation, etc) to justify a much higher asking price. Without that, nobody will EVER pay much more than I paid for it. People are fine with domainers earning a profit, but without clearly laying out how they have added value it's hard to justify a huge increase in the price. This is why there is so much negativity towards domainers. Domainers can't articulate the value they are adding and thus people feel they are being ripped off.

Last edited:
•••
Actually, I disagree with most of the responses given. Since domaining is often compared to real estate, let's use that as an example. Suppose I buy a property for $100,000 and try to turn around and sell it the following week for $1 million just because I "feel" that's what it's worth. I have to justify that asking price by showing the potential buyer how I added value to the property (total renovation, etc) to justify a much higher asking price. Without that, nobody will EVER pay much more than I paid for it. People are fine with domainers earning a profit, but without clearly laying out how they have added value it's hard to justify a huge increase in the price. This is why there is so much negativity towards domainers. Domainers can't articulate the value they are adding and thus people feel they are being ripped off.
Ok we can sure use that example ,Now lets say I a go to Real Estate Auction ,Property Valuation is $1Million Bidding starts at a $50 000 lucky for me only 3 bidders show up ,I win the Auction at $100 000 Dollars , So selling at $1000 000 is where market related value is ,now what would be so wrong with doing so even If I did not spend anything renovating the property as it was not needed :) A potential buyer has the right to give me an offer on the property and I have the right to either accept his offer or decline his offer ,he saying I will give you 200k because I missed the auction and "I know What You paid" is his loss not mine :)

Last edited:
•••
1. What you pay may not be the Market Value, you could pay a few bucks for an expired name which probably has a Market Value that is much higher.
2. Yes, but I've never done it. I've done it only with expired domains.
3. Doesn't matter.
4. No, if someone is willing to pay a certain price, that's all that counts.

•••
be patient with my english skills :

"only because we are able to get domains
at a reasonable price
and do so regularily

only because of that
you are now able
from the comfort of your home
to cherry pick
the one domain you like
for a very reasonable price

actually with the domain you have choosen
we made a mistake, it should have been
1.XXX USD ( price on page is XXX USD )

but as that was our mistake - not yours
we will keep that price tag for another week
before we correct it."

•••
be patient with my english skills :

"only because we are able to get domains
at a reasonable price
and do so regularily

only because of that
you are now able
from the comfort of your home
to cherry pick
the one domain you like
for a very reasonable price

actually with the domain you have choosen
we made a mistake, it should have been
1.XXX USD ( price on page is XXX USD )

but as that was our mistake - not yours
we will keep that price tag for another week
before we correct it."
Your English is perfect , :)

•••
I know the yearly renewal fee. If you pay what I ask you can receive the reminder.

Last edited:
•••
I know he yearly renewal fee. If you pay what I ask you can receive the reminder.
lol :) now that is a sweet one :)

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back