IT.COM

BrandRoot Experience...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

gina ferrano

Established Member
Impact
Since there's a thread for Namerific and BB, I started a thread on BR. What are people's experiences?
Jury is still out...not sure if I should submit more names, as names pending in the cue waiting for logos jumped back 20 spaces. What's the turn around time? On the front end, names being approved are on par with namerific, BB is very slow, w/o a yay or a nay, though maybe once the names are approved it may be faster going into the description, logo stage.

Also, paying more than $100 on logos for names valued at under 2k, is it worth it to pay more. Does it make a difference? How long to wait till name is published? Do the logo designers pick and choose? The $10 fee, what does that insure? The idea behind BR is a sped up process, how long must one wait...

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
@Cristi Marin

I have had a good rapport with Michael and whenever I needed to remove a name, make a change, or have a question - I simply send him an email to [email protected] in advance of the situation and always mention any changes with a 30 day transition window in mind.

For example, I recently acquired a sizable Brandroot portfolio. After the sale, I proactively informed Michael of the situation to ensure he was aware of the reason my account was jumping in size and so many names were being transferred to me.

As it relates to your situation, sorry to hear your account has been suspended.

Curious, did you send him a heads up email with the 30 day change requirement? Or was it a situation where some of your names were unavailable (or had accidentally expired) and Michael contacted you to inquire about the names? Yes, embarrassed to say, I had a couple names that somehow came close to expiring and (fortunately) received a notice from Brandroot recently indicating the 2 domains were in jeopardy of being unpublished. I quickly renewed them and appreciated the heads up. My bad. And fortunately I had the heads up.

I guess what I am curious about is... who initiated the heads up on the removal (unpublshing) of your domains? You proactively? Or Michael after finding the names were unavailable, expired, or soon to expire?

Admittedly, over the past 3 years I've had a positive experience with the Brandroot site (and with Micheal) so I am sorry to hear about your situation, but am curious about the dynamics of how it transpired. Yes, Michael is direct, but I take that as refreshing as there's too much BS sugar-coating and deception going on in some of these other marketplaces..

Thank you for any feedback you are willing to share about the timeline of events.
-Jim

•••
This is not new I would say. I applied for an account there when they then suspended the process and there was even a 499$ price to open.

I completely forgot about it then suddenly after more than a year I received an email saying my application has been accepted. I told them I had invested in many other places so I am not invest.

I was told that I will get my names moved freely and I moved some names. I some names there for more than six months I think.

Then I asked to remove nine names. I received an email from them telling me they removed all my names and account closed and that they care only on dedicated people lol. The names where not sold. They were pointing to their respective landing pages so I was kinda surprised why would they make such move.

What is interesting is I was about to give them 1K investment and add names.

I replied with a nice message saying it is nice thing what they did and thanked them. :)

To be honest, I was pretty happy because I did not like their responses before. For example, I told them that most of my names are missing categories and keywords. I was told sorry, you are supposed to set these when you are submitting for publishing and nothing can be done. Can you believe that? Amazing really but hey, It is not my marketplace so good for them lol

•••
This is not new I would say. I applied for an account there when they then suspended the process and there was even a 499$ price to open.

I completely forgot about it then suddenly after more than a year I received an email saying my application has been accepted. I told them I had invested in many other places so I am not invest.

I was told that I will get my names moved freely and I moved some names. I some names there for more than six months I think.

Then I asked to remove nine names. I received an email from them telling me they removed all my names and account closed and that they care only on dedicated people lol. The names where not sold. They were pointing to their respective landing pages so I was kinda surprised why would they make such move.

What is interesting is I was about to give them 1K investment and add names.

I replied with a nice message saying it is nice thing what they did and thanked them. :)

To be honest, I was pretty happy because I did not like their responses before. For example, I told them that most of my names are missing categories and keywords. I was told sorry, you are supposed to set these when you are submitting for publishing and nothing can be done. Can you believe that? Amazing really but hey, It is not my marketplace so good for them lol
Guess Brandroot are so rigid and strict. That might hinder their growth anyway

Last edited:
•••
I was trying to buy some names awhile back from another NPer for BR and then found out I couldn't get an account no matter what so I had to drop the sale. Bummer because I looked forward to have more options.

•••
Guess Brandroot are so rigid and strict. That might hinder their growth anyway
That is not being strict. That is being unprofessional.

No rules were broken and all their TOS were being accepted but they replied with that message and did that action.

I dont recommend dealing with this one man show website that lacks professionalism.

•••
I was trying to buy some names awhile back from another NPer for BR and then found out I couldn't get an account no matter what so I had to drop the sale. Bummer because I looked forward to have more options.
Good for you. The owner who is the one man show is terrible to deal with.

•••
Hey there fellow NPers,
People who knows me here or outside this community knows that I'm not an antagonist nor do I see the point on wasting time and energy going into disputes or anything alike.

I'm a thou a true believer in sharing thoughts and experiences with the community, that way we can all learn from eachter and grow together.

I'm here just to express in a few words my deepest disappointment with @Brandroot or to be more precise with Michael Rader.

From a tech standpoint the platform is quite good, clean & easy UI with innovative and useful features.

However, all I want to say is...heads-up dear fellow domainers, even if you sold domains with BR before and you decide at some point that you want to unpublish some of your domains for good and pertinent reasons, there is a high chance that the access to your account will be suspended and you'll also might end up having your domains unpublished, of course with no possibility to get refund of your listing fees.

Take care and always learn from others experiences! :) ;)

Wise words sir, thank you for sharing. I think many need this warning before signing up at Brandroot. We clearly lay out every rule before a seller signs up and even require multiple "Accept" buttons to ensure they are reading each one carefully.

Brandroot is a successful business (Over 1M in sales last year), and has always been profitable, but that is not to say that we have unlimited resources and time. As you know, the site is essentially run by only myself currently, with a bit of hired on help and a couple full-time developers. When my time is diverted from running the business to handling a seller's domain portfolio, especially when the seller has been a member for less than a year, and especially when the infractions are more than one, I have to take quick action to prevent my time being wasted again in the future.

I've learned many lessons in the domain industry over the years, one of them being that when a domain seller shows signs of unprofessionalism very early on, problems from that seller tend to mount and become more frequent, which is why Brandroot has so many rules in place.

I'm sorry that our partnership did not go well. It's not personal, it's a matter of running an efficient and reliable marketplace for my buyers.

•••
Hi Jim,

Please accept my apologies for my late reply, I've been a little more busy than usual I didn't had time to follow up here.Thank you for your thoughts, appreciated!

As I stated before I don't see the value of wasting time and energy going into disputes nor do I want to turn this thread into a 'He said, I said' situation.

Yes, I am and was aware of the rule which states the following:

When you want to unlist one or more of your domains at Brandroot you may do so by using the "Unlist" option on your Published Domains page. You area required to state your reason for removal and this will not remove your domains immediately. Exactly 30 days from your request the domain will automatically be deleted from Brandroot Requesting the removal of a domain will also result in a review of your account, a close monitoring of the removed domain(s) and may or may not result in the permanent disabling of your account.

However, to answer your question if a few words...
I've initiated the request to unlist of a few domains from the platform, domains which were listed since I had my account opened, can't remember exactly the date, late 2015 or earlier 2016.

I've sent a reasonable and pertinent explanation regarding my request.
Even thou the domains got regular visits and clicks, I felt it's time to try a different exposure and marketing strategy.

I did that via the platform and later on via email and I even let BrandRoot's nameservers on them for the next 30 days even thou it was not required to have the nameservers on (I don't know if they changed that now) when you ask for a domain to be unlisted.

But that's in the past ..."eppur si muove". I hope this cleared up the fog on your question.

•••
@AAAH,
While I feel sorry for your experience with them, I have to say that opening a new account and hide from an avatar just to share your thoughts and not owning what you are saying from your real account is unbecoming...no offence.

Alway be true with yourself and own what you say and do, bad or good. ;)

•••
Michael,
You don't have to be so formal with me, we've always talked casual... :)

I understand your point, and I do acknowledge that it's your 'playground' after all and you are entitled to apply the rules as you find fit.

Personal or not, I really want to say that even thou I was disappointed on your decision, that's in the past, I've never been one to hold a grudge, my heart doesn't work that way.

I'm sorry too that our partnership did not go well, but it turns out it was for the best, hopefully for the both of us.

There is just one small friendly advice I'd like to share with you if I may.
Do you best and remember that customers and sellers alike are humans, with flaws I might add, so please don't treat them just as opportunities or prospects like other businesses are doing it.

Humanness is not just a concept...✌

•••
Brandroot has never been a friendly place for brandable domainers, I have no idea how they can have 1M sales per year. One thing is sure, that this business model won't last long without a change.

•••
How do i delete/cancel/remove a published name from brandroot

•••
When is the last time anyone sold a domain on BR?

•••
Last edited:
•••
Wise words sir, thank you for sharing. I think many need this warning before signing up at Brandroot. We clearly lay out every rule before a seller signs up and even require multiple "Accept" buttons to ensure they are reading each one carefully.

Brandroot is a successful business (Over 1M in sales last year), and has always been profitable, but that is not to say that we have unlimited resources and time. As you know, the site is essentially run by only myself currently, with a bit of hired on help and a couple full-time developers. When my time is diverted from running the business to handling a seller's domain portfolio, especially when the seller has been a member for less than a year, and especially when the infractions are more than one, I have to take quick action to prevent my time being wasted again in the future.

I've learned many lessons in the domain industry over the years, one of them being that when a domain seller shows signs of unprofessionalism very early on, problems from that seller tend to mount and become more frequent, which is why Brandroot has so many rules in place.

I'm sorry that our partnership did not go well. It's not personal, it's a matter of running an efficient and reliable marketplace for my buyers.

hello @Brandroot
I registered 1 year at Brandroot, but until now my account has not been approved.

can you help to approve my account request?

best regards

•••
When is the last time anyone sold a domain on BR?

They were absolutely killing it till mid 2018 and then complete silence since then.

They ran into problems with https and search around that time, but our puzzles me that so much could depend just on that or that they never recovered since.

•••
•••
What's charges of Brand root -
Listing/commission ?

•••
hello @Brandroot
I registered 1 year at Brandroot, but until now my account has not been approved.

can you help to approve my account request?

best regards

Same thing happened to me. They must have enough sellers.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back