Epik

Bulloney Name Sale.....2K or 3.5M?

Labeled as .com in Domain Selling and Domain Sales started by ThatNameGuy, Jan 11, 2019.

Replies:
Views:

1. ThatNameGuy

ThatNameGuy Restricted Gold Account

The name AcSel that Bulloney created in 1983 for a medical billing company he started in 1977 is still trading today using the domain AcSel(.)org. The original name for the company was "Accounts Receivable Management Corporation" and Bulloney now t/a ThatNameGuy™ paid $2,000 to the ad agency that was hired to come up with a new name for the company:xf.rolleyes:

Fast forward to 2016 and Acsel(.)org was sold for 3.5M. The only question is whether the name Acsel like LasVegas(.)com that sold for 90M, is a 2K name or a 3.5M name?

For those critics who have a hard time believing, I'd recommend you visit AcSel(.)org then check out Bulloney's Linkedin bio to see when, and by who the name AcSel was created.

For more details or clarification, feel free to send a PM or see ThatNameGuy™ in nCredible Vegas the end of this month.

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. Ategy.com

Ategy.com NameCult.com Gold Account VIP

Acsel.org is a $0 name. I honestly wouldn't waste my time claiming it if someone was giving it away for free in the free domains section.

Even Acsel.com isn't a very good domain and would have a very difficult time finding a buyer at $2k. Admittedly I would take the .com for free though ... the .com would even likely get my attention if passing through expiration auctions .. but I most certainly would not have bought it at auction .. and not even at $5 closeout .. although I definitely wouldn't say the .com would be a bad closeout purchase.

The problem with the name is that it colossally fails the radio test. Also, most people will think it's either Sell or Cell way before Sel .. then before ever thinking Acsel they would even think Excel or Accel (for Acceleration).

3. .NJ

.NJ Active Member VIP

Sounds like a bunch of Bulloney....

4. DnameAgame

DnameAgame Check out the new BrandPlease.com Gold Account

selling a full blown business is VERY MUCH different than selling a fully running/monetize website which is VERY MUCH different than selling a domain name itself. Be careful and dont get confused about what makes for the total package sale. it's not apples to apples or even apples to elephants.

5. wwwweb

wwwweb Top Member VIP

Are you seriously trying to compare LasVegas.com to Acsel.org?

Any number would have to do with the underlying business, or it's accounts. Given this company dates back to 1977, and 1983, and you are bragging about acquiring acsel.org you are essentially doing yourself a misdeed if you want a pat on the back. You could have had any generic name back then regardless of brand, and you went with this .org?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  6. hawkeye

hawkeye Top Member PRO VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Definitely in the same ballpark! LasVegas is the name of the ballpark, Acsel is printed on a broken urinal in the ballpark basement. good grief.

7. ThatNameGuy

First...I never said it was a great name, and I still don't believe it is. There are ALWAYS better names, and the name I posted on the reg of the day today ZonaDaily™ is a perfect example. Remember I'm a business guy first, a marketing guy second and a domainer a distant third. I always knew I was a pretty good "name" guy, and the more I hang around this industry the more know it:xf.wink:

I did come up with the name Acsel in place of "Accounts Receivable Management Corporation", and my partner and I paid the ad agency $2,000 for it in 1983...duh! Since then I started other companies like Contact USA, InQuisitor, and more recently Domain Gourmet. I'm sure those are all crappy names to you, but I know better:xf.rolleyes:

8. ThatNameGuy

It went over your head too...I didn't buy the domain AcSel (.)org, I just came up with the "name" in 1983, and I never said I thought it was a great name. Geeesh! And the point with LasVegas. com is that it was a full blown business just like AcSel still is...even today.

9. Vito

Vito Domain Names Matter Gold Account VIP Trusted Contest Holder ★★★★★★★★★★

Your post is all over the place.

First off I can't get past the weirdness when somebody writes or talks in 3rd person...
    "The name AcSel that Bulloney created"
    Stop that.

Then I see you are letting us know you changed your UserName...
    "and Bulloney now t/a ThatNameGuy™"

Good move. Bulloney is a horrible name when trying to do Business anywhere. It is a hybrid name of 2-words - Bull$hit and Baloney. Both completely negative and untrustworthy. My advice for any future posts here or anywhere, don't even mention that horrible past UserName, if you want to me taken seriously. "That Name Guy" is 100x better. Go with that.

So from this statement here...
    "paid $2,000 to the ad agency that was hired to come up with a new name for the company"
    I see you did not create the name but you paid someone else to create that name for 2k.
    I think that was a waste of 2k. If you want to be "The Name Guy" you should have been able to come up with a hundred better names than that on your own back then.

I agree with others here. I wouldn't even spend the few minutes to have that transferred into my account if it was given to me for free. Honestly. I pass up 100 better closeouts everyday that are much better, and I drop better domains of my own than this - acsel/org

So to answer your question that is the title of your thread -
    Bulloney Name Sale.....2K or 3.5M?
    Seriously, neither. Not even $10/reg fee.

I am sorry if this sounds horribly negative but I see nothing positive here at all about this huge typo potential dot org domain, truthfully.

I will try to end on a positive note. I see 1 domain, I like a little bit in your signature. MakeSomethingHappen with your domain.

10. ThatNameGuy

11. NameDeck

NameDeck Established Member

Congrats on cashing in by selling your company! But basically, correct me if I'm wrong, you sold your company trading under a crap brand, using a mediocre domain in the worst extension for a company? That's no domain sale. You could've claimed you sold the office paper press for 3.5M as well.

12. ThatNameGuy

Actually I haven't owned the company for over 20 years, however I did start it and I did create it's name. As for the "extension", I didn't register that either, and I most likely wouldn't have. My point had a lot to do with the domain LasVegas .com selling for 90M, and it had little to do with the name, but everything to do with the business. At least I created the name AcSel, but Las Vegas has been around for a couple hundred years:xf.wink:
    At least you gave me credit for coming up with a "mediocre" name and not a crappy name. Thanks

13. hawkeye

hawkeye Top Member PRO VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Wait for it...he will.

14. alcy

alcy Active Member VIP

is bulloney the name of yer dog?

15. Kpett

Kpett Established Member

Didn't take long for ThatNameGuy (Bulloney) to become Restricted ...

16. BaileyUK

BaileyUK Established Member

Oh dear, this kind of thinking will probably come to us all. You tie-in the event/s from years ago (usually personal) and then read in some 'imaginary' consequence applicable to todays events. or surroundings

There is that word for it.

17. Internet.Domains

Internet.Domains Active Member VIP

Congrats @ThatNameGuy! Keep your head up and show yo stuff!

18. NYJimbo

NYJimbo Domain Re-Animator

Here we go again.... :xf.rolleyes:

What exactly are you trying to do here ? You kinda (hired someone else ?) came up with a name 30 years ago and you want to take credit for the success of it 30 years later ?

Can you show proof it sold for $3.5 million ? Hosterstats shows no change since 2012. Am I missing something ?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  19. NYJimbo

NYJimbo Domain Re-Animator

I dont think he sold it for 3.5 million. His post is kinda confusing.

20. ThatNameGuy

Didn't I say in my original post that if you want to know details just to send me a PM? I'm all about transparency, and Verisign is in my corner:xf.wink:

21. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes formerly MetBob NameTalent VIP

Congrats on personal rebranding to ThatNameGuy! I agree with those that say it is way more positive and appropriate.

Thanks for brief account of the business development. I agree with those that remind us that business value and domain value may be correlated but are very different things.

Re AcSel it clearly has stood the test of time. Re an .org choice for extension, it may have been ahead of the trend as we lately see more and more businesses going .org.

I hope that we can all be positive and polite in this and every thread. Honesty is important but it is equally important to let past things go and be nice.

Have a nice day everyone!

Bob

22. ThatNameGuy

Actually it's Bsicuit, and she's Mascot. I'll be carrying around an exact replica of her at Namescon just for laughs:ROFL:
    Thanks Bob...you've always been nice, and you sir are a Canadian Gentlemen. See you in Vegas(y)

23. MapleDots

MapleDots Domain Properties 2010 - 2019 VIP

I absolutely love his DomainGourmet.com in his sig.

My brain just goes to overdrive with ideas how to market that as a domaining site.

The site would look like a food blog but the dishes would be filled with domain names.
    Order from the menu, we have budget wines or vintages, what do you prefer.

Even as a blog talking about domains and set up like a food critic it makes sense. So many ways to market that domain, the only thing I can criticize about that domain is that I did not think of it first.

24. ThatNameGuy

Thanks MapleDots....i hand reg'd DomainGourmet just four months ago, and it was registered with an "end user" in mind.....yours truly:xf.wink: Prior to my registering the name, it was registered five times starting in 2000, but the name was never sold or developed:xf.frown:

Prior to registering DomainGourmet I'd registered about a half dozen names for my Marketplace, but none of them worked for me until this one. Do you remember me saying, "There's ALWAYS a better name/domain". Well, this is an example, and if given the time I could probably find a better one.

I started this thread sharing a name I created in 1983 "AcSel" that's stood the test of time. I'll share another name that I created in 1973 10 years earlier, "CreditControl". Like AcSel, this name too has stood the test of time. However, the new owners weren't able to secure the domain CreditControl(.)com, but they use CredControl(.)com for their URL today. Just as an aside, Credit Control whose legal name is Credit Control Corporation did over 10M in fee revenue in 2017. And this isn't to say I haven't named other businesses that aren't around today, but "ContactUSA" and "InQuisitorInvestigations" had their run.

Finally, I feel a little like our President, Donald J. Trump (who I didn't vote for), in that no matter what name I create and share here on NP, it will be strongly criticized. I've explained my observations about how this industry works, and to the extent Verisign is right, there will be some major changes headed our way.

I'm really looking forward to meeting some of you in Vegas in a few weeks.....Cheers!

25. frank-germany

frank-germany F1lter.com xpired domain search engine Gold Account VIP

are you talking about Edsel?

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
Topics / Tags: