Dynadot

information Brent Oxley Loses Access to Create.com, Plus Millions of Dollars Worth of His Domains

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Brent Oxley, the founder of HostGator, has been accruing a portfolio of ultra-premium domain names since he sold his hosting company for close to $300 million in 2013.

With purchases such as Give.com for $500,000, Broker.com for $375,000, and Texas.com for $1,007,500, Oxley has spent millions of dollars over the past few years accumulating this collection. According to his website, the portfolio is worth more than $25 million.

Oxley has now, however, lost access to a proportion of his portfolio

Read the full report on my blog

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Looks like the Ewebnames domains are registry locked (serverupdate prohibited), but the Oxley domains are registrar locked (clientupdateprohibited).

is this crowdsourcing btw?

Last edited:
•••
I managed to read all 39 pages, duh what a BS company GD has become!

Brent @create.com this story should have been picked by the mainstream press long ago, why wait a year to come forward? I'm pretty sure you have some sort of connections with journalists and media companies, go ahead and tell the story ffs.

GoDaddy, shame on you for doing this BS without any sort of court order, I hope Brent will sue you big time when all is done and dusted!

•••
At this point in time and having read the sparse replies actually made by GoDaddy (none of which seemed to actually either deal with the rational of why Create.com was locked or implied GoDaddy's willingness to expedite and achieve the domain being unlocked) I find that I now have absolutely no faith in GoDaddy as a company one can trust to do business with.

If you have treated Brent this way then I can only imagine how you would treat the 'little guys' in this business like myself.

•••
Does your current procedure involve notifying the registrant to inform them of a dispute when their name is locked?

Paul, I do not see how this could remotely be possible. The emails I sent to your dispute department have my signature in them, and I've even told them who I am.

"--------------------------------

http://www.oxhuntingranch.com

http://www.drivetanks.com

http://www.oxley.com

--------------------------------

"

This signature could easily be more than enough information to establish prejudices and hate towards me; hopefully, this isn't what is happening, but unless you provide more explanation, many people will assume this.

I've been very patient this last year, and in this time, I've had numerous conversations with Godaddy employees, some even in management that reached out to the dispute department to argue my case. A few of these employees have even requested to speak to me from their personal cell phones and email addresses. There has been much discussion on why I am being ignored, including the possibility of it being politically driven.

One theme most of these employees have had in common is that as soon as they'd talk to your dispute department, they stop responding to me. Godaddy has some amazing people working there, but unfortunately, there's a greater force preventing them from doing what they believe is morally and legally the right thing to do.

I've taken this long to respond to you as once again, I have hoped Aman would make this a priority and call me.

While I think we can all appreciate that @Paul Nicks is taking the time to respond, I do think it's very problematic for him to passively insinuate to GoDaddy's customers and shareholders that they're absurd conspiracy theorists, merely on the basis that they're concerned that there might be an ideological component to some of this mess. In this divisive climate, we've seen people "canceled" for a lot less, and without having all of the facts here, it's simply not out of the realm of possibility until we learn more. Given everything that we've seen over the past years, it's a very logical and reasonable concern (not a far fetched one). People have every right to worry about this being a problem.

I also agree that Paul's statement that GoDaddy's legal department, despite being directly involved and receiving communications from you, that they couldn't "possibly" know who you are is an odd thing to say. Either way, it's just a gross and likely inaccurate assumption on Paul's behalf.

Let's hope that differing ideologies are not any part of this fiasco and this is merely the result of terrible policy. Perhaps GoDaddy will learn from this, over time. However, as long as they're continually and overtly inserting themselves in social justice issues, they're going to continue to have a large % of their customer base that will accuse them of foul play or having bias against certain individuals. They're doing this to themselves. If GoDaddy (and other tech companies) are snippy and appalled about people accusing them of foul play or having bias, there's an easy solution: stop freaking virtue signaling to customers as they're simply trying to conduct business.

Last edited:
•••
Domains are Internet REAL ESTATE, your property-your house and even the President of the United States can’t just take your house without any notifications and how the hell can someone from outside USA “steal” your property without any due notice!! and not even in English and not Even in Person…..

•••
Domains are Internet REAL ESTATE, your property-your house and even the President of the United States can’t just take your house without any notifications and how the hell can someone from outside USA “steal” your property without any due notice!! and not even in English and not Even in Person…..

Domain names are not "your property". You "Lease" them for a year and then renew the "lease" for as long as you like.

Hope this helps a bit ...

•••
•••
•••
It's great that Paul has responded, however, if I was the CEO of GoDaddy, I would absolutely take 5 minutes out of my schedule to at least make a comment here. Seeing the increasing gravity of this storm, even if I wasn't able to provide answers to your questions, I'd at least show up and respond to acknowledge people's concerns. If you truly want to gain the respect of your customers, if you're all about "change" as you continually suggest on your twitter feed, then make an effort. Show that you care, or at least give the illusion that you do. If @Rob Monster can take a few minutes, you can too, Aman!

Last edited:
•••
The GoDaddy CEO doesn't care at all, and never will care. GoDaddy is just waiting for a way out. Legal won't let them release the domain after locking for a year and not having a real excuse to change their minds now. So, they looking to use the ICA as the excuse. They gonna say talking to them made them change their polices and use that as the excuse. So just gotta wait for the 3rd party ICA Excuse.

•••
Domain names are not "your property". You "Lease" them for a year and then renew the "lease" for as long as you like.

Hope this helps a bit ...

Lease rights can be considered property that can be held or sold.

You don't ever "own" your house either. Don't pay property taxes and see what happens.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Does your current procedure involve notifying the registrant to inform them of a dispute when their name is locked?

I can understand an honest mistake when you failed to notify me the first time, but how did this failure happen a second time when create.com was locked?

This is a huge issue.

Let's put the massive legal issues aside for a moment; the ones dealing with jurisdiction, courts orders (or lack of), business disputes, etc.

How can you lock many millions of dollars in domains, and not keep the registrant updated? That is a massive failure of communication on GoDaddy's part that is simply unacceptable.

If GoDaddy takes this type of action, it needs to be made clear to any registrant immediately -

1.) What action they have taken.
2.) Why they have taken it.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
This is a huge issue.

Let's put the massive legal issues aside for a moment; the ones dealing with jurisdiction, courts orders (or lack of), business disputes, etc.

How can you lock many millions of dollars in domains, and not keep the registrant updated? That is a massive failure of communication on GoDaddy's part that is simply unacceptable.

If GoDaddy takes this type of action, it needs to be made clear to any registrant immediately -

Brad
Sadly the issue is legal so it’s something GoDaddy can’t dispose nor should they..I’m not up to date my self.. the ocean is long

Last edited:
•••
This is a huge issue.

Brad

I would add:

3) How to resolve the matter quickly.

•••
•••
It's great that Paul has responded, however, if I was the CEO of GoDaddy, I would absolutely take 5 minutes out of my schedule to at least make a comment here. Seeing the increasing gravity of this storm, even if I wasn't able to provide answers to your questions, I'd at least show up and respond to acknowledge people's concerns. If you truly want to gain the respect of your customers, if you're all about "change" as you continually suggest on your twitter feed, then make an effort. Show that you care, or at least give the illusion that you do. If @Rob Monster can take a few minutes, you can too, Aman!

Maybe, the captain is no longer on the ship. It has been boarded by higher up higher ups and is now charting a new course.

•••
In this situation, I think it is a valid question to ask which domain registrars don't lock your domain like GoDaddy did?

@Paul Nicks has mentioned in his comment, other registrars like namecheap, web.com, MarkMonitor and even VeriSign, reserve the right to lock domains in response to notification of a legal dispute. So which registrars act differently in this type of situation?

We understand how important your domain names are to you. We don’t make the decision to lock or unlock any domain name lightly. GoDaddy, along with other registrars, like NameCheap, Web.com, MarkMonitor and even VeriSign, reserve the right to lock domains in response to notification of a legal dispute.

•••
Thank you @EJS, sir.
C0D7522B-241A-4F3F-80C0-F4661E4E284C.jpeg

https://domaininvesting.com/court-order-should-be-required-for-domain-lock-in-a-business-dispute/

Last edited:
•••
Now the question is... who’s going to offer something like - Domain attorney Pre-Paid Legal Services Membership (monthly or yearly fee).

What if instead of paying out hefty fees for a legal advice / help, domain investors paid a monthly membership and got a law firm so that should they need a lawyer, they aren't incompetent, -fast forward- offers a great % discount for the members that are going through the same thing ... UDRP v Registrar / Registry TOS v Complaint v Filed lawsuit v Court order.

Is not going to be cheap membership but let’s say low $xxx/y .

Last edited:
•••
domain investors paid a monthly membership and got a law firm so that should they need a lawyer
Maybe something for the ICA

•••

ICA is not going to do anything for the 👶 🍼 investors. Also, if you check CQD case , the Z attorney response was disappointing and without any DD. IMO

•••
ICA is not going to do anything for the 👶 🍼 investors. Also, if you check CQD case , the Z attorney response was disappointing and without any DD. IMO

The 👶 investors will be 🙋‍♂️💁‍♀️ investors and some will be 🥷 investors. Bad business to only cater to the 👨‍🦼 investors. What is ”CQD” and ”DD”? I deciphered the Z I think.

•••
The 👶 investors will be 🙋‍♂️💁‍♀️ investors and some will be 🥷 investors. Bad business to only cater to the 👨‍🦼 investors. What is ”CQD” and ”DD”? I deciphered the Z I think.

...Let’s say, B.Ox. is the member of ICA. What action can be taken in this case. Do we expect “internal” communication between the two ICA’ members lead by ICA board - GD v B.Ox.

DD Due Diligence
CQD .com case - search NP
Z - Z.M....

Last edited:
•••
Now the question is... who’s going to offer something like - Domain attorney Pre-Paid Legal Services Membership (monthly or yearly fee).

What if instead of paying out hefty fees for a legal advice / help, domain investors paid a monthly membership and got a law firm so that should they need a lawyer, they aren't incompetent, -fast forward- offers a great % discount for the members that are going through the same thing ... UDRP v Registrar / Registry TOS v Complaint v Filed lawsuit v Court order.

Is not going to be cheap membership but let’s say low $xxx/y .

Now that we are asking for Reforms across the whole Domain Industry, we should make sure that ICA is up to the task and that it is not driven to just protect the interests and agendas of a few, but rather that it truly is going to represent the Internet Commerce Community as a whole which also includes the Domaining Community.

ICA needs to have lawyers that can act on behalf of the whole Domaining Community and who can persuade and help ICANN to establish a set of Uniform Standards and Policies that can protect the Members, Customers, Consumers, and the Registrants Rights across the whole Domain Industry regardless of which Registrars, Registries, or Companies are involved.

The first step is to bring some transparency and accountability to ICA and then support it so that it can fight for our rights.

IMO

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back